Hot tent stove install question

Im new, please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly.

Im installing a 45* silicone stove jack in a canvas bell tent and using a pomoly T-brick ultra titanium stove. Chimney is one 9' piece titanium foil and attaches to the stove using titaniums rings and the top is stablized by 3 cables

Question
Should the silicone hole be cut JUST big enough to slide the chimney through snuggly or should there be some space between the silicone and pipe.

Ive been told by stove and jack manufacturers that it should be snug HOWEVER i am afraid that if its snug and the tent experiences wind or gusts, it may lift the chimney right off the stove!!

Could they be right?
In my way of thinking, if I cut the hole 1/4-1/2" larger, this will allow the tent to lift and fall without the chimney coming off and filling the tent with smoke or knocking the stove over as the stoves are quite light.

I saw a lonewolf 902 video where he leaves lots of room around the chimney and encourages not sealing the space.

This will be our first time using the tent with stove,

Thanks for your assistance

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what kind of stove jack you're installing, but mine always have a gap. A little rain can come in, but it doesn't bother me too much. I do know that the tent canvas can really move a lot when the wind is blowing, and I would be concerned about it tearing the chimney apart.

OP
A
I don't know what kind of stove jack you're installing, but mine always have a gap. A little rain can come in, but it doesn't bother me too much. I do know that the tent canvas can really move a lot when the wind is blowing, and I would be concerned about it tearing the chimney apart.
Im installing the 45 degree stove jack from canvas camp. Im concerned about the snug fit of the stove jack silicone lifting the chimney the 1.5" it would take to separate the chimney from the stove. The chimney, 9ft one piece of titanium is held on to the stove only with rings that slide down and bind on the stove damper stub...the stove is light too. When i inquired with eithet pomoly or canvas camp they said snug. Im not feeling comfortable with that recommendation....maybe for reasons i haven't thought of.

11boo

WKR
Yeah this is how mine worked. Very similar situation, I wanted to use my seek stove and had to put in a new jack.

Yes, it Is a rodeo when the chimney pops out and you are rocking a fire.

310481D2-16C9-4CDC-BAC5-6E6954B88C8C.jpeg

That 9’ pipe did pop out of the stove one windy night. Pretty sporty cause the stove was cranking.

87EE5F6C-3F00-44D8-942E-F95ED7E343FD.jpeg
Always keep gloves next to the stove. I ended up using some wire to hold the pipe tight to the jack, it worked but have a better way next time. A couple guy wires from a couple feet above the tent, down to stakes.

OP
A
Yeah this is how mine worked. Very similar situation, I wanted to use my seek stove and had to put in a new jack.

Yes, it Is a rodeo when the chimney pops out and you are rocking a fire.

View attachment 466354

That 9’ pipe did pop out of the stove one windy night. Pretty sporty cause the stove was cranking.

View attachment 466356
Always keep gloves next to the stove. I ended up using some wire to hold the pipe tight to the jack, it worked but have a better way next time. A couple guy wires from a couple feet above the tent, down to stakes.
Oh wow, the heat in that chimney is insane! Thanks for the info. Definelty will stake the chimney down! We get a lot of gusty wind in my parts....gonna have to keep an eye on it as i should be doing in the first place.

OP
A
For what its worth, the stove jack on a seek outside tipi has basically a bunch of slits cut outward from the center (like a pizza).. I assume thats so it can accept different sized pipes, different angles, allow a little play if the tent moves, but still seals in the majority of the air.

Good picture in this article: https://www.rokslide.com/seek-outside-stove-jack-upgrade/
Very Informative article! I like the pizza pattern of the stove jack and the Ti stove you have!! My 2 person pup tent may never be used again either. My wife loves camping off grid in the 2 person tent but not if there is a chance she'll seen any other humans..hard to get spruced up and dressed in such cramped quarters . I surprised her year with a bell tent and like your girls, they have lots of room to dress, and enjoy NOT being in the rain or driving snow and stay cozy warm. We are decking ours our with a wash stand, queen bed and sofa. 😆 hopefully i stake the Ti chimney securely enough. Safe travels!!