how much does your elk rifle weigh?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have a 338 06 that weighs 8.5 lbs scoped. I'm just wondering if I need to add a lightweight rifle to my safe.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm pretty sure that my scoped 7mag weighs more than that. My lightweight elk weapon is my bow.......and many archers think that's too heavy.

jtw

WKR
My 30-06 w/scope weighs about 7.5 and I have no trouble packing it around in elk country. My dad's tops 12 lbs and he refuses to go lighter (he loves his pretty gun).

Brado16

WKR
338 Lapua weighs in at 18 pounds- NF scope, Atlas bipod, 5 round magazine and sling- taken 1 elk in CO and an Elk and Mtn Goat in B.C.

Have a new "Light Weight" Elk rifle this year, 6.5 SAUM that weighs in at about 10.5 pounds field ready. Personally I find I am able to shoot a heavier rifle better in field positions than a light weight magnum and would rather carry a heavier rifle but thats just me.

Bar

Banned
I use a sidelock muzzleloader with open sights. It weighs 9lbs. I don't bother with a sling. I just carry it in one hand hanging at my side. I never feels heavy, and i'm 72. It prefer less recoil, and steady hold of a heavy barreled gun.

You youngsters shouldn't need a light gun.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
My 7mm wsm weighs in at 8lbs 8.6oz with 4 rounds and scope cover. I would be happy if it lost a pound but that's as light as I want to practice with. I'll probably end up at the same weight with the 6.5 saum I'm currently building.

Wyfox

FNG
My current elk rifles are from 8-9lbs scoped. I had a Kimber Montana in 300wsm with talley LW rings and a 3-9 Swarovski that was great to carry but brutal to shoot and very hard to be stable for extended range shots. It is now at the smith getting a #4 contour barrel in 6.5saum, Hoping it comes in at 7.5-8lbs w/o optic.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be hasty, the lightweight guys will be along shortly. Kind of a tweeter here, 6 lb 8 oz Rem 700ti in 270 w/ Leupold 2.5-8 scope.

Bar

Banned
I sure wouldn't pay extra for a light rifle. If that's the way it came i'd just deal with it, and put a Simms pad on it to help recoil.

rayporter

WKR
my elk rifle is over 8.5 lbs. but it was put together right by nelson berger and has been a shooter. i dont shoot walts bullets in it, just speers. it is getting just a tad finicky and should be re-barreled.

if i had not collected so many SS checks i would be building a new rifle and it for sure would weigh a LOT less.

the irony is that i did build a light rifle once but chose a caliber for deer, never thinking i would hunt elk or moose. it is a sweet little mauser. the action was cut down to make a mini mauser and the stock suits me perfectly even though it is wood. but it does not get used much as i live and hunt shot gun only zones.

7stw

WKR
My light 7stw with scope and loaded weighs 8lb 6oz. My backup kimber weighs just under 9lbs with glass and ammo. Don't want one much lighter myself I'd rather shave weight on other gear.

My Weatherby .340 weighs 9 pounds scoped, with sling, and loaded. I like the weight, it keeps the recoil manageable. I bought it in 1989, and it shoots the 210 grain Nosler Partition Factory loads into a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. It is my favorite rifle in my gun safe. It has gone with me on 24 Elk hunts and has done the job on every trip, accounting for 24 Bulls. It is not too much to carry through the Mountains of New Mexico.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana 84M in .308Win. with a Leupy 3-9x40 sitting in Talley LW's - 6#'s 0 oz.. I am usually on the move and glassing in between. 165gr Accubonds with 3 cows and 1 bull so far. The other 8 elk were with a variety of calibers - .270Win., 300WSM, 300WM, 30-06 and .338WM. As always, a good bullet in the right place equals success. Good luck this season!

338 Lapua weighs in at 18 pounds- NF scope, Atlas bipod, 5 round magazine and sling- taken 1 elk in CO and an Elk and Mtn Goat in B.C.

Have a new "Light Weight" Elk rifle this year, 6.5 SAUM that weighs in at about 10.5 pounds field ready. Personally I find I am able to shoot a heavier rifle better in field positions than a light weight magnum and would rather carry a heavier rifle but thats just me.

Wow! My Barrett 98B is light and I didn't know it.