How many preference points should you bank up for Colorado Archery Elk Primary Draw?

Hello all,

• As a new hunter in Colorado, I'm trying to determine a strategy for the preference points to draw good units in the future/now.
  • Curious to hear opinions on if you should just start saving up preference points by putting the automatic point code as your first choice and going for some of the easier units to draw for choices 2-4.
    • In this option, how many points would you consider enough to start applying for good units (not the best but better than the OTC units).
      • If grading units A,B,C for primary draw (based on quality of the units and statistics) I'm looking for B units.
        • Or save up for the top shelf A?
  • Or strategy 2 is just apply for the unit you want (within reason) and if you get it you get it.

• Which option do you think has more merit?

Thanks,

Colorado is a pure PP state, so only top point holders draw the good units. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably never be able to draw the top units at this point in time with point creep, unless you feel like waiting 30+ years.

Hunt OTC, learn a few units really well, you'll start finding some success if you put in the time and efforts. Or burn your points every 2-3 years on (maybe) a slightly better unit than some OTC units.

Just get out and hunt.

OP
Chrizmac1995
Colorado is a pure PP state, so only top point holders draw the good units. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably never be able to draw the top units at this point in time with point creep, unless you feel like waiting 30+ years.

Hunt OTC, learn a few units really well, you'll start finding some success if you put in the time and efforts. Or burn your points every 2-3 years on (maybe) a slightly better unit than some OTC units.

Just get out and hunt.
Thats crazy to hear.

I guess I'll just hunt OTC in that case. The main reason I wanted limited units was just for less pressure, but since I'll be hunting archery hopefully it wont be as crowded as rifle season.

Thanks.

Jethro

WKR
Strategy 2 is a non-starter. You either have the points to be in the running or you don’t. There is no “if you get it you get it”. Draw reports will show you that info.

OP
Chrizmac1995
Colorado has what they call the hybrid draw, maybe look into that. But all in all go hunting.
That's not a bad idea. Maybe just bank of the 5 preference points needed for this and then apply to the hybrid every year after until I get one in the lottery.

Until then I'll just get to know 1 or 2 OTC units well.

Thanks

Hello all,

• As a new hunter in Colorado, I'm trying to determine a strategy for the preference points to draw good units in the future/now.
  • Curious to hear opinions on if you should just start saving up preference points by putting the automatic point code as your first choice and going for some of the easier units to draw for choices 2-4.
    • In this option, how many points would you consider enough to start applying for good units (not the best but better than the OTC units).
      • If grading units A,B,C for primary draw (based on quality of the units and statistics) I'm looking for B units.
        • Or save up for the top shelf A?
  • Or strategy 2 is just apply for the unit you want (within reason) and if you get it you get it.

• Which option do you think has more merit?

Thanks,
Everyone has different strategies. Some like purely OTC, that's what I used to do as a new hunter bc I just wanted to be out there hunting. I hunt mid rage units with points. So I'll save up 5-6 points and hunt a decent unit every 5-6 years. Then hunt OTC unit you draw your tag so you have the experience needed when you finally get the tag you want. I personally wouldn't go for a top tier tag just bc its going to take 27-30 years it grab a tag. Unless they really start increasing the tags given out.

WKR
Find an OTC unit you like while you can. In the meantime put in for 39. You can draw 39 with 2 points, higher success rate, can scout it easily from front range, and actually has some decent bulls in it. What I used to do when I hunted elk more often.

Thats crazy to hear.

I guess I'll just hunt OTC in that case. The main reason I wanted limited units was just for less pressure, but since I'll be hunting archery hopefully it wont be as crowded as rifle season.

Thanks.
With OTC if you're not entering the draw to build points you don't have to buy a qualifying license I believe, and no draw fees, so you save a good bit of cash (you didn't say if you're an R so assuming NR).

OP
Chrizmac1995
Everyone has different strategies. Some like purely OTC, that's what I used to do as a new hunter bc I just wanted to be out there hunting. I hunt mid rage units with points. So I'll save up 5-6 points and hunt a decent unit every 5-6 years. Then hunt OTC unit you draw your tag so you have the experience needed when you finally get the tag you want. I personally wouldn't go for a top tier tag just bc its going to take 27-30 years it grab a tag. Unless they really start increasing the tags given out.
It seems like around 5 points is the sweet spot for ROI since you also have the choice of the hybrid draw if you want to try your luck.
Don't think I have the willpower to save anything more than that.

I want to meet these people who've been hoarding points for 30 years and just hunting OTC!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well got a year or two left before all archery is draw so there is that, then points will only go up, get excited 😊

CMF

WKR
Resident or NR? Hunting other states or not? Are you looking for a trophy or just want to kill an elk? Do you want to hunt every year?

OP
Chrizmac1995
Resident or NR? Hunting other states or not? Are you looking for a trophy or just want to kill an elk? Do you want to hunt every year?
Resident of Colorado Springs.
Since I’m a new hunter no plans currently to hunt another state. Too expensive for me!
At this point just getting a bull to fill the freezer would be huge.
Yes, Id like to hunt archery elk every year. (2 three/four day hunts or one 7 day hunt per season)

Thanks,