how do you load pack for training purposes?

mattfish

FNG
I just got my DT3 and was wondering how to load it for training purposes. I tried a sleeping bag and a 25 pound weight but the weight fell to the bottom and sort of just rolled around. I am brand new to back country hunting and my first hunt will take place next year. I have some gear to gather yet but really want to start training with pack now. just not sure how to load it. I saw Aarons video on how to load a pack but not sure what everyone uses to fill the pack for training.

ssliger

WKR
I use the big bags of rice found at grocery stores. Do you have dogs? You can use 30-40lb bags of fog food.

MattB

WKR
I copied an idea I found here, using 4" PVC to make an "8" shaped frame which is filled with sand. It has structure, so it won't sink. I suppose you could fill it with something heavier than sand (lead shot) to get the weight up.

Ozz08

WKR
In the past I have used a 50lb bag of rice I got from Costco for 20 bucks or so. The bag of rice still left plenty of room in my timberline pack to add items for more weight so it worked well for me.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I put a blanket in the bottom of my T1 with the built-in divider above it. In the main pack body I put a contractor garbage bag with 2 bags of charcoal. When I want more weight I will squeeze steel weights between the charcoal bags. By using the compression straps the weight(s) won't shift down or move around.

Ray

WKR
I used 550 cord to hang the weight plates from the top of the pack. Tying them off will depend on your pack design. They are held in place by a couple of sleeping bags.

If you are going to be doing lots of down hills you may want to look into a water system and empty it before heading downhill. That's what a lot of us old guys do.

What I did with my dt3 bag was mount the " grab it " inside the bag so you can suspend weight since the dt3 doesn't have a divider. Then use straps on the outside of the bag to cinch the load snug. Personally I don't feel the need to train with loads any heavier then that of your full kit. Training with excessive amounts of weight just increases your chance of injury.

Stid2677

WKR
I cinch the lower compression straps all the way down to prevent the load from slipping into the bottom of the bag. I prefer "softer" loads as they don't stress the pack like steel plates can, pick what ever you have . I use water softener salt, but dog food etc..

I really prefer to pack what I would carry as this will carry different than a bag of anything and I also wear my hunting clothes to work out any unseen issues. I feel that training with excessive weight is not good for body or gear. I prefer to train with about a 1/3 of my max.

To each their own,, just how I roll.

Heavy packs to all this fall.

Steve

I got roll top dry bags from cabelas and fill them with sand that way it simulates bonded out meat and I can add more for heavier days or take them out for light days. Also being "soft" you can use the compression straps on the bag to hold the in place.

G Posik

WKR
I put an old blanket in the bottom. Then fill contractors bags with sand. I try to get 3 bags with 25# in each bag. I position them in the pack in the middle area then top off the pack with some old towels. In the beginning I just use 2 of the weight bags and get use to that weight first. Then as time goes on add the third bag. Since my pack weight for 12 days is about 53-55# after training with the 75# I feel good going into the mountains.

Glenn

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I load mine up with what I actually take, minus the sleeping bag and food. For the bag and food I just add the appropriate weight with dumb-bells. Using the real stuff gives you the feel you will get during the season. Also it gets you proficient at packing and unpacking your bag.

7mag.

WKR
I usually use my normal camp gear, minus sleeping bag and food. I replace the sleeping bag with a heavy Filson wool coat that weighs about the same. To replace the food weight, I use some extra clothes. I even pack my tripod and spotter while training.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried a lot of methods and have settled on using small sand bags that weigh about 5 -10lbs. I put them into a hanging meat bag and hang the meat bag from the loops inside the pack. This is how I intend to carry meat as well. I can easily increase the weight by 5-10 lbs at a time. When I get to around 60lbs I replace the small sand bags with one large bag and then reuse the small bags to add more weight.

I buy sand in 60lb bags from Home Depot for around $4. I make the small bags by putting sand into gallon zip lock bags and then placing the zip lock bag into a small garbage bag. So far I have had no leaks.

I prefer to train with weight that simulates actually hunting. Since I would most likely carry boned meat using a hanging meat bag the sand is a good simulation.

I also add other gear that I would normally have in my day pack.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I use two bags of dog food which puts my pack at 80 lbs and put weight plates on top if I want more weight.

If I'm training on steep hills, I will use water sometimes so I can empty it at the top to save my knees on the way down.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I use an old sleeping bag in the bottom of my T2 , then place a bag of concrete double wrapped in contractor bags. Cinch down the compression straps. Find a long hill and start heading uphill.

Buster

WKR
I use two bags of dog food which puts my pack at 80 lbs and put weight plates on top if I want more weight.

If I'm training on steep hills, I will use water sometimes so I can empty it at the top to save my knees on the way down.

X2 on the water. Fill a bunch of smaller bottles completely full (i hate the sound of sloshing water), or bladders. I know too many older guys that wish they were nicer to their knees.

Stid2677

WKR
X2 on the water. Fill a bunch of smaller bottles completely full (i hate the sound of sloshing water), or bladders. I know too many older guys that wish they were nicer to their knees.

+1 I resemble that remark. :)

boom

WKR
bag of beans from Costco. worked okay. i kinda "hurt" the cheap plastic bag and had to dump all the beans into a food grade storage bucket. (earthquake prepardness will be a fart fest!)

now, i found a bunch of those thin strip weights highway workers used to weigh down traffic construction signs. they are pretty damn heavy for their compact size.