How important is your camoflauge pattern?

rhendrix

WKR
Just like the title says, how important is it that I wear camo when spot and stalking mule deer in ID or SD with a stick and string? Trying to make a decision on putting some stuff on my Cabela's card or wait and buy some backpacking gear later in the year when I have the cash.

So what say you?

blb078

WKR
The main thing you have to remember with camo that most people forget is that you shouldn't buy camo that makes you look like something eg: a tree or bush, but you want to have a pattern that breaks up your outline. Most if not all camo patterns, whether it be realtree, mossyoak, kryptek, sitka, etc are just made to fill the manufactures pockets(I'm not referring to the quality of the gear, that's different, just the pattern itself). There's a lot of camo patterns out there that when you stand 20-40-60 yards away you just look like a dark spot anyway and don't blend in very well. You can go out and have great success with a bow wearing bright hot pink cloths as long as you keep the wind in your favour and your movements minimal/very slow. You master those two things alone and it wont matter what camo pattern you have. With that being said if you already have some decent camo cloths stick with them and get the backpacking gear, also cloths go on sale a lot more than gear anyway.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the Kryptek Highlander for the first time this year in all typed of terrain from heavily wooded pine forest to hardwoods to the open prairie and have been very happy with its performance. I would give it a better performance over the Mossy Oak patterns I have been using for the last 20 years. Love the Kryptek patterns. Check out the technology behind it!

No matter what pattern it is......it will give you an edge over weraring blue jeans and a yellow shirt!

I by my clothes based on function, and price. As long as its "camo" I don't care, and personally get a kick out of some of the guys I see out there with matching pants, shirt, hat, gloves...etc especially when its more of an off-brand or not quality gear. My layering system has everything from Mothwing, ASAT, VIAS, and some Open country type camo... I actually prefer having mismatched camo top and bottom. To MY eyes it helps to break up the whole "blob" effect at distance, whether animals see it the same way or not I haven't a clue!

Mike