How far away do you camp from Shiras moose?

I’ve got a hunt coming up for a Shiras in Colorado. I’ve found plenty of animals and think I’m pretty well prepared from a strategic standpoint. However, I’m unsure how far away to camp from the areas that hold animals. There’s a dispersed camping area about .5 mile from one of my spots and 1 mile from the other. This spot sees use by campers on weekends and holidays during the summer. The animals seem pretty relaxed thus far, tolerating my vehicle from 100 yards away in the evening, etc. but the archery elk guys have been out for a while now.

Do those with experience hunting Colorado moose have anything to say about selecting camping locations relative to moose you’re trying to kill?

Thanks for the input.

I don't have any moose hunting experience, but do have experience with moose near hunting camps in Colorado. Last year on an elk hunt we had a young bull moose living near our backpacking camp site. We saw him all 5 days and at one point he came 30 yds from the tipi. We bumped into another elk hunter who said there was a cow and calf moose hanging out by his camp as well. This is in a heavy-recreation use unit, so I assume those moose see a lot of people.

If I was trying to kill a big mature bull moose, I'd probably give him 1/2 mile from camp, but they don't seem to care. There's been plenty of times I have been hiking and ran into a moose 20-30 yards off the trail. They seem to just stand there and slowly meander off after seeing you.

OP
A
Thanks for the feedback. That’s what my observations have been in this unit and others. It’s nice to hear you’ve seen and experienced the same.

MThuntr

WKR
I had a bull wander right into camp one night while here in MT. The next year in Southern ID, we had a young bull walk right up to a tent. I think if they're generally used to people in the area, I'd pick the camp that is the most comfortable acknowledging once rut hits things may change.

20221003_071322.jpg

Last edited:

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take the camping area that’s half a mile from one of your possible hunting spots. That way, at least it’s you enjoying a quiet camp next to your hunting spot, instead of some others folks.

Those types of spots along forest roads are generally well used. The moose are probably quite accustomed to people camping there.

I’ve had bull moose come grunting into my late September camps in both Wyoming and Colorado. I thought I made a great video of the camp bull in Wyoming a couple years ago, until I realized I didn’t. Damn it!

OP
A
I went out and camped in that spot about a half mile to mile from my most promising moose habitat starting last Friday night. Monday morning I found success! Shiras moose in Colorado are not skittish in the least. .50 Cal muzzleloader pushing a 300 gr. Thor bullet at 2100 fps hit her at 30 yards. Complete pass through and she dropped 100 yards away. Couldn’t be happier!