Hestra Glove Users?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m always looking for a better glove system. I’ve tried just about all the hunting brands and haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. I’m looking for a cold weather glassing glove, not mitten, that still allows some dexterity for working tripod/swapping glass/etc. Wind blocking is key. Hestra seems to be pretty big in the winter sports/mountaineering world, anyone using them? What models? Wakayama feels good, just not sure it’ll be warm enough.

Right now I’m using a combo of liners, Kuiu attack gloves and down over mitts. Also just got the Kuiu Kenia gloves, haven’t tried them yet.

yfarm

WKR
This company tans and manufactures clothing out of your hides. They also sell stock items. If you are hunting in the cold and snow these are as good as it gets for dexterity. You can buy other 3 finger mitts that are bulkier but none that have this level of dexterity and price made in the US out of native deerskin. Would suggest the thinsulate rather than pile lining. I wear a size nine glove and use the large mittens. Sent an elk skin to them last year, got 5 pr of elk gloves out of the hide. From a cost standpoint it is cheaper to buy their stock rather than pay to tan with shipping costs and manufacturing costs but there is a sentimental issue to hunt with your sons and have something made from that experience that lasts for decades.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
Hestra is nothing special. I stopped using their $160 ski gloves and just use kinco and a hand warmer for resort days. As for a glassing glove, have you seen the kuiu Northstar glove? I used the glommit on a wet/cold MT opener over the weekend and was very happy with their warmth, wind, weather resistance.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Hestra is nothing special. I stopped using their $160 ski gloves and just use kinco and a hand warmer for resort days. As for a glassing glove, have you seen the kuiu Northstar glove? I used the glommit on a wet/cold MT opener over the weekend and was very happy with their warmth, wind, weather resistance.
I was aware of the Northstar glommit, didn’t know they made it in a glove, might have to check that out.
Thanks for the input, wasn’t sure if a company who only makes gloves might have a leg up on hunting companies.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m always looking for a better glove system. I’ve tried just about all the hunting brands and haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. I’m looking for a cold weather glassing glove, not mitten, that still allows some dexterity for working tripod/swapping glass/etc. Wind blocking is key. Hestra seems to be pretty big in the winter sports/mountaineering world, anyone using them? What models? Wakayama feels good, just not sure it’ll be warm enough.

Right now I’m using a combo of liners, Kuiu attack gloves and down over mitts. Also just got the Kuiu Kenia gloves, haven’t tried them yet.

I’ve used various Hestra gloves for years. Mainly the Deerskin Wool Tricot and Wakayama. Right off the bat- static in very cold weather nothing works but oversized mittens and thin liners.

Getting leather conditioner applied right now-
BBD00B6A-1D1C-486A-B9EF-CD71DF93ABB7.jpeg

The reason I, and most I’m around use them is due to the leather, quality, and especially fit- only a couple use their synthetic gloves and that ain’t my jam.

The Deerskin Wool Tricots are the best cool to cold weather active shooting glove I’ve used. It has a merino interior and very good deerskin exterior with merino on the back of the hand (perfect for wiping your nose), the fit and feel is excellent for a warmer glove and is not hard to shoot well in. I do go through a pair of them each year as I use them a lot (120’ish days a year).

The Wakayamas have been very good for active use in cold weather and deeper snow when a mitten isn’t needed or able to be used. Fit and feel is very good for an insulated glove, durability has been very good, and when conditioned hasn’t gotten wet inside.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve used various Hestra gloves for years. Mainly the Deerskin Wool Tricot and Wakayama. Right off the bat- static in very cold weather nothing works but oversized mittens and thin liners.

View attachment 468996

The reason I, and most I’m around use them is due to the leather, quality, and especially fit- only a couple use their synthetic gloves and that ain’t my jam.

The Deerskin Wool Tricots are the best cool to cold weather active shooting glove I’ve used. It has a merino interior and very good deerskin exterior with merino on the back of the hand (perfect for wiping your nose), the fit and feel is excellent for a warmer glove and is not hard to shoot well in. I do go through a pair of them each year as I use them a lot (120’ish days a year).

The Wakayamas have been very good for active use in cold weather and deeper snow when a mitten isn’t needed or able to be used. Fit and feel is very good for an insulated glove, durability has been very good, and when conditioned hasn’t gotten wet inside.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I have switched to deerskin leathers, surplus wool green liners. Coat in boot grease or oil, I prefer the grease if it’s getting heated after. Microwave the leather for 5ish seconds or heat next to fireplace like Form above. Then wear the two layers together. I do multiple coats. While hunting in extreme wet but not cold I like being able to wear just the wool layer and be warm but wet anyway. I wear them snowmobiling and everything. Very very cheap so everyone in the family has a set or two. I only wish they had larger/longer cuffs.

yfarm

WKR

View attachment 468996

Give us a review on the Courteney boots

yfarm

WKR
Wear Russells in the desert, thinking about a pair of Selous for daily wear boots I can use in thorny, cactus environment without going to snake boots, may wear with turtleskin gaiters, can they stand up to a bite or prickly pear thorns? Had a pr of Russell ph, all leather lined with turtleskin, was heavy and stiff, sold those.
currently use unlined 6” chippewa vibram soled work boots that meet the requirements but Chippewa quit building those boots. These look pretty close in performance.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Wear Russells in the desert, thinking about a pair of Selous for daily wear boots I can use in thorny, cactus environment without going to snake boots, may wear with turtleskin gaiters, can they stand up to a bite or prickly pear thorns?

Thorns are no issue, not sure about bites.

I use them when thorns and cactus are serious issues and they are great- haven’t gotten a puncture through the sole or leather so far. Best thorny desert shoe I’ve used.

Wakayama are awesome and warm enough most days if I am moving. For snowboarding then Wells Lamont. For bowhunting when its really cold then either the kincos and shooting with just that as the glove or some other thinner glove with an oversized tab. But for gun hunting then the wakayama has great feel.

I have had a pair of Hestra Heli Pro gloves since 2007 and have beaten the crap out of them skiing every season. I had to do some minor repairs on part of the leather from my ski edge from carrying my skis. Beside that they have been tanks. I took them elk hunting this year and they worked really well keeping my hands warm when driving the SxS at 4:00am and glassing in the cold. I am looking at maybe getting the Oden gloves for warmer camping etc.

I second Form’s thoughts on the fit and quality. I really like the ergo active and just picked up some of the wool lined ones to try. Hadn’t seen those tricots though, they look great.

Everywhere I have seen people say the ergo grip actives have the best articulation in any glove out there right now. Have you had any issues with the durability? Some guys are saying the stitching on the fingers are a weak point but its only been a problem for people that beat the hell out of them every day.

Everywhere I have seen people say the ergo grip actives have the best articulation in any glove out there right now. Have you had any issues with the durability? Some guys are saying the stitching on the fingers are a weak point but its only been a problem for people that beat the hell out of them every day.
No issues with durability for me over two years of wearing them hunting, skiing, and mountain biking. Certainly less durable than the wakayamas or the tricots mentioned above though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Merino fingerless underneath a good quality leather glove or mitten that has been properly conditioned is what I do. Hestra makes good quality leather gloves that are durable and perform as needed.

Catchfish

WKR
I buy cheap cheap leather gloves with insulation, grease them up put a wool liner with them. And never need any thing more for my winter use. -9 today and don’t even have liners in and I’m fine but if I sat still I would probably need the liners.

bpurtz

WKR
I use Hestra - I have both the classic 5-finger and the 3-finger mitten - If I ever needed another glove, I'd absolutely buy these again!

1670008066483.png 1670008091881.png