Hiking Machu Pichu

Acharenio

FNG
Hello all,

i'm planning on hiking the Inca Trail up to Machu Pichu in peru next year, looking for a company that does that, i already have a couple of companies but don't know them if anybody that did it i will love to hear their input and also reccomend a company.

thank you so much.

My dad just did this a couple months ago, he said it was a trip of a lifetime. He was already traveling around South America and heard someone mention it. I can ask for me details next time I talk to him.

Beendare

WKR
We are setup with an Outward bound co in December. I will look for the company name. My wife set it up.

Not OB, its Backroads

Last edited:
Skip the Inca trail and do Salkantay. You'll learn what 15K ft feels like. I used Llama Path. They provide lots of food but also strongly encourage tipping their local hired porters and cooks. Their guides are highly knowledgeable of the ruins and flora/fauna. I think I went in August. This was almost 10 years ago.

Salkantay ended at Macchu Picchu and we still had a day there, which was nice

Book in the plaza de armas when you get to Cucsco for about 1/4 -1/8 the price of booking from the US. When I did the 4 day package there were about a dozen of us who booked through many different companies who all hiked in one group but the further away they booked the more expensive it was. I paid $140 and I think some paid close to a grand for the same trip.

Same applied for hostels, buses, and trains. I booked flights 30 minutes before departure for $50-$60. If you wait till they close the doors of the bus they might let you on for half what the price was 10 minutes earlier. Just keep in mind that “economy class” is the luggage hold and your fellow passengers don’t bathe-ever.

My favorite Peru hike was a DIY 3-day trip from a village called olleros on the panamericana across the cordillera Blanca to chavin de huantar. No maps, no trail signs, no gps just kept asking the locals which way at each fork in the trail. Buy fresh bread anywhere for pennies. If you want a football sized avocado just tell a street urchin and they’ll walk all night to find you one for a dollar.

Also, they’ll offer locally made chicha for sale along the trail out of “recycled” solo cups. I made the mistake of asking to see how it was made after downing a cup. The kid selling it took me back into the village where a group of old ladies were using their few remaining teeth to chew up corn and spitting it into a big vat to ferment…

AKDoc

WKR
We were there in January, pre-Covid year. Good on you guys who did the steep hikes from the last train stop! We did the old folks cheat and took a bus to the top, but it was still absolutely spectacular. Crowds weren't too terrible in January (see below), but it's a highly visited major world attraction for good reasons.

DSC_0086.JPG

Just being in the central Andes mountains was worth experiencing (so was the Patagonia region). Very glad we traveled there and stayed a few days/nights in Cusco. Living at sea level, we were also very glad we spoke with our primary care doc's before the trip and brought altitude sickness medication with us that we chose to take preventatively.

Edit: Just for clarity...that image is from a short hike looking at the "back side" of the site. The entrance is on the other side and out of sight, and there were many more people on that side.

Last edited:

17Hunter

FNG
My wife and I just did the 4-day Salkantay Trek in April. We used Salkantay Trekking out of Cusco. Top notch all the way around. Would highly recommend them. The trek ends at Machu Pichu and you get about a half-day there and in Aguas Caliente.

OP
Acharenio

Acharenio

FNG
My wife and I just did the 4-day Salkantay Trek in April. We used Salkantay Trekking out of Cusco. Top notch all the way around. Would highly recommend them. The trek ends at Machu Pichu and you get about a half-day there and in Aguas Caliente.
did they book the hotels and other stuff for you or just the trek and tickets to get in Machu Pichu?

17Hunter

FNG
They booked everything, hotels, restaurant at Aguas Caliente. Food on the trek was outstanding, although by the 4th day I was sick of potatoes and quinoa.

As someone else mentioned, the Salkantay Trek takes you up over the Salkantay Pass at 15,200 feet, which is much different and harder than the traditional Inca Trail hike.

Salkantay Trekking does an Inca Trail package too, just not as familiar with that.

17Hunter

FNG
Another recommendation; whoever you go with, get to Machu Pichu 1st thing in the morning. It gets crazy busy with people.

Another recommendation; whoever you go with, get to Machu Pichu 1st thing in the morning. It gets crazy busy with people.

This

Also pay for the ticket to go up to Huayna Picchu. Its the building complex that looks down on Macchu Picchu. Amazing up there.. unless you hate heights.

me and 4 people from my hiking group cleaned out 2 places on all their Cusquena when we got to Aguas Calientes

Wingnutty

FNG
My brother lives in Cusco, he’s getting married next year so we’re going. Interested in this thread..

OP
Acharenio

Acharenio

FNG
They booked everything, hotels, restaurant at Aguas Caliente. Food on the trek was outstanding, although by the 4th day I was sick of potatoes and quinoa.

As someone else mentioned, the Salkantay Trek takes you up over the Salkantay Pass at 15,200 feet, which is much different and harder than the traditional Inca Trail hike.

Salkantay Trekking does an Inca Trail package too, just not as familiar with that.
Thank you so much, i will get in touch with them.

Yoder

WKR
There were some pretty good deals on Travelzoo for visiting Machu Picchu. I was really considering going this year, but then I read about some kind of armed conflict in Peru right now. It was also a little more than I wanted to spend this year. Did anyone else see that?

def90

WKR
Have friends that did the Inca Trail and others that dirt biked to machu pichu. They did this over 10 years ago so Im sure their info is out of date. They both have said it was one of the best trips they've done.

Loper

WKR
Living at sea level, we were also very glad we spoke with our primary care doc's before the trip and brought altitude sickness medication with us that we chose to take preventatively.

No need to get medicine before leaving. If you get altitude sickness just buy some coca leaves from a street vendor (completely legal) and chew one them or steep them in hot water for matte de coca. It’s amazing how well it works. I got an almost instant headache when landing in Cusco, but once I had some coca leaves it went away.

This

Also pay for the ticket to go up to Huayna Picchu. Its the building complex that looks down on Macchu Picchu. Amazing up there.. unless you hate heights.

I second this. It’s very steep and if I recall there are some sketchy spots getting up there, but the view is incredible.

I also agree with starting to hike early in the morning on you last day to see the sunrise right before you get to Machu Pichu. You’ll beat the crowds and have some beautiful scenery.