How does an East Coaster maximize scouting opportunity?

clarkbnd

FNG
I got lucky and drew an early season Mule deer rifle tag. It's in an area that I've never been but I do have experience in backcountry elk hunting in other areas. I've spent countless hours studying maps and I have a list of 10 access points with varying length hikes to areas I'd like to scout for mule deer. I've gotten very familiar with the area by studying maps on several different apps but don't have any experience with game obviously. I've talked my wife into an "Anniversary Trip" out west so I'll get to spend about 5 days scouting in early august, I mean what more could a wife ask for than spending some nights on a mountain in a tent w/ me? haha. We'll see if we are still celebrating anniversaries next year.
The area I'll be hunting is known for high traffic during hunting season. My biggest fear is that everyone else has done the same research as me and I won't be able to get away from the crowd. There won't be many other rifle hunters but there will be archery mule deer and elk hunters the same time. I've tried to look for areas where I think mule deer are then work back to road access. Most of the areas I want to scout (and are accessible to me) are around 3-5 miles from trailheads. There is no way that I'll be able to scout all these locations in a week but I've prioritized my list and will do as much as I can.
Because I've not having had the opportunity to do this before I wanted to see if anybody had any other advise as to how I should maximize scouting? We could cover more area by just riding and glassing but that's not what I'll be doing come September but it may give me a better idea of just general mule deer population in different areas? Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks,

pic of my son last year during elk 1st rifle
20231016_125828.jpg

You've done everything you can at this point, now it's time to actually walk the hills and see how your research jibes with reality. The scouting trip in August is a great idea. Also, if it were me, I'd arrive a few days before the season begins, to double-check things.

Drive around and take pictures of terrain that you think looks like good deer country (Even if it is right off the road) then mark these spots on your map. When you get home, having actual photos of terrain that you can compare to what it looks like on the map is important to me. Some spots will look awesome on a map but you might realize its not what you thought after you spend all morning hiking into the area.

Drive around and take pictures of terrain that you think looks like good deer country (Even if it is right off the road) then mark these spots on your map. When you get home, having actual photos of terrain that you can compare to what it looks like on the map is important to me.

Better yet, take all relevant maps with you in August, so you can compare terrain/vegetation with map images, in real-time.

Rich M

WKR
You're already tied into the August trip. Should be a great trip with the wife. See if you can figure out what areas are the worst access, that's where the big boys will be.

Also - don't get so caught up in the scouting that you forget your wife - she seems like a keeper and a day or two of pampering is not too much.

As a travel hunter who does not get time to scout in the summer. I would show up like 4 days before the season opens and start the hunt early by finding the bucks and being in place on opening morning. Grind until you fill your tag.

I think you’re doing it right. Go back to google earth after you’ve scouted and have a better idea of what country was actually productive.

If you can find a particular buck to hunt great, hopefully he is still alive for the rifle hunt as you will probably not be the only one scouting.

I would try to get there a day or two early for your hunt to take an inventory and make sure you’re still on the right track for opening day.

OP
clarkbnd

clarkbnd

FNG
You're already tied into the August trip. Should be a great trip with the wife. See if you can figure out what areas are the worst access, that's where the big boys will be.

Also - don't get so caught up in the scouting that you forget your wife - she seems like a keeper and a day or two of pampering is not too much.

As a travel hunter who does not get time to scout in the summer. I would show up like 4 days before the season opens and start the hunt early by finding the bucks and being in place on opening morning. Grind until you fill your tag.
Yes, definitely a keeper. I've been training her for over 20yrs. We will spend some time in town also. I did promise her a few nights in a hotel with running water. I think she is excited for the trip also, we both get excited going out west.

I do plan on getting there in September at least 3 days in advance... just kind of depends on what we find during scouting. It's interesting that you mention worst access. There is an area that I have been interested in but everything I've read is that the road going in is very rough. It is a motor vehicle road so I could bring atv but I was trying to avoid that aggravation. Good point you make... others will feel the same. So that may not be an area I scout in Aug but maybe 1st place I hit in Sept if I decide to bring atv.

Thanks for all the advice so far from everyone. I'm excited to be in the mountains again!

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
As an easterner this is my method for maximizing my scouting.
1. get a tag and do some research on the unit , E-scout my butt off.
2. Hunt those areas I escouted and be very mindful of the information I find out. ( example: I escout a drainage that I think holds deer, I go there and I dont find deer. WHY? and if I do find deer make note of what features are nearby what they are doing and how they are interacting with the landscape so I can repeat it. )
3. build up this portfolio over the course of a few seasons in multiple biomes, this will allow you to effectively e scout an area without stepping foot in it, as us easterners dont often get that opportunity especially if you hold 3-5 tags a year such as myself, plus whitetail hunting in my home state.

doing this has been very effective for me in filling tags consistently, have a plan A-F laid out so that if you have to you can relocate. Hunt hard and be cognizant of whats going on and take notes to reflect on in the future.

Don't leave the glassing knob before dark...
Get in the best shape you possibly can to chase 'em wherever you see 'em.