How much better is K4 than Kuiu?

OP
R

Red33

FNG
Update: Got the K4 and like it, but the 23.5" frame is just too short. Now I have to send it back for a 25", and shipping sure isn't cheap. So far I like it better than the Kuiu under load; it doesn't sway as much and the hip belt is superior. However, the Kuiu is still far more comfortable when under 20lbs and the bag layout is much better for day trips, just not overnight trips. I probably just need more time for the K4 lumbar pad to break in, but with only 16 days until Elk opens and having to swap frames, I'm not sure if I'll have time to figure that out before getting on the mountain. Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Update: Got the K4 and like it, but the 23.5" frame is just too short. Now I have to send it back for a 25", and shipping sure isn't cheap. So far I like it better than the Kuiu under load; it doesn't sway as much and the hip belt is superior. However, the Kuiu is still far more comfortable when under 20lbs and the bag layout is much better for day trips, just not overnight trips. I probably just need more time for the K4 lumbar pad to break in, but with only 16 days until Elk opens and having to swap frames, I'm not sure if I'll have time to figure that out before getting on the mountain. Thanks again everyone for your comments.
You can ask them to send you a shipping label. You will only pay their cost which is pennies!

It'll be interesting to see if KUIU is announcing a new pack release at the end of their countdown (5 days).

chasewild

WKR
Gen. 1 icon I used in 2011 for 30 days (no weight -- used horses), 2012 for 15 days (max load was 75 lbs), 2014 for 4 days (when it snapped).

All you have to do is look at the shoulder stays. You could snap those things easily.

CJ19

WKR
Gen. 1 icon I used in 2011 for 30 days (no weight -- used horses), 2012 for 15 days (max load was 75 lbs), 2014 for 4 days (when it snapped).

All you have to do is look at the shoulder stays. You could snap those things easily.
Yea those shoulder pieces always worried me. Its the most comfy pack ive ever worn even though i have load concerns. I hunt mostly deer, so im not too concerned i guess. Always likedthe exo design. Co worker got 1 that i tried and his had a similiar bag design to my kuiu which i do like a lot. Have to admit i thought about switching. I am Not brand specific by any means but none kuiu has not let me down yet. Actually none of my OR, first lite, or sitka pieces have either.

I liked my kuiu until my first heavy pack out. Then couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Same, mine was horrible with a heavy load of meat and I shredded it in one season

I have a long list of things I despised on that pack, but obviously some do like them

For me, the k4 is in its own category, I don’t know what could be done to improve it, it is awesome empty or mega heavy, well thought out, light, great bag options… it’s pretty much the perfect pack for me, and better than I could design for sure… always liked exo, but they outdid themselves with the k4

Comfortable in hunting mode and lightweight like an exo, but turns into part of your back, rock solid and stable like a kifaru with brutally heavy loads… best of all worlds imo

Marble

WKR
I do not have either pack. I use kifaru stuff. We all know that they are heavier than the rest by a pound or two. But I do not care about a pound or two. I care about the 40-100 pounds range. I do not want a pack to put my back out to where i can not continue to hunt or hike. It seems like you are already on that mindset. Keep on it.

I'm not sure how the Exo does their pack, but on the kifaru I can adjust where the load lifters connect at. Sometimes messing with those helps ride comfort.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I'd bet if you call them they'll send longer frame stays.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Please call/email us today. And if you can, please send photos of you wearing the loaded pack. It would be great to double-check your fitting/adjustment before we swap stays. But if we need to swap stays, we'll certainly make that happen.

Pretty awesome to see the vendor on here helping out to make sure things end up right, It is a premium pack at a premium price, but with it you also get premium service, which is hard to come by these days !

OP
R

Red33

FNG
Please call/email us today. And if you can, please send photos of you wearing the loaded pack. It would be great to double-check your fitting/adjustment before we swap stays. But if we need to swap stays, we'll certainly make that happen.
I've been working with Jake and did all that. Thanks, Mark.

C Bow

WKR
I have enjoyed reading this. I have had a Kuiu pack and a Stone Glacier I have never even tried to carry over 60 lbs. Both packs worked great I must say the Stone Glacier seamed to fit better. I have also been on quite a few hunts with some hard core hunters and guides that hunt and guide for a living. The one thing they all had in common when it came to a pack was Barneys packs. I know they are heavy but when you put weight on them they all said there is no pack that can equal them for comfort and strength. Please understand this is not my opinion but people who make a living using them and can have any pack they want.

I’ll add to my original post that since making it, I carried 118# of deer and gear out with the K4 and had absolutely no discomfort from the pack at all.

I’m not sure the KUIU could have handled that weight, though I haven’t tried.