Hiking Distance

jmez

WKR
Post 35 is spot on.

It is not difficult to put on 10 miles in a day. No way I'd shoot an elk 10 miles from a road without a packer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I wouldn't be stuck on how far I'm getting from the road to choose my spot. Look for places that looks like no one would want to go to. That's where you will find elk in pressured areas.

I only went in 2 miles. Hunted within a mile of my camp. I saw 7 hunters on the trail, 2 off trail. I saw ZERO boot prints where I hunted because it sucked to get there.

11boo

WKR
We got into elk about every other day this year in Colorado, most spots were less than a mile from the road. The spots we didn’t see elk were the ones that were 2-4 miles in. I learned a lot this year .

chops24

WKR
This is my buddy 2 miles from the truck in relatively flat terrain in NM. You sound like you are in better shape than him and hopefully have a pack frame. believe me, 6 miles in Colorado with an elk on the back would SUCK.

some great advice given here. My solo elk packs have been anywhere from 1-3 miles and i couldnt imagine doing 6.