Hi I'm trying to get ready for my high altitude backcountry elk hunt

KHNC

WKR
I will have to agree on it probably being too late if you are talking about getting in shape. Hopefully you have been training over the summer on hills an don't live at sea level. Hydrate or die is the best mantra.

IdahoElk

WKR
Tell us about where/when you're hunting and what you are taking with you,we will be able to help you more.

well if you can come out a few days early and try to acclimate yourself that would be ideal..drink lots of water, dont go out the gate charging the first day or two..you'll regret it. And i've heard Motrin and ibuprofen at night can help, but dont quote me on that, ive never had to use it myself.

Start off really slow and stay well rested and hydrated for the first few days. Listen to your body and don't try to be a super hero your first few days out.

xziang

WKR
As others have said first day can suck. I was out a month ago and the following day till about 4-5pm I was nauseous. After that I was perfectly fine, I did start popping some Ibuprofen each day for the remainder of days I was there. Unsure if it helped but was just for prevention.

pooh05

FNG
It is never to late to start, unless you leave in the morning. And doing a lill bit of something is better than a hold lot of nothing.. Drink a minimum of one gallon of water a day, is a start.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few more specifics would help.

Hydrate yes, overhydrate NO. It washes the electrolytes out of your system, and leaves you worse off.

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
Depends when season is. You have plenty of time to get in shape if you're rifle in a 2nd or 3rd season

ST52v

WKR
Listen to les , I believe he just did a Ironman in Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hydrate yes, overhydrate NO. It washes the electrolytes out of your system, and leaves you worse off.

That depends on where their baseline is. Most people don't drink anywhere near enough water in an average day. So it's all relative to what their baseline is for hydrating and overhydrating. Supplement electrolytes and it shouldn't be a problem. I drink at least a gallon a day leading up to when I head up, and then probably 1.5+ gallons every day while I'm up there. I feel great at 11k feet......better than I do down here at 6000'.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
That depends on where their baseline is. Most people don't drink anywhere near enough water in an average day. So it's all relative to what their baseline is for hydrating and overhydrating. Supplement electrolytes and it shouldn't be a problem. I drink at least a gallon a day leading up to when I head up, and then probably 1.5+ gallons every day while I'm up there. I feel great at 11k feet......better than I do down here at 6000'.

Actually makes no difference where the baseline is. Not everyone drinks the same amounts of water, more importantly not everyone NEEDS the same amount of water, that is the key. Essentially we are saying the same thing, I'm just stating that over hydration is way worse than proper hydration. It causes Hyponatremia, which can be just as deadly as dehydration. They also exhibit many of the same symptoms as altitude sickness.

Basically I'm saying make sure you are hydrated, but there is no reason to act like a fish. Drink what you need, don't over do it.