High Country Solo Mule Deer and Pack Goats

nphunter

WKR
Curious to hear feedback from guys who have went solo with pack goats for mule deer. I’m headed to the Rubys next weekend with my 3 goats.
I’m excited to have them and feel like I’ll be able to find bigger bucks since I’ll be able to be more mobile and cover way more ground that I would be able to with everything on my back.
I’m mostly wondering about stalking with goats? How many guys stalk with the goats, I know deer aren’t typically spooked by them so maybe they could work to my advantage. It will be a learning experience for sure, if I feel like the deer are getting spooked I’ll just get close and then put the goats on a line for the final stalk.
I would love to hear people’s experiences with goats for sure, I know it would be easier with a hunting partner but that’s not an option.

6C8E1223-20EC-40BE-BB3C-4D028CD5C526.jpeg

sf jakey

WKR
I can’t say for the goats but I just got back from a trip up there on horseback for a few days and maybe saw 5 deer total. No sign whatsoever. Good luck

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never tried to stalk mule deer with my goats. I would rather control as many variables as possible.

My goats, at least the ones I take deer hunting, are pretty comfortable if I leave them tied at camp. I like to camp close to my glassing spots so that normally works out. I try to either sneak out of camp so they don’t even know I left or I will also use a “Back! Stay!” command (even though they are picketed). Over time it’s actually helped them know that they aren’t supposed to follow.

Other times I will take them part way on a stalk, but tie up them before the final approach. Normally this is on the back side of the ridge the deer is on. This works but can be more difficult as I normally don’t have my picket stakes with me (Orange Screws).

c66e73c91561bc254eb3a38ce05832fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I did forget about one “stalk” last year. I did work in on a few bucks with the goats. Per usual, the goats beat me to the overlook. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, they love going to the edge of each vantage to get a look at what’s below. Those bucks were not spooked by them, and I could have got a shot but they were not bucks I was planning to take.

Still, I would have a hard time taking this approach on target buck. A lot of times, it doesn’t take much noise or movement above a bucks bed to send them running. It’s my opinion they get out of there first and ask questions later (the stop and look back at 200 yards).

5ad43298e8b2d5632d8d6405eb723284.jpg

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR

Thanks, I’ll probably just play it by ear. It’s huge country and the biggest reason I’m taking goats is to stay mobile. Don’t plan on having a camp, it will be loaded up on the goats each morning. I’ll take my long line or just stake/screw them out a few hundred yards out. I think they will be worth taking for the Ruby hunt since it’s such big country.

I’m going to be hunting deer in the trout creeks later with my recurve and will be leaving the goats at home. It’s more of a road hunt with a couple overnight spike camps in some of the bigger canyons.

Bachto

WKR
I am willing to bet that a mature buck won't hang around much to find out what's going on with a couple goats within archery range. I did kill a buck with my rifle with my goats. It did work in my advantage as he saw the goats and was staring at them while i got set up. Again we were almost 300 yards away. I am not sure that would work at 50 yards but I could be wrong. I have had deer stare at them during summer hikes and be super curious.

I don't like the idea of leaving goats by themselves and recommend you don't do that. I know people like Battle that do and have no issues. We just don't need one getting loose and giving more ammo for the people that are trying to ban pack goats.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I am willing to bet that a mature buck won't hang around much to find out what's going on with a couple goats within archery range. I did kill a buck with my rifle with my goats. It did work in my advantage as he saw the goats and was staring at them while i got set up. Again we were almost 300 yards away. I am not sure that would work at 50 yards but I could be wrong. I have had deer stare at them during summer hikes and be super curious.

I don't like the idea of leaving goats by themselves and recommend you don't do that. I know people like Battle that do and have no issues. We just don't need one getting loose and giving more ammo for the people that are trying to ban pack goats.

If they get left on a line it won't be for long and I won't go far, they are big babies and will be crying like crazy if I leave them. I can't imagine them getting lost even if one got loose it would never leave the others, they will also be carrying my camp and all my gear on their backs so I'm up shit creek without them. If I can't make it happen after a few days because of the goats I'll just pull the plug and go back in a couple weeks without them. Hopefully I can make it happen with the goats though, I really want them to work out solo hunting.

Bachto

WKR
If they get left on a line it won't be for long and I won't go far, they are big babies and will be crying like crazy if I leave them. I can't imagine them getting lost even if one got loose it would never leave the others, they will also be carrying my camp and all my gear on their backs so I'm up shit creek without them. If I can't make it happen after a few days because of the goats I'll just pull the plug and go back in a couple weeks without them. Hopefully I can make it happen with the goats though, I really want them to work out solo hunting.
I have done that before too, just a hundred yards or so while I was elk hunting. I more meant if you were going to be gone all day. Your scenario makes sense and is what would probably work best. Though I can only imagine the kind of predator attention of bunch of crying goats gets :ROFLMAO:

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I have done that before too, just a hundred yards or so while I was elk hunting. I more meant if you were going to be gone all day. Your scenario makes sense and is what would probably work best. Though I can only imagine the kind of predator attention of bunch of crying goats gets :ROFLMAO:

I’ll be taking them in the Eagle Caps for a week is Sept. too but will have a couple other people which will make stalking much easier. Honestly elk hunting I feel like calling they might actually be an asset. I make a lot of noise raking, rolling rocks and stuff, the goats already sound like elk waking around in the woods.

The area I’m going in the rubies is all open with little to no timber patches. It appears to be pretty broken though. Hopefully it works out, I’m hopeful that I can make it happen. They run sheep up there so they should be use to weird critters running around.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider

There is that, and we all carry that responsibility. Although, I feel like me having them picketed at camp for a few hours in the middle of the day is relatively safe, when predators are not all that active. Much better chance that they break free in the night when I have little chance to recover them (has not happened to me either). If everyone just accepts the guidelines, how do you ever know if they are valid? I should be able to use my best judgement based on my experience and situations. And accept the consequences if I do mess something up. If something happens, I’ll adjust.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I’ll probably just play it by ear. It’s huge country and the biggest reason I’m taking goats is to stay mobile. Don’t plan on having a camp, it will be loaded up on the goats each morning. I’ll take my long line or just stake/screw them out a few hundred yards out. I think they will be worth taking for the Ruby hunt since it’s such big country.

Have you ran that program before? I get it somewhat for elk but not so much for deer. Even if I move camp every day, I’m not packing it up in the dark. In the morning, I always hit 1-3 nearby vantages in prime time before picking up camp. Then, if I want to move camp you have the entire middle of the day and can try picking up something along the way if that’s what you have in mind. I’m also not a fan of picking up camp at night when everything is wet with condensation. The days are long and the nights are short in the early season, I’d hate to be late to my glassing point because I’m packing up camp.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Have you ran that program before? I get it somewhat for elk but not so much for deer. Even if I move camp every day, I’m not packing it up in the dark. In the morning, I always hit 1-3 nearby vantages in prime time before picking up camp. Then, if I want to move camp you have the entire middle of the day and can try picking up something along the way if that’s what you have in mind. I’m also not a fan of picking up camp at night when everything is wet with condensation. The days are long and the nights are short in the early season, I’d hate to be late to my glassing point because I’m packing up camp.

Those are good points. I will be about 1/3 down off the top glassing drainages on either side of me. The top is cliffed out and not traversable where I’m starting. I’ll be able to see about 2.5 miles in either direction so I hope I’ll be heading toward deer in the AM once I decide which ones to go after. I’m getting up there in the early evening so hopefully with an evening and morning I’ll have something picked out or at least a good idea which way to go.

After that I’ll keep my elevation and start hitting drainages to the north or south and do the same thing each morning and night. That’s the plan, have a couple plans each day and make slow methodical stalks during the days, glassing during good times from camp. It’s just me and three goats so I won’t need much space to sleep. Bio said there are lots of deer in the area and lots of water too.

If it’s slow seeing bucks I’ll just cover ground slow and try to pick something up bedded mid day.

This is my first hunt with the goats and first time in the Ruby Mtns so it will be a learning experience for sure.

Bachto

WKR
I’ll be taking them in the Eagle Caps for a week is Sept. too but will have a couple other people which will make stalking much easier. Honestly elk hunting I feel like calling they might actually be an asset. I make a lot of noise raking, rolling rocks and stuff, the goats already sound like elk waking around in the woods.

The area I’m going in the rubies is all open with little to no timber patches. It appears to be pretty broken though. Hopefully it works out, I’m hopeful that I can make it happen. They run sheep up there so they should be use to weird critters running around.
I don't live far the the eagle caps and have always wanted to take my goats in there.

Should be a good time regardless.