How many preference points should you bank up for Colorado Archery Elk Primary Draw?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Word on the streets is that Archery OTC tags are going to be thing of the past here in Colorado. I would bet the first few years of no OTC tags thee will be a bunch of 0 point draw units available. If you are not already a member of the Colorado Bowhunters Association (CBA) I suggest looking into it and becoming a member. They are the only archery specific orginization advocating for us pointy stick and string folks.
As a resident who has been active in the pursuit of the "word on the street", where are you seeing this? The commission completely disregarded the results of last years surveys. They placate to desires of the outfitters.

The primary resident propsal that has had the most support is OTC archery for R and OTC Caps or Fully Limited for NRs.

The commission WHILE DURING COMMITTEE indicated it is their JOB to protect revenue streams!
If anything is going to change it will be the result of legislative pressures. Those pressures will have to come from both sides of the isle.

Until then, I do not expect to see any changes. And I say this while being an active participant at commission meetings, round tables, and CPW town hall meetings. Its comical.

MHB

FNG
As a resident who has been active in the pursuit of the "word on the street", where are you seeing this? The commission completely disregarded the results of last years surveys. They placate to desires of the outfitters.

The primary resident propsal that has had the most support is OTC archery for R and OTC Caps or Fully Limited for NRs.

The commission WHILE DURING COMMITTEE indicated it is their JOB to protect revenue streams!
If anything is going to change it will be the result of legislative pressures. Those pressures will have to come from both sides of the isle.

Until then, I do not expect to see any changes. And I say this while being an active participant at commission meetings, round tables, and CPW town hall meetings. Its comical.
Please note that I am only refering to OTC Archery tags not later Rifle OTC opportunities.

To your point the outfitters are stating that public land OTC archery is having a negative impact for the later firearm season. In the last several years we have seen several OTC units become draw units for the archery season, but remain OTC for the later rifle seasons (Units 42, 52, 411, 421, 441, and 521) last year units 80, and 81 went draw for archery and are OTC for 2nd and 3 rifle. Several years before that we had several others units in the south west go from OTC for archery to Draw, but remain OTC for later rifle seasons. Now granted these are not exactly comparing apples to apples because the Archery OTC tags were either sex and while the 2nd and 3rd rifle tags are bull only Archers are still losing OTC opportunities.

I agree with the primary proposal to maintain OTC archery opportunities for Residents and have OTC with Caps, or Draw only for non-resident. To your point I do not see this happening either because it could negatively impact the revinue stream.

Hello all,

• As a new hunter in Colorado, I'm trying to determine a strategy for the preference points to draw good units in the future/now.
  • Curious to hear opinions on if you should just start saving up preference points by putting the automatic point code as your first choice and going for some of the easier units to draw for choices 2-4.
    • In this option, how many points would you consider enough to start applying for good units (not the best but better than the OTC units).
      • If grading units A,B,C for primary draw (based on quality of the units and statistics) I'm looking for B units.
        • Or save up for the top shelf A?
  • Or strategy 2 is just apply for the unit you want (within reason) and if you get it you get it.

• Which option do you think has more merit?

Thanks,
Find a unit that you want to spend your preference points on, and then hunt the OTC next to it.

said before. Hunt otc while you can. Most likely gone in ‘25. Build points concurrently. But don’t buy your license until after you try leftover list sale.
I understand you’re a new hunter. Why archery? Especially if you want to get meat.
The best kill/learning progression is rifle/muzzleloader/compound/recurve/long bow. Graduate each level before moving on. Most of my bowhunting clients and friends on average took 6-7 years before killing their first elk with a bow.
As for uncrowded, archery is way worse in my opinion. Thank god otc archery is going away.
Absolutely agree man… we are in a sorry state here, figuratively and literally. I guess my whole gripe with it is, if you want reduce otc tags look at both rifle and archery, it’s funny how they keep making archery units draw but won’t touch those dang rifle otc units
Archery participation has increased over 100% in the last 7 years based on license sales. It’s a zoo. In the same period of time otc rifle participation has Decreased 20%.

I would also focus on hunting as many consecutive days as possible. One long trip is far better than broken up short ones. Right when you find elk, it’ll be time to go home.

Hnthrdr

WKR
said before. Hunt otc while you can. Most likely gone in ‘25. Build points concurrently. But don’t buy your license until after you try leftover list sale.
I understand you’re a new hunter. Why archery? Especially if you want to get meat.
The best kill/learning progression is rifle/muzzleloader/compound/recurve/long bow. Graduate each level before moving on. Most of my bowhunting clients and friends on average took 6-7 years before killing their first elk with a bow.
As for uncrowded, archery is way worse in my opinion. Thank god otc archery is going away.

Archery participation has increased over 100% in the last 7 years based on license sales. It’s a zoo. In the same period of time otc rifle participation has Decreased 20%.

I would also focus on hunting as many consecutive days as possible. One long trip is far better than broken up short ones. Right when you find elk, it’ll be time to go home.
While I agree archery has shot up, it is still dwarfed by rifle tag numbers. The state is managing for dollars and not for 1. Herd health 2. Resident hunters when Dow got hitched with parks, heck probably before that they smelled money and lost sight of what fish and game management is supposed to be about. Managing healthy herds for the residents of the state and secondary to that, to all NR hunters, more like Alaska’s approach

OTC will be nonexistent in 3 years...everything will be draw.
Question. I am moving to Colorado in like 6 weeks. Why can't CPW do away with OTC for non residents and residents can purchase "general tags" like how it is in Wyoming? Sure I understand Colorado and Wyoming are much different in terms of population among other aspects. Just wondering how Colorado can preserve as much resident opportunity as possible.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Question. I am moving to Colorado in like 6 weeks. Why can't CPW do away with OTC for non residents and residents can purchase "general tags" like how it is in Wyoming? Sure I understand Colorado and Wyoming are much different in terms of population among other aspects. Just wondering how Colorado can preserve as much resident opportunity as possible.
Welcome to Co… problem is the State could care less about residents and manages for dollars, get used to getting the shaft as a resident

Welcome to Co… problem is the State could care less about residents and manages for dollars, get used to getting the shaft as a resident
Such a shame. State game agencies should be looking out for their residents ensuring their taxpayers have quality hunting opportunities rather than chasing dollar signs or anything else.

OP
Chrizmac1995

I think the main charm of archery for me is the ability to hunt all of September in the rut, and the primitive nature of archery. I’m pretty confident in my shooting skills. It’s mostly the stalk planning and thermals that concern me.

That’s an interesting perspective about having different levels/a progression of hunting. Maybe if I don’t get an elk in Archery I’ll swing down to Scheels and get a rifle.

I had no idea that archery was growing so exponentially and rifle was the opposite. Makes sense though with people like Camron Haynes, and Joe Rogan being vocal about it. Hopefully since I’m backpack hunting I can get somewhat away from the crowds

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Many of the once OTC units/seasons will probably be 100% draw odds/second choice for a while, you just have to remember to apply.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think the main charm of archery for me is the ability to hunt all of September in the rut, and the primitive nature of archery. I’m pretty confident in my shooting skills. It’s mostly the stalk planning and thermals that concern me.

That’s an interesting perspective about having different levels/a progression of hunting. Maybe if I don’t get an elk in Archery I’ll swing down to Scheels and get a rifle.

I had no idea that archery was growing so exponentially and rifle was the opposite. Makes sense though with people like Camron Haynes, and Joe Rogan being vocal about it. Hopefully since I’m backpack hunting I can get somewhat away from the crowds
Buddy out of all the hunting seasons archery guys backpack the most, not saying you can’t do it and get away, but that’s what a lot of archery guys do. Also as a new hunter I strongly recommend figuring out your range (distance) for packing meat. Lots of guys can pack back in 7-10 miles but getting 200-300lbs of meat out plus your camp before the meat spoils is a very different story

OP
Chrizmac1995
Buddy out of all the hunting seasons archery guys backpack the most, not saying you can’t do it and get away, but that’s what a lot of archery guys do. Also as a new hunter I strongly recommend figuring out your range (distance) for packing meat. Lots of guys can pack back in 7-10 miles but getting 200-300lbs of meat out plus your camp before the meat spoils is a very different story
Since I’m solo hunting I plan not to hunt more than 4 miles from an access road. I’ll let all the 2-4 man groups hunt deep.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Since I’m solo hunting I plan not to hunt more than 4 miles from an access road. I’ll let all the 2-4 man groups hunt deep.
That’s a good call, also remember terrain dictates most of this can have an absolutely terrible 1.5 mile hike, but an easy 5-6 miles it terrain and trails make it that way. In addition I pack several contractor 3-4 mil trash bags, if it’s hot I will 1. Cool meat down by hanging it in shade in game bags, then 2. Submerged it in a running stream or spring in the contractor bag out of direct sunlight, don’t get the meat wet and those creeks are basically natures fridge . Happy hunting

had no idea that archery was growing so exponentially and rifle was the opposite. Makes sense though with people like Camron Haynes, and Joe Rogan being vocal about it. Hopefully since I’m backpack hunting I can get somewhat away from the crowds
It’s like Harley-Davidson. Their sales demographic was getting too old to ride. If they didn’t appeal to young riders that business would die in a heartbeat.
Same as hunting, younger guys spend less money and all of them DIY for 4 miles in cheap as hell. Trust me, I’m still am doing it 20 years since my first bow kill. It’s your participation that’s the most important part here. The old rifle guys are dying off, or will we just replace them?
I started with a rifle cow, solo. Think about it. Way less meat and it was hard enough, but encouraging to get to the next level.
Then again, you might go out and stick a 390” bull the first morning. Either way just being out there and voting to keep us all hunting, that’s a huge thing and happy you’re getting going.

OP
Chrizmac1995
It’s like Harley-Davidson. Their sales demographic was getting too old to ride. If they didn’t appeal to young riders that business would die in a heartbeat.
Same as hunting, younger guys spend less money and all of them DIY for 4 miles in cheap as hell. Trust me, I’m still am doing it 20 years since my first bow kill. It’s your participation that’s the most important part here. The old rifle guys are dying off, or will we just replace them?
I started with a rifle cow, solo. Think about it. Way less meat and it was hard enough, but encouraging to get to the next level.
Then again, you might go out and stick a 390” bull the first morning. Either way just being out there and voting to keep us all hunting, that’s a huge thing and happy you’re getting going.
Agreed. Gone are the days of super expensive wall tent hunts!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m trying to get involved in the community by joining thing like RMEF and other organizations.

Seems like the trend these days is that hunting is bad and we should just eat impossible burgers and all be vegan, which makes no sense to me.

Hopefully I get into some Elk this season, either way I’m just happy to have pulled the trigger on getting into hunting. I can’t wait for my first locator bugle at sunrise.

Lots of pre season weekend scouting is my my future to increase my odds. Fingers crossed for some beginners luck.

Best,

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to nominate you for the FNG Rokslide award. Great question.

Aerosith

FNG
1. Building points is a good short term idea! But you are never going to catch those top end units.
2. Game quality is seemingly rapidly decreasing all across Colorado! The increase of tags, knowledge, hard core hunters, and change of season dates are diminishing the age class and genetics.
3. Search for over looked units! You may have better opportunities to kill more often, and pursue better animals while hunting the same low point units more times.
4. Colorado is going down a dark road! The political landscape in Colorado is looking like it is trending to the point of hunting being banned, hunt there while you can and be a vocal supporter of our hunting rights.
5. Look at second choice hunts and leftover tags. You can draw tags and build points at the same time.

Last edited: