hiking /hunting boot

Hello everyone I been shedding hunting pretty hard this year and I busted up my boots is there any suggestions on a good pair of hiking / hunting boots.

OP
Deer hunter
I have a buddy that’s an outfitter and he used kenetrek But they wouldn’t last a hunting season.

OP
Deer hunter
Honyock. I been look at those and I was curious how does the seem hold upon the sole and the boot meet. I always have the problem with them separating.

Block

WKR
I have a buddy that’s an outfitter and he used kenetrek But they wouldn’t last a hunting season.

it all depends how many miles you put on them... for sum1 that’s out hiking/scouting all year,,, there’s probably NO boot than can last a full year..

Any European backpacking brand. Decide on the features you want (leather vs synthetic, stiffness, height) look at all of the brands, and find the one you want on sale online.

OP
Deer hunter
Thanks razzledazzle I been looking at a lot of boots it’s a tough one. I go through boots every year and I think it’s time just to spend a little bit more money and get a good pair and start taking my advice I tell every ( BUY ONCE CRY ONCE)

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, if you go the kenne route I'd reccomend getting them early. They need many miles before they start to feel like gloves. My scarpas kinesis however, I did 15 right out of the box in elk camp last year. The insoles flattened out quick and needed fresh ones pretty soon though. Other than that, no complaints on either boot.

OP
Deer hunter
Break in period shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve already but I’m about 60-70 mile in shed hunting this year thank you for the info

Jimss

WKR
I use and abuse my boots year-round working outside each day here in Colo. The fewer seams you can find on boots the longer they will last. This is true especially around the toe and bottom areas of the boot. I've found that all leather boots with no seams out=last synthetic boots....especially synthetics with seams. Once the seams go you also loose waterproofing.

Crispis, Lowas, and Scarpas have worked well for me. Everyone's feet are a little different and it may take trial and error. I've shied away from Scarpas because they are narrow. Crispi's and Lowas come in different widths which is nice.

I also buy boots around 1 size larger. That way I can gut the insoles that come with them and add larger volume padded insoles. I can also cinch the laces down when wearing lighter socks. When I wear more padded or warmer socks I relax the laces.

Mosby

WKR
I have an older pair of Asolo hiking boots that I have hunted in. Got them pretty cheap from STP. They have been extremely comfortable and I would buy them again. I use them now for training hikes.
I replaced them with a pair of Lowa Tibet's. I have weak ankles and have found that I need a relatively stiff leather boot out west or I run the risk of having ankle problems.

Welcome.

Where do you hunt and hike and typically in what season?

For combo hunting and hiking boots I like Crispi. The Thor’s are my current favorite. A good mid weight hiker with a stiff sole. I run a pair of Crispi Idaho’s for more support and I switch to kenetrek mountain extremes when temps drop. I have had good experiences with Asolo and older Merrells, though my last pairs died early deaths.

I have another thread running with a long term review on the Danner Thorofare boots. My cousin is running them up in Alaska and I am running mine in SoCal/Arizona desert and mountains. So far we really like the Danners Thorofares. For a lighter boot, the Danner Crag Rat is also really nice and will likely be another purchase for me pretty soon.

An added plus is that the boots are made in America.

The Kenetreks, Crispis, Lowas, Scarpas and Schnees are now essentially made in China. A few years ago, China made a deal with Italy for the “belt and road” initiative. China moved over 100,000 of it’s citizens in to Italy and purchased up most of the boot and shoe making companies. The bulk of components are now made in China and they run the product through Italy so they can have the “Made in Italy” label on the boot.

Last edited:

Vinootz

Banned
You get what you pay for. Get a quality boot with a vibram bottom. Danner , Chippewa and better. I use leather uppers too. If your hiking on a lot of sharp edged rocks your boots will inevitably get chewed up. There are some folks that rather go through a couple of pair of cheaply priced boots. It depends who you are. I opt for better quality boots. I use Chippewa,Danner,Vasque,Filson and other similar quality. There are even better than that. You got to choose.