How do you deal with static?

Fuenstock

FNG
Hello,
I’m new to reloading and today attempted to add powder to my first made rounds.
I had a horrible time with static.
So much that it was clogging the nozzle of my powder thrower and giving very inconsistent powder drops.
Powder was just sticking to everything and causing a big mess getting everywhere.
How are you all dealing with static?

BBob

WKR
Gets some powdered graphite and burnish the inside of the measure and drop tube with it. Use a rag, paper towel, q-tip whatever to rub it in. Coat the reservoir (inside and out) and exterior of the measure with a spray on electrical anti static spray. Try to leave a film of the spray on, don’t rub it completely off. It needs to dry as a thin film to work. Spray your funnel with anti static too.
IMG_0817.jpeg

Last edited:

cjcavinaw

FNG
I coat my powder dispensers in a product called static guard. Spray it on a rag and wipe it over every piece of the dispenser and repeat once you start to notice a little static again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I use a dryer sheet, and haven’t had an issue if that doesn’t work for you, my company has used anti static tinsel on some of our conveyors that cause static issues and it works. I assume you could use something like that around the edge of your work table.it’s pretty cheap

OP
Fuenstock

Fuenstock

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions!
I’m going to try the dryer sheets because that’s easy to get and if that doesn’t work I’ll try some anti static spray or use both if I need to.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I stuff everything plastic with used dryer sheets when not in use (powder tubes, funnels etc) . A fresh sheet will leave a residue.

Evergreen

WKR
What Peaches said! It probably doesn’t hurt anything but I don’t like the residue so I use a used sheet and it works fine.

OP
Fuenstock

Fuenstock

FNG
Thanks all for the advice.
Between dryer sheets and anti static spray my problems with static have been solved!

Vern400

WKR
Reckon I learned something here. I've usually done my reloading in late winter when it's cold and nasty out. Ga. Good to know these tricks in case I load when humidity is lower if that ever happens :) The only problem I recall is having trouble emptying powder from a powder measure. Got a fix now. Thanks

Rock-o

WKR
Dryer sheet is what I use as many others have mentioned. Also as noted, sprays. What else? A humidifier.

I know you experienced your issue along the chain of equipment and the following suggestion is small, but I use metal funnels.