How do you carry your bow on your ATV?

KBC

WKR
I used to have a sweet 4x4 that I could get down some nasty roads in and hike from there, now I have a glorified grocery getter half ton so I take the ATV in and hike from there. My pack gets strapped to the front rack and I have one of those neoprene bow covers with a shoulder strap but I’ve had to start taking the stab off since I broke one when it hit the seat going over a bump. My bow is always shifting around and I find I have to stand most of the time so it won’t bounce around so much.

Any bow slings that hold it more secure and a bit higher on your back? Once I park the bow is always in my hand and the sling stays at the ATV so I don’t need anything too fancy

KHNC

WKR
Kolpin gun mount to front rack works great for a compound bow as well. Used one for years before i started mt biking into spots to hunt. Dont use the ATV nowadays much.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I put a set of gun holders on the front rack of my old 4-wheeler. I turned them in such a way that they held the limbs of of bow perfectly. I haven’t bought a set for my new 4-wheeler, yet. I’ll definitely need to get some before I make my next trip out West bowhunting elk.

However, the angle of the limbs on my new bow may make that difficult to accomplish. 🤷‍♂️

11boo

WKR
If you want to keep it clean, hard case. About a 6’ piece of rope, tied to two points on the back of the front rack. Case on rack, rope over case, thru handle.
Winch hook to rope, tighten gently.

Tdawg21

FNG
I always hated the bow racks I saw for sale for ATV’s. I found the best thing for me was to take a BIG, soft, bulky coat and lay it on my rack and run 2 bungee straps across it to strap it to the rack. It gave it a lot of cushioning so the bow was never vibrating or bouncing on any hard surface. It always worked great for me.

-Dawg

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for comments. I did try the gun holders on the front but my old bow got launched off when I hit some rough stuff. I didn’t like how much it bounced anyways I think what I’m looking for is a sling with two shoulder straps like a backpack.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thanks for comments. I did try the gun holders on the front but my old bow got launched off when I hit some rough stuff. I didn’t like how much it bounced anyways I think what I’m looking for is a sling with two shoulder straps like a backpack.

Good luck with your search. Report back if you find something you like. I’m gonna try the gun rack thing again cause mine was very secure and didn’t allow my bow to move at all.

I would caution you on using the kolpin gun holders if you are on rough terrain. I used these last year just driving my ATV to a trailhead 2-3 times (30 minute ride each way) and the constant rattling eventually rattled some screws loose on my bow. I first noticed my rest was a tad loose and it turned out it had moved just enough to be out of tune. Now I use a cheap bow case that I strap to the front. I think if you found holders that had a dampening system or a way to take out the vibration of the machine you would be fine.

Slugz

WKR
We have tried them all, and had issues with all.

The only thing that worked 100% of the tie was a hard case strapped down. I run a 2007 Polaris and strap the bow case down first with my pack on top. It blocks the light so I mounted a LED bar lower down by the winch/front end.

nphunter

WKR
Don't have a quad but on my motorcycle, I just strap it to my pack and put the pack on, I've never had an issue. When I use to have a side-by-side I would just use a hard bow case and ratchet strap it in the back.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I put a set of gun holders on the front rack of my old 4-wheeler. I turned them in such a way that they held the limbs of of bow perfectly. I haven’t bought a set for my new 4-wheeler, yet. I’ll definitely need to get some before I make my next trip out West bowhunting elk.

However, the angle of the limbs on my new bow may make that difficult to accomplish. 🤷‍♂️
I do this as well and has multiple years. Works better for me than strapping it on my pack as I have a soft box on the back of the ATV for necessities and bow would hit that while riding. This system has worked well for me here in SW MT. Others have mentioned possibility of screws coming loose but I have not experienced anything like this in the 5 or 6 years I've carried it this way. YMMV