How long does a repackaged Dehydrated meal last in a ziplock

rcook10

WKR
I don’t get it. If you want to save volume of air, then open it a little, push air out, and zip lock back closed. This is like cutting the handle odd your toothbrush, but dumber.
Yeah, i usually just poke a tack hole into the top to let air move and then squeeze everything together in my food bag.

OP
I

id450

WKR
I’m happy to report 5 dinners and 2 breakfast worked out just perfect in the zip locks. A few nights I split up the meal ( 1000 calories + ) into two servings and twice choose not to consume all food I did not want to choke down by heating a entire meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod7rem

FNG
I repack mine with a Food Saver vacuum sealer. The packaging is a lot less bulk & weight, and very easy to burn if you decide to burn it during the trip.
The other reason I do this is because I always add extra ingredients (protein, fat, etc) to the meals. Some times I repackage from individual meal packages or from #10 cans.

To the OP original question: I've had some home-dehydrated meals in Zip-locs for years that were perfectly edible and without a plastic taste once cooked. I will toss them in the freezer (in general Zip-loc without an O2 absorber) if I plan to save them that long. I've left similarly packages out for an entire season (September-December) without issue. I can only imagine the uptick in salt + extra preservation in a commercial product vs mine to last even longer.

thatguy

FNG
I just repackaged 20 meals for a 10 day hunt. All MT House and Peak Refuel. Only saved 1# in weight. Now, the kicker is in the space savings. Couldn't fit all of them in one reusable shopping bag. After repackaging, they all fit easily. Plus the trash/dishes will be easy to clean up and hike out as well. Realistically, I probably didn't save any weight as now I'll need to pack paper towels to clean up the cooking bowl. So it's all space savings and cleanliness in reality. I just left the O2 packs in as well. Can't hurt. I also just eat what ever i bring home for lunch at work. Easy way to get rid of them. To the people poking holes, your still not saving as much space as you thought you were. The original packaging is just extra bulky for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I've dumped peak and mtn house in quart ziplocks without an oxogen absorber and eaten them a year after without any complaints. Whenever I bring the ziplock packaged meals on a hunt I always bring at least one original bag that I reuse for the zip locked meals and ramen noodles. Works great for me and it saves a noticeable amount of space. Also burns better than the freeze dried bags.

danwolf

FNG
Realistically, I probably didn't save any weight as now I'll need to pack paper towels to clean up the cooking bowl.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Little late but...

I hunted with a friend who repackaged his mountain house meals in zip locks. He placed the plastic bag with the food still in the bag in an extra titanium cup, then poured the hot water in from his jetboil. No clean up needed.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I repackaged some mountain house and peak refuel meals without the oxygen absorber and ate them a year later. I didn’t have any issues, but I’ve always had a tough gut lol

Anyone that doesn't get it just hasn't tried it.
It greatly reduces volume.
Seriously, for all the haters: go lay out 14 days worth of food in factory packaging. Then repackage it and notice the enormous difference in volume. Not to mention I don’t want to carry around 2 weeks worth of used Mtn House packaging after they’ve been used.

For the original question, I’ve used repackaged meals a full year after they’ve been in a ziploc with no issues whatsoever.

Wrench

WKR
I own a freeze dryer and I can say for a fact that some foods or bags will affect taste. I won't keep mine in a ziploc for more than a week or two after some bad experiences.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone that doesn't get it just hasn't tried it.
It greatly reduces volume.

^ this

pack 12 days of suppers on a quart ziplock and then compare with 12 suppers in their original packets and let me know which one is smaller volume :)

it also shaves a little weight, not a lot, but a little

the other advantage is you can take exactly the amount you want; when my wife goes, a full Peak meal is too much- I can package exactly the right amount

to the op- I usually pack one extra meal than I think I will need; this usually comes home with me and I use it on my next outing- I've used this extra meal (in a ziplock) a couple of months later w/ no ill effect

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...t-and-volume-of-your-backcountry-food.231506/

Clarktar

WKR
To the OP original question: I've had some home-dehydrated meals in Zip-locs for years that were perfectly edible and without a plastic taste once cooked. I will toss them in the freezer (in general Zip-loc without an O2 absorber) if I plan to save them that long. I've left similarly packages out for an entire season (September-December) without issue. I can only imagine the uptick in salt + extra preservation in a commercial product vs mine to last even longer.
This mirrors my experience and approach, although I do not add the Absorbers. I have a few meals that are going on 4 years and still no issue when eaten (had on this fall).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MGFARM

FNG
I've split breakfast into two portions and pack one in a zip lock with no problem lasted up to 6 months. I also have used the thumbtack method and the used a vacuum sealer hose attachment to suck the air out. I then took a hot glue gun to seal the puncture. Those have lasted as long a 3 years and haven't had a problem with taste. Doing this is more about space then weight.