How long to wait?

When developing a hunting load, how long do you wait between shots? I know it will vary between barrels, velocity ect. Question comes to mind if I have a group that is 1.5inches while shooting every 15 to 30 seconds, would it be a smaller group if say 10 minutes between shots. Like I said a hunting load, so a cold barrel shot will hopefully be the only one.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I just finished up some load development on my 300rum and for me I only wait between shots to cool down my barrel. No wait if the barrel isn't hot. If its hot I give it a bit to cool down then back to shooting. I see no variation in shot disbursement on a cold bore vs a warm one. A "cold bore shot" has typically been for me one where the barrel has not yet been fouled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
When developing a hunting load, how long do you wait between shots?
Long enough to chamber a round, settle in, and break the next shot. Usually 5 shot strings and let it cool.

I know it will vary between barrels, velocity ect. Question comes to mind if I have a group that is 1.5inches while shooting every 15 to 30 seconds, would it be a smaller group if say 10 minutes between shots.
Likely not. You'd have to shoot a decent sample of three shot strings into a group, and also cold bore shots into a group, to distinguish any credible difference. Typically the only thing that will cause a barrel to start pitching shots after a few is pent up stress in hammer forged or button rifled barrels that aren't properly stress relieved, but usually not within 3 shots from a cold bore.

Like I said a hunting load
Then shoot it like any realistic hunting situation, map the cold bore and subsequent. Hopefully the first one is the only one needed, but what about a follow up shot, or a second chance if there was an error made?

so a cold barrel shot will hopefully be the only one.
Cold bore shots are almost always just a part of the normal population a rifle will produce, most people just excuse them like fliers. Cold shooter has more of an impact than cold bore.

49ereric

WKR
Depends on the cartridge and whether or not it is a barrel burner and if you want to spend coin to rebarrel the rifle in the future.

OP
T
The cold shooter idea makes since. Thanks Harvey for breaking all that down.
I'll see what the Ole .270 will put together.