how many elk calls and what type?

In the interest in lightening up my entire pack weight I have made significant gains in the last several months with new gear purchases.

I have, in the past, taken mulitple game calls. Just like turkey hunting I have tried reed, mouth and squeeze calls to mix up the sounds and sound like different elk.

Just wondering what bugle people recommend (I am looking to upgrade) and how many and what type of calls everyone would suggest (i.e. only one cow call; one of each type; etc.).

Just so it goes without say . . .I do have a small pocket carrier for multiple mouth reeds (e.g. single doulbe and triple reed and a small single for 'spike' bull sounds - my fav).

Thanks in advance and good luck to all this season !

J.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your looking for a new Grunt Tube check out Elknut or Bugling Bull Game Calls. As to the number and what type of calls. Variety is always good. I will carry two 1-2 open style calls, and 4 different reeds (2 for cows and 2 for bulls). The key I have found is to find calls that you can become proficient with and that you have confidence in.

littlebuf

Banned
i use rocky's calls and one of his old bugles.i only use mouth reeds.i tried one of those bugles with the rubber band or what ever it is and it just feels weird and gimikie.i can make way more sounds with my mouth reeds. as for number i carry one bugle tube and probably 4 different sounding reeds.two of which i can make sound just like an elk,the mellow yellow and the estrus excited. that yellow one doubles as my bugle and sounds great. so i don't really know why i carry the others,i never use them. i think if you know how to use it one reed and a bugle tube does the job.but its fun to play with um and see what reaction you get

rhendrix

WKR
I need to learn how to use a reed...all I've got is a Primos Elk Call, it just doesn't sound right to me. I should post up a video to see if anyone has any pointers.

i'm thinning mine this year too. i'll have a few diaphrams, a grunt tube a Carltons Fightin Cow and the temptress.

KMT

WKR
In the field, I take two double reed diaphram calls (one is a spare in case one tears), a 10 year old reed call (no idea what brand), and a $3 bugle tube that I found at a hardware store. The diaphram call can serve as a cow and calf call and sounds like a small or big bull, depending on how I use it in the bugle tube.

RUTTIN

WKR
I carry 2 mouth reeds, 2 external reed cow calls (because sometimes they stick and a fresh one is always good) and I carry Bugling Bulls Monarch for bugles. It is a little lighter than the extend-able one they have.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I typically use one reed - Brown bugling bull game calls - Rockie Jacobsen and a tube I've had for years. I carry a few spare reeds. You can make pretty much every sound in the book with it. By far the best sounding and most versatile reed I have ever used. Probably going on 10+ years and I couldn't even guess how many bulls we've called in and taken using this reed. I usually have to blow it hard for an hour or so to break them in. After that, they're good to go. Always keep about 3 - 5 ready to sweet talk or harrass a bull into range. Sometimes I will bite the horse-shoe to bend it and relieve a little tension to "tune" the sound. You can also adjust the tang that way if needed.

a3dhunter

WKR
I typically use one reed - Brown bugling bull game calls - Rockie Jacobsen and a tube I've had for years. I carry a few spare reeds. You can make pretty much every sound in the book with it. By far the best sounding and most versatile reed I have ever used. Probably going on 10+ years and I couldn't even guess how many bulls we've called in and taken using this reed. I usually have to blow it hard for an hour or so to break them in. After that, they're good to go. Always keep about 3 - 5 ready to sweet talk or harrass a bull into range. Sometimes I will bite the horse-shoe to bend it and relieve a little tension to "tune" the sound. You can also adjust the tang that way if needed.

Thanks for the info Darin, I love the brown one as well. Have never tried adjusting or tuning the way you talked about. I may have to give it a try. Thanks again.