High Country Weather-CO

Anyone know what the weathers like in the high country? Hunting 4th season cow in unit 6 this year...I know it's been dry and abnormally warm. Anyone know if there's snow up at 10-11k or any reports of the elk still being up that high. I have my spots and looks like I may be using my archery season spots instead with no snow pushing the elk down into the winter range.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
This is Aspen right now.
7e04f7a8cd64f36e11aed1a04ef759e2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Almost no snow, we got a little down south in the state this past weekend, up north hasnt seen much..good luck

The pics from State Forest Park dont like there is any snow up there

thejones

WKR
We had rain on Saturday, and a little snow up high. It has been hitting 50 degrees during the day at 10,000 feet. I was up around 11,500 this afternoon, and the springs are still flowing.
I hope we get some weather soon.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard hardly any snow to 12,000 ft in central high country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it was possible to get a 3rd or 4th season bull tag after already having an archery bull tag, I would have been all over it this year.

I hope the weather hits. I've got a 4th season tag and am hoping for some snow. My area is forecast to get some snow (not sure how much yet). I do know it will at least be cold, which will be a nice change.

topher89

WKR
Hot and dry. To put it in context, I got a deer last year on November 12th. It was in the 30's and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground from the previous week. I got a deer this year on November 11th. It was 60 degrees and I was down to a t-shirt. I could see where I shot last year's buck from where I shot this year's buck.

The area I hunt has some resident deer and elk but is really more of transition zone to wintering grounds. We typically hunt deer and elk 3rd, 4th and late because as the temperature drops, there are way more animals in the year. Overall, it was tough hunting this year. I filled my tag with a small forky to fill my freezer. The big guys are there but don't have a reason to get out there yet

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
The warmest temps and most open high country that I can ever remember this late. Outside of dark timber, everything to the tip top is nada for snow. Elk highly dispersed and poor hunting across everyone I'm talking to.

3rd Season was way too warm. The area we hunted had a max elevation that was too low for the temps. Very disappointing.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Supposed to be cold and snowy for at least the next two days. Looks like 4th season is the tag to have this year in CO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Supposed to be cold and snowy for at least the next two days. Looks like 4th season is the tag to have this year in CO.

I'd have a bigger problem with that giant moon this week than the temps and weather. I don't mind hot and dry, but from my experience that moon will keep them hidden in the timber until dark, and before light.

We just finished our 4th rifle elk hunt in Unit 13. In 4 days, we did not encounter a single elk. Very disappointing. Everyone we talked to in the area, including locals, also were not encountering any elk. The big herd up north has not moved down at all.

It's raining down in SW Colorado right now, and snowing at the higher elevations. Hopefully this weather lasts for awhile.

topher89

WKR
I have a late season cow tag this year. Hoping all the weather this week will get things moving. This is my 4th year elk hunting and am hoping this is the year!

OP
S
Well...the snow sure did help. We walked over 35 miles during 4th season and encountered a decent herd in unit 6 and tracked them for about 2 miles. We could have all tagged out, just with the way they were in the tree's at 200 yards, running, grouped up...no ethical shot every really presented itself and didn't feel like shooting on and possibly injuring one or two more. Saw a few nice bulls and a couple nice bucks up high as well. Can't wait for next year.