How bad does this look?

awpk03s

FNG
I put new strings on my V3 27 this spring.
Got it timed, tuned, fired a couple dozen arrows.

Got it out today and noticed this. The rubber damper section on top of the bow/string is too close to the cam. The rubber is tearing off and the brass bushing underneath has chewed the cam.

The bottom portion has the necessary clearance and is matching what the Zebra string looked like.

Obviously the string is no good and needs replaced, right? But what do I do about this cam? Cosmetic only? Or is it a derail waiting to happen even with a proper new string?

Help me diagnose…. Pics show it tight and loose (pressed).

I contacted the string manufacturer today. I’m not sharing the name because mistakes happen and I want to give the C/S a chance. But, I’m just not sure what to think about the damage…

3BDC3D6A-237C-4F29-A8A6-71A45666E1A9.pngEC485786-51B5-4D1A-8B0D-DA749006620E.png

OP
A

awpk03s

FNG
And I realize (now) I should have noticed the clearance difference when I put the string on. Mistake on my part…

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Ouch. I think you’re going to need a new cam. With the amount of oscillation in the string at that point, even the slightest burr or imperfection will likely cause serving damage.

JD Jones

WKR
I’d pull them off the string and inspect. That cam also looks like it’s gouged. If it is that’s a ticking time bomb. Might be able to clean the channel up but might need a new cam

OP
A

awpk03s

FNG
Ugghhhhhhh……. Brand new to me bow.
So many curse words running through my brain.

Anybody know if Mathews will even sell a new cam to me (or any individual) or do I have to go to a dealer/bow shop? (ain’t too many good ones around me).

JD Jones

WKR
Ugghhhhhhh……. Brand new to me bow.
So many curse words running through my brain.

Anybody know if Mathews will even sell a new cam to me (or any individual) or do I have to go to a dealer/bow shop? (ain’t too many good ones around me).
Dealer only if buying new

Looks like the string maker placed the speed nock too close to the cam. It's hard to say for sure from a photo, but I bet that cam would be okay to continue shooting after a bit of light sanding/polishing of the damaged area. Maybe the string maker will offer to cover the cost of a replacement cam. New cam would have to be sourced through a Mathews dealer, and I doubt Mathews would cover it under warranty since the damage was caused by an aftermarket string.

I think you could clean that cam to be usable. I wouldn't be happy about it.

See if you can slide the speed nocks. It's possible they were in the correct spot, simply not as tight as they should have been, tho I would have expected them to go the other direction.

I'd wait for a response from whomever did the string.

I'd bet string is fine, just needs the nocks moved and can put new shrink wrap on them.

Elkhntr08

WKR
First, check the ATA measurement, did the string need to be twisted.
Second, I don’t know that the string is ruined. Looks like the shrink tubing is chewed up, but not the string.
Third, file and sand the groove down. I’ve hunted with a whole lot worse. Dressed a Hoyt cam with a chainsaw file to finish a bear hunt. Shot my bear the next day after dragging the bow down the road behind my quad.
Everything is not world shattering.

OP
A

awpk03s

FNG
Thanks for the comments guys.

I looked back at a photo I took of the bow after installing the string and the speed nock was up against the cam then too. I did try to move it yesterday and slide it down the string and it wasn’t convinced enough to budge.

String maker replied right away, was puzzled by what happened but will have a new replacement string in my hands by week’s end.

I will inspect the cam in greater detail when I take it down again and see if I can gently sand/polish out the groove, or not, and go from there…

Good to hear you have a new string coming, but I’d definitely change out that can too.
There’s no telling how much those gouges comprised the integrity of the cam. Chances are if, and when it fails, your face will be dangerously close.

If the string manufacturer made a mistake that contributed to this problem, perhaps you might talk to him about helping out with the parts cost in good faith.

hiker270

WKR
I have filed and sanded cams that looked similar to yours and have had no issues.

JD Jones

WKR
I’d replace too this early in the season. I’d keep the gouged cam as a back up but no since I’m “making do” when you have this much runway till archery season. And if you plan on chasing game before the new cam comes… shoot it while ya wait. Wouldn’t let it be a permanent fix though YMMV

OR Archer

WKR
The spot on the cam where it’s damaged will not hurt the tune of the bow. It’ll be an eyesore that’s it. Sand it and polish it. Check it with a cotton ball after to help detect any rough or sharp spots. You can even clean the area up with a black paint pen to hide it. I’ve cleaned up a lot worse cam damage than that with no ill effects.

nphunter

WKR
The spot on the cam where it’s damaged will not hurt the tune of the bow. It’ll be an eyesore that’s it. Sand it and polish it. Check it with a cotton ball after to help detect any rough or sharp spots. You can even clean the area up with a black paint pen to hide it. I’ve cleaned up a lot worse cam damage than that with no ill effects.
This!
No reason to replace that cam, yes it sucks that the speed nocks were in the wrong spot but you’re also the one who installed them being incorrect and didn’t notice them rubbing.
If it were me I would peel off the heat shrink, take a small flat screwdriver and loosen up the brass nocks. Slide them down to the correct spot according to your originals, pinch them with pliers and heat shrink them. Now you have a brand new extra string for your troubles.

MattB

WKR
Have you measured the ATA and BH in the bow and compared that to the factory specs?

Agree with the guys who say just clean up the cam, no reason to replace it.

Flash

FNG
The cam seems fine if you remove the burrs so that it doesn’t Nick the next string. It’s out of the string channel and shouldn’t be an issue. The string needs to be replaced, you know that.

WoodBow

WKR
Whoever built the string should build you a new one at no cost, because it is their fault. String looks fine if you can manage to move those speed buttons down. If you have a press you can even put a new piece of heat shrink over them. I would not hesitate to shoot that cam personally. I would even lightly hammer back any deformation and polish off any burr. But i'm comfortable working on pretty much anything. Realistically whoever built the string owes you a cam as well.