Hitting Too High

kdsulliv

FNG
Hi all, I'm having trouble hitting too high. I'm shooting a CVA Accura PNW with a 209 primer conversion - I just liked it with the fiber optic "Iron" sights. So I'm shooting 100gn of Blackhorn 209 under a 290gn Barnes spit-fire TMZ. I have the back sight backed all the way down but I seem to hit above the target at 100 yards despite only being a 2-3 inches high at 50 yards. I'm shooting off a bench at the range, very locked down on the rifle. Would going to a 250gn bullet help anything? Am I missing something in my setup or load? Am I just a bad shot? Any suggestions would be helpful.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is your front sight adjustable? Is there a manual or markings indicating poi change per turn?

Legend

WKR
Hi all, I'm having trouble hitting too high. I'm shooting a CVA Accura PNW with a 209 primer conversion - I just liked it with the fiber optic "Iron" sights. So I'm shooting 100gn of Blackhorn 209 under a 290gn Barnes spit-fire TMZ. I have the back sight backed all the way down but I seem to hit above the target at 100 yards despite only being a 2-3 inches high at 50 yards. I'm shooting off a bench at the range, very locked down on the rifle. Would going to a 250gn bullet help anything? Am I missing something in my setup or load? Am I just a bad shot? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Are you saying the bullet is still rising after 50yds? That seems unlikely.

WKR
If I was having those issues, I'd either bump up bullet weight or I'd drop powder to 65 grains and work up. Good luck to you.

Antares

WKR
Is it a Williams sight? Some CVAs were sold with Williams sights that weren’t the correct height. If you contact Williams, they probably have a lower profile rear sight you can put on.

Shim up the front, reduce the powder or increase the bullet weight. Or …..call Williams for a lower rear.