How does SITKA gear fit? Or others?

I’m 6’ 250lb and wear an XXL for length and comfort. I could fit into an XL but the length (because of my gut) would be short if I sat. I however don’t overhang my belt (tmi). I’m trying to find a top layer to buy (first purchase). I’ll be Turkey hunting with a bow and my area sees high 30’s low 40’s in the mornings and eventually the high will be in the low 50’s. I don’t want to wear a jacket because of the sleeve bulk but I’d like something warm. I was looking at a midweight Sitka base layer and the traverse cold weather hoody. I’m open to other options as this setup is about $300. I’ll mostly be sitting on the ground or possibly in a blind. No stand. Very little spot & stalk. I like how the Sitka hoodie integrates a mask and a hood.

I’m 6-1 and 230 and I wear an XL. I’d think you comfortably need an XXL. I wear an XXL in a couple things on their site marked “performance fit.”

traverse cold weather hoody is a nice one. I really like the apex hoody as well.

Traverse hoody will be way warmer. I’d want more than the apex hoody even intermittently moving if we’re talking 40 degrees. The apex hoody is great in a lot of ways but it’s not overly warm by itself. Given you want warmth I’d grab the Traverse cold weather hoody.

Traverse hoody will be way warmer. I’d want more than the apex hoody even intermittently moving if we’re talking 40 degrees. The apex hoody is great in a lot of ways but it’s not overly warm by itself. Given you want warmth I’d grab the Traverse cold weather hoody.
Just the hoody, no base layer?

Base layers depend on budget to me, definitely don’t have to be sitka. I go First lite wick tee, apex hoody to start my layering setup like 90% of the time. For the temp you’re talking, I think something like midweight merino base bottoms, Sitka apex pants, then on top first lite wick tee, apex hoody, traverse cold weather hoody would be a great start.

I’ll look into that. I’m looking for the least bulk. I wish they listed temperature in the descriptions. I won’t go it lower than 35 in the morning. If the traverse hoody is geared more towards 20s it may be too hot for me. I tend to do things overkill lol. But I’d like a hoodie to be my outer layer, not a jacket. I’m complicated,I know.

@Desk Jockey , i saw you made comments on another thread about the traverse hoodie. Do you have anything to add? The mornings right now are high 50's, days still high 60's low 70's. But when it gets down to the low to mid 40's, that's when i'll want more.

@Desk Jockey , i saw you made comments on another thread about the traverse hoodie. Do you have anything to add? The mornings right now are high 50's, days still high 60's low 70's. But when it gets down to the low to mid 40's, that's when i'll want more.
Sure. I am about your size. I favor the xxl fit in Sitka but can get away with xl tall in some things.

i have an love a traverse hoody. I actually bought one in black for street wear. It is like a soft shell kind of outer fabric with a Berber lining (the traverse zip t is something entirely different FWIW). I think it breathes very well. Much better than a soft shell like my jetstream. The face is a good windblock, durable and it will handle some brush but I sweat like a hog when I move in heavier layers So I don’t wear it on the move much in mild temps. For sort of stationary hunting (I do a mix of stands and mobile ambush mostly) I would say 30s would be pushing it for my comfort unless I really layered it up. I could see it being useful in really cold temps / sub freezing as an outer layer if I were moving. I wear mine form 40-60s in relative comfort And will grab it over a soft shell unless there is a good chance of rain, as long as I am close to the house or truck...

…which leads me to a downside, it isn’t light and it is bulky. I am away from home but I’d guess my xxl is 2# and 1/2 again As bulky as a soft shell at least. For those reason alone, as much as i like it, it rarely makes the cut on backpack or long miles trips. I can get more function from a shell plus a puffy for the same weight and bulk IMO.

i had an sold the apex hoody mentioned above. Nice piece of kit. Kind of a mid weight shirt with a cool pocket thingy. I couldn’t find a lot of use for it so it was catch and release for me.

last point, if you want early morning warmth w low bulk and without cutting of the circulation in your arms, check out a vest. i use a kelvin lite or a +20 year old north face nutpes vest under my outer layer regularly.

Last edited:
I'm 5'10" 210lbs. I wear a 36 30 in normal jeans. All sitka tops I wear in a large, however their jackets I'm an XL. I like Kuiu's pants because they are baggier. I've never worn sitka pants before.

I'm 5'10" 210lbs. I wear a 36 30 in normal jeans. All sitka tops I wear in a large, however their jackets I'm an XL. I like Kuiu's pants because they are baggier. I've never worn sitka pants before.
I also wear a 36 or 38 depending on pant/shorts, same length. I'm not looking into pants for now, once it gets colder probably. I've got 40ish pounds on you, so if you wear XL, i'll probably need XXL as desk jockey had stated.

Sure. I am about your size. I favor the xxl fit in Sitka but can get away with xl tall in some things.

i have an love a traverse hoody. I actually bought one in black for street wear. It is like a soft shell kind of outer fabric with a Berber lining (the traverse zip t is something entirely different FWIW). I think it breathes very well. Much better than a soft shell like my jetstream. The face is a good windblock, durable and it will handle some brush but I sweat like a hog when I move in heavier layers So I don’t wear it on the move much in mild temps. For sort of stationary hunting (I do a mix of stands and mobile ambush mostly) I would say 30s would be pushing it for my comfort unless I really layered it up. I could see it being useful in really cold temps / sub freezing as an outer layer if I were moving. I wear mine form 40-60s in relative comfort And will grab it over a soft shell unless there is a good chance of rain, as long as I am close to the house or truck...

…which leads me to a downside, it isn’t light and it is bulky. I am away from home but I’d guess my xxl is 2# and 1/2 again As bulky as a soft shell at least. For those reason alone, as much as i like it, it rarely makes the cut on backpack or long miles trips. I can get more function from a shell plus a puffy for the same weight and bulk IMO.

i had an sold the apex hoody mentioned above. Nice piece of kit. Kind of a mid weight shirt with a cool pocket thingy. I couldn’t find a lot of use for it so it was catch and release for me.

last point, if you want early morning warmth w low bulk and without cutting of the circulation in your arms, check out a vest. i use a kelvin lite or a +20 year old north face nutpes vest under my outer layer regularly.
@Desk Jockey thank you for that! I have zero experience with any hunting clothes. I tend to get cold easily/chills. Part of it is foot sweat, but even when they're not, i get cold if stagnant. My hands keep relatively warm but my top, not so much. I don't tend to layer and i hate having to take things off and fold them neatly into a pack so i don't feel like i have a turtle on my back. I don't mind spending $300 or so if it's going to last me and keep me warm. I won't be hunting in a stand and on super windy days may pass on a hunt altogether, it gets ridiculous in there. It's about a 10 minute walk to my first spot and another 5 to the second, so i'm not walking very long. I'm new to the layering thing but i do know that i don't like bulky sleeves and i am somewhat of a minimalist and pack light. I tend to favor hoodies for the pocket/hood and i like the sitka ones with the built in face mask. If they're not going to give me what i need, i'll pass on them, but the mask is a big sell for me (for concealment, not the vid). I don't like tight fitting tops since i'm not exactly in the shape i was in 10 years ago.... I don't mind wearing a tighter base layer and putting a hoodie over that though, as long as it's able to move with me. 35-45 degrees is my main concern for the first 4 or so hours of the morning.

Last edited:
@Desk Jockey thank you for that! I have zero experience with any hunting clothes. I tend to get cold easily/chills. Part of it is foot sweat, but even when they're not, i get cold if stagnant. My hands keep relatively warm but my top, not so much. I don't tend to layer and i hate having to take things off and fold them neatly into a pack so i don't feel like i have a turtle on my back. I don't mind spending $300 or so if it's going to last me and keep me warm. I won't be hunting in a stand and on super windy days may pass on a hunt altogether, it gets ridiculous in there. It's about a 10 minute walk to my first spot and another 5 to the second, so i'm not walking very long. I'm new to the layering thing but i do know that i don't like bulky sleeves and i am somewhat of a minimalist and pack light. I tend to favor hoodies for the pocket/hood and i like the sitka ones with the built in face mask. If they're not going to give me what i need, i'll pass on them, but the mask is a big sell for me (for concealment, not the vid). I don't like tight fitting tops since i'm not exactly in the shape i was in 10 years ago.... I don't mind wearing a tighter base layer and putting a hoodie over that though, as long as it's able to move with me. 35-45 degrees is my main concern for the first 4 or so hours of the morning.

sure.

if I know I am going to be stationary and it will be cold (20-40*) i will break out my solitude (first lite) bib and coat. For the kind of deer hunting I do more (mobile ambush = walk and sit, walk and sit, rinse repeat) I love the traverse hoody from 40-60*. The mask is there and it certainly works, although I personally don’t use mine a ton. I would go so far as to say it is my favorite mid season top. Your mileage may vary, but I think you will like it. Lastly, I am not sure if it is an option but my local Dicks sporting good stocked the traverse hoodie along with a lot of other Sitka. Cabelas usually has them too. Might be a chance to try it on before you decide.

Ok, so I have a 45” chest and 34” sleeve. Their chart says I fall into an XL. If I were to buy the core midweight zip t and the traverse cold weather hoody, do I get xl or 2x with my gut? I don’t want to be wearing a tarp but I don’t want to have it tight.

Sitka tops and bottoms usually run longer than other companies, which i appreciate. The exception is the cold weather hoodie. It is cut a bit shorter and also is baggy in the stomach area. Short and wide. Its the weirdest fitting piece in their collection IMO. Unfortunate because it and the gradient (waterfowl version) are some of my favorite pieces, and they just dont fit me well. Im 6’5” 225 lbs and wear an XL or XLT in everything from sitka except the jetstream jacket which is 2x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a base and hoodie that is as warm or warmer in combo from Sitka with the built in mask then? You’re not the first to say the traverse fits odd. I like The idea of it because of the fleece. But I’d rather do a base and hoodie and be as warm or warmer than just the traverse. I don’t want it tight tight as I’m larger but I hate swimming in my clothes. The website makes it look like you need to be in gym shape for them to fit properly. I wear a 2x in nine line hoodies but they shrink up.

I’m 6’ 250lb and wear an XXL for length and comfort. I could fit into an XL but the length (because of my gut) would be short if I sat. I however don’t overhang my belt (tmi). I’m trying to find a top layer to buy (first purchase). I’ll be Turkey hunting with a bow and my area sees high 30’s low 40’s in the mornings and eventually the high will be in the low 50’s. I don’t want to wear a jacket because of the sleeve bulk but I’d like something warm. I was looking at a midweight Sitka base layer and the traverse cold weather hoody. I’m open to other options as this setup is about $300. I’ll mostly be sitting on the ground or possibly in a blind. No stand. Very little spot & stalk. I like how the Sitka hoodie integrates a mask and a hood.
I wouldn’t waste your money on Sitka for that kind of hunt. King’s Camo would fit the bill and half the cost.

Back