How much does your gear cost for your hunts?

How much does your hunting gear cost for a hunt?

• <$1,000

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • $1,000-$5,000

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • $5,000-$10,000

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • $10,000+

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I can't count that high!

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

BuckSnort

WKR
As Ransom I would like the GPS coordinates to all yer favorite hunting spots, otherwise I will be forwarding these figures to all of you're wives....

You have 24hrs to meet my demands...

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
As Ransom I would like the GPS coordinates to all yer favorite hunting spots, otherwise I will be forwarding these figures to all of you're wives....

You have 24hrs to meet my demands...

19d 38'45,68" N 155d 22'51.04" W

Good luck!!

Well I am tipping $3700 just strapping the rifle to the pack before actually putting anything IN either... I am done playing this game...

2rocky

WKR
For insurance purposes right? I mean if you had to REPLACE all that stuff, How much would it cost?

I shudder to think what my inherited guns would cost to replace.

But Really you should amortize that over the years of use.

A $500 elk tag is only good for one year but my rifle will last for 30 years..

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have about 6k in just optics and tripod. I don't want to say any further, just in case my wife looks through my history. As far as she knows it is all stuff I picked up at WalMart.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't put a price tag on quality gear and our passion. If it is in your budget it is what it is:)

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
Can't put a price tag on quality gear and our passion. If it is in your budget it is what it is:)

I'm with ya! I make it work in my budget. All of my hunting stuff comes from me working side jobs. None of it comes from our joint checking or our normal income. Maybe thats why i only have a couple pairs of jeans, a few pairs of shorts, and like 10 tshirts!

hodgeman

WKR
Oh good Lord....I had to make myself stop counting after $10k.

My sanity, however, is priceless.

Thinking about it though...in 30 years will anyone remember or even care what the price tag on the rifle was? Never have seen a hearse pulling a Uhaul.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nothing, all this gear is simply bought for backpacking and scouting, its just a bonus that I get to use it in August-November. :D

Weeelllllllll, I'm a notoriously cheap bastege but even the cheap stuff adds up!

Less than $3000. And most of the expensive stuff I have (exped,Kifaru,Big Agnes,etc.) is Arons fault! He NEVER recommends cheap $hit! Mike

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
As far as she knows it is all stuff I picked up at WalMart.

My wife knows that I didn't buy it at WalMart. Need to buy another gun safe, but I think she would really notice that. After I made my post, I realized that I hadn't thought about the boots, the watch, the camera.... Unless you are shopping at WalMart, you would probably be shocked at what the retail replacement cost would be. Makes me cringe thinking about leaving my gun case and checked bag when I fly. I normally put the optics and camera in my carry on bag due to the value. I usually end up buying some insurance to cover such trips.

Jon Boy

WKR
Hmm after really thinking about it, strapped down and ready for the back country im 3k+. Doesnt sound like much, but its a lot more than I expected and I only have $800 into optics! Oh yah and im not done buying stuff for this season :D

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Come on BB, we all are curious about yours. You can exclude optics if you want.

I'll add mine up tomorrow. Too late to think that hard.

Ozz08

WKR
Cameron,

I started to add it up, but now I have decided I don't think I will fully participate in this thread, for health reasons.

I'm with ya on this one BB! I started to add it up then I realized I still wasn't even in the same zip code on what I spend for waterfowl gear and I almost had a heart attack! I have serious issues. My duck And goose calls alone equal my gear for backcountry big game.

slim9300

WKR
Enough that I would actually cry if I somehow lost it. Maybe for weeks, IDK.

If my wife had any idea what all my stuff cost she would choke on her mocha. It's a good thing we make the same amount of money. :)

1000 dollar pack
1500 in bow and sight/rest/quiver/release/arrows etc
1500 optics
1000 sleeping set up
1500 hunting clothes and boots

Adds up quick. 6500 right there and i havent gone into the other gear like survival/game bags/water stuff/ and other accessories. And im on the low side i believe!

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I completed this exercise as I was hiking out after an unsuccessful solo trip... I was going up a steep hill on the way out and started adding up how many $$$ (and weight) I was carrying. I don't believe it was a pretty number. Of course, I've since purchased more stuff, I don't plan on adding it up again though.

I completed this exercise as I was hiking out after an unsuccessful solo trip... I was going up a steep hill on the way out and started adding up how many $$$ (and weight) I was carrying. I don't believe it was a pretty number. Of course, I've since purchased more stuff, I don't plan on adding it up again though.
Golden rules to back pack hunting.... Ounces add up to pounds.... dollars and pounds are inversely proportionate...