How Many Days for your Bear Hunt?

I've carved out 5, possibly 6 days for my bear hunt this year and hope that's enough. Last year, we allotted 6 but only 2 of those days were decent weather. The other 4 it was either snowing or raining; which isn't good for bear hunting. Though, we're going later in the season this year.

How many days are you planning to get it done?

colby12

WKR
I plan on 14 ideally. Been on trips as short as 3 and got it done been the whole 14 with sweet pics and nothing else. Work tends to get in the way sometimes which is a bummer.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
We have 8 days. Two of those being days we fly in and out which will amount to hopefully a productive evening.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how far you need to travel. I'm spoiled here on Vancouver Island for bears. But like to milk it out for more enjoyment. I know my areas very well, can get there in 3 hours, but still like to take at least 3 days to hunt. Will do this several times in the season.

If I had to travel greater distance for bears, I'd treat it like any other hunt and go for at least a week or more.

OP, I agree rainy days suck and you have to deal with the weather you have. But bears are voracious in the spring and will feed throughout the day regardless of weather. As long as you aren't fogged in or have a real low ceiling, glass west, south-west facing slopes. I camp where I can glass several slopes. Makes passing a crappy weather day more tolerable and productive. Rain or shine, you should be able to find them. And for me, wet pissy days that clear in late afternoon/early evening are money days!!!!

Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I usually go for 10-14 but if I had 3 I’d go for 3. Bad weather and spring go hand in hand in the mountains, hunt the days and weather you have.
I killed one last year on day 1 in the rain and then didn’t see another the next 7 days.

If I'm traveling out of state, then I'd give it a week. Weather will have zero impact on this as I'd be out the entire time no matter what. Tough to kill an animal hanging out in the tent or local restaurant waiting for better weather.

If hunting in my home state, I usually hunt lots of weekends throughout the multiple seasons up to the point of me killing one or its done for the year.

I have 11 days with 4 days total for travel. Coming from Missouri to somewhere in Idaho. We will be hunting regardless of weather. Any day hunting is better than any day at work so we will be enjoying all Idaho has in store for us.