How do you pay for your gear?

tdhanses

WKR
My kid started playing hockey a few years ago. Crazy how much it costs compared to sports I played growing up. Glad he isn't a goalie. It would be even worse.

My day job easily covers whatever I decide to buy. I do try to buy at a discount, and I always use a credit card if possible. It's super easy to save money if you don't need to be trendy with whatever flavor of Kool-Aid is in style that week.
Yeah my son of course decided he is full in on goalie 🤦‍♂️ Sideline swaps helps a ton, lol, I like that they don’t release funds to the seller until the buyer receives the goods and they check out.

Now I get to add a car for my daughter in the next year, lol.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
My wife and I just buy what we want when we need it. Going on a hunt and need a new pair of gloves....go buy it. We have most stuff dialed in pretty good where we dont have a bunch of single use/hunt items. Idk...we dont think that deep about it. Work normal jobs, live within our means but in general just know if thebl purchase makes sense. Never made or looked at a budget sheet in my life.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'll say you have to be a savvy shopper, it amazes me that people pay full price for anything (other than Rokstok and a Maven RS1.2 lol)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Retired last yr and along with taking care of items needing replacing on the home, roof, ac etc, setup a separate savings account for hunting gear that will never run out. Like anything else budget and plan.

I seek out the drug dealers in downtown Anchorage, and mug 'em! The trick is, catch 'em by surprise, be quicker on the draw, and don't turn your back on them when you're walking away.:)

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Comes from my fun money saved over time. I also utilized 0% credit cards and pay it off before the promotional period ends.

I’ve slowly upgraded stuff as I go. Last to get upgraded was camo clothing. I’ve enjoyed lighter weight, purpose built camo. Probably my favorite upgrade is a pair of Kowa 6x32 binos for squirrel hunting. Great glass, under $400, nice and compact.

I now find myself sometimes “looking” for an opportunity to spend on stuff that really won’t do anything better than what I currently am running.

Always have to pay yourself first (essentially pay a tax to yourself into retirement) and then it makes spending mostly guilt free.
Do you post on rimfirecentral and have a youtube channel?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Hard part is, over the years I've noticed I tend to dive real deep into one aspect of the outdoors. Then after awhile find a new passion.

End up with alot of gear.

Boat - hasn't seen the water this year.
6x12 goose decoy trailer of full-bodied
Enough traps to run a few lines longer than I could check.
Bows
Rifles
Trap shooting
Upland birds.

Glad I had a great job before having kids. Cause that budget has shrunk...

The cool thing about capitalism and a competitive market place is that we as consumers are rewarded with amazing products. Hunters are no exception as we have more access to quality gear than ever before...the down side is that we have to pay for it. I am curious how everyone has gone about building their kit and what advice would they give to folks just starting out.

I'll start. My advice as a young father with two small kids is to be realistic and play the "want vs. need" game with all gear purchases. As obvious as that may sound, I always catch myself drooling over some new piece of gear that really doesn't fit my hunting style or would replace something that is perfectly functional and already living in my garage. Develop your own hunting style, research gear that fits your needs and try to buy stuff that is either used, on sale, or a few model years old.

...So are you a hardcore budgeter still wearing dad's old mossy oak bibs? Independently wealthy? Rolling the dice and racking up the CC debt? Side hustling to pay for the toys? Or some combination of the above?
Loaded up on gear years ago. Now just need a piece of two each season