HHA Tetra RYZ vs Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL

Ragnüs

FNG
I'm wanting to get a single pin sight with the 2 dots for not having to adjust on the fly. Ill typically be using it for hunting in Colorado, hitting the range and TAC events. I have the HHA Optimizer lite now and I haven't had any real issues other than not being able to have the second "pin". Have any of yall used these sights? or have a preference? I know either way I cant go wrong so just wanted to get some feedback.

Also what are your thoughts on Dovetail vs Fixed? I've always used fixed but I'm intrigued by the finer tuning I can get with the Dovetail and peep sight lining up better. I'm mainly worried about the Dovetail coming loose and moving while hunting. Has anyone experienced any downsides to using a Dovetail? I feel like making use your equipment is inspected before heading out in the field would be an easy solution to that potential issue, or even carrying a small set of Allen keys.

as always thanks for the help!

I have used both dovetail and fixed sight bars. As long as you wax or locktite your dovetail, I wouldn't be too concerned. I always bring allen keys as well.

I have used the Fast Eddie XL in the two pin .10. Spot Hogg makes bomb proof stuff. The pins are well protected. It's a good sight if you want to pin single post two pin design. The MRT technology is cool to adjust the sight housing to your peep. I didn't like that you couldn't adjust the pins individually. So depending on your speed, your second pin may be at a strange gap because it can't be set to a yardage you choose. I set my top pin to 30 and then that second pin ended up at like 43 or 44. It can be a little heavy though. The only sight I have found that will let you adjust both vertical pins is a Black Gold dual track, but I haven't tried it.

It's a small thing, but I didn't like the yardage tape was on the outside of the sight. It meant more movement to adjust the sight yardage. HHA has the same thing. It's small and just personal preference thing.

The main thing that caused me to change is the second pin was more difficult to see (at least for me) because it was built into the post. So you lose the round pin shape that defines the fiber optic housing and you rely totally on the brightness of the fiber light to locate the pin. It's essentially just a hole in a vertical rod where the fiber is threaded. Maybe others don't have this problem, but in low light settings and against certain backdrops I couldn't see it and it just looked like the post. In these situations I could see the top pin because the circular shape differentiated it from the post. I tried a UV3 XL two pin hunter and had the same problem.

So for me I either had to go to a single 1 pin, or change to a horizontal traditional pin set up. I went back to a 3 pin horizontal slider for that reason and I need more than one pin for my hunting style. With horizontal pins, even if it's low light, or blurry, the end of the pin is defined and allows me to reference it because each pin is independently set.

I also tried a Fast Eddie XL Triple stack, vertical 3 pin design, with independent adjustment of all 3 pins. It is amazing because you set all the pins to the yardage you want. It's heavy! It weighed over 16oz. It is seriously worth a look though. I didn't have the blurry pin problem with this sight versus the two pin model as each pin is individually set as well.

I haven't used an HHA so I can't speak to that. Long reply I know, but wanted you to have info!

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Thanks for the feedback! definitely appreciate the details of your preferences.

For sure will be going with the Dovetail option. seems to be noticeably more accurate and the slight adjustments to getting the peep aligned with the pins seem to be the way to go.

I really adapted to the yardage adjustment on the outside, granted I never had used a single pin adjustable sight before until I got the HHA Optimizer ultra. I was looking at the Black gold sights but the vertical yardage adjustment on the inside seemed odd to me, however I have read a ton of reviews of folks really liking that sight. I think the HHA is just what I'm used to at this point. I was also checking out the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3 triple stack but its out of my price range, plus I don't think I would benefit much from the 3rd pin, at that point I would probably switch to your setup with the horizontal 3 pin adjustable sight.

To your point of not having enough light in the pins on the HHA, one of the benefits I found with (newer) HHA sights was the adjustable rheostat to allow more light. its pretty bright with it fully open. But I've never had issues of seeing the pins. Plus the one I'm looking at is the .19 size in both pins, ideally id get it custom from HHA with .019 on top and .010 on the bottom but I'm using a gift card that's burning a hole in my wallet.

Thanks again for the help, happy shooting!

I ended up with a black gold custom 3 pin. Bottom pins .10, top .19 similar to what you are thinking. I may add a 4th pin as well. HHA is quality for sure! Enjoy your new purchase!