Help with thermal/NV setup

currently have a AGM Taipan 10-256 thermal monocular as my scanner, and then a SightMark Wraith 4K Max as my scope with a Sniper Hog 66LX illuminator. My only gripe on the Wraith is the 3x base magnification, I’d like a lower base mag…

I’m considering selling the Sightmark scope and getting a clip-on NV optic, the day image quality on the Wraith isn’t great. Anybody use and like clip-ons?

Last edited:
There aren't many thermal scanners made for helmets but some of the smaller versions can be used on a helmet with some sort of custom-made attachment. I don't have any feedback to offer on clip ons as I don't know anyone who uses one.

Rob762

FNG
currently have a AGM Taipan 10-256 thermal monocular as my scanner, and then a SightMark Wraith 4K Max as my scope with a Sniper Hog 66LX illuminator. Pretty much as soon as I spot something in the scanner, I switch over to the gun.

I’m considering selling the Sightmark scope and getting a clip-on NV optic so I don’t have to lug the SightMark when I day-hunt. Anybody use and like clip-ons?

My other option is to keep the SightMark scope and get a thermal that can mount to a helmet as my scanner. Give me some feedback on that too
You can run a FLIR breach on a helmet with the same arms you mount a PVS-14, but they require some modifications to gain enough power to be useful at distance. They’re mostly good for scanning within 150m.

I prefer clip on NV for predator hunting. I've had a lot of dogs and cats come in the areas I hunted in VA and it allows me to ID what I'm shooting at and not smoke someones pet. It also allows better use of a weapon mounted LRF which is nice if you're hunting where shots can be further than a couple hundred yards.

What is your budget? A good clip on if going to cost as much as pretty much your entire kit already or more. Simrad KN-253's are a nice budget option but are hard to find now. 203's are easier to find but are huge and heavy, much better for stationary. PVS-30 refurbds are about the least expensive inline clip on but unless you have gorilla arms the focuser is a PITA to reach even with a shorter day optic. M2124LR AKA CNVD-LR is by far my favorite clip on, small, light, excellent focus lever, it does it all. You can find nice green units for $5000-$6000 sometimes whereas white phos will run you $7000+ finding a good deal. PVS-27 is my second favorite and are similarly priced but are larger although they do collect more ambient light which is helpful.

If your budget allows I would look for a deal on a nice used 24LR from a reputable seller. Snipershide is a great place to find them.

You do need to put a clip on in front of a day optic that has good resolution though. Brightness isn't really important but resolution is.

Do clip ons work good. I’ve always been skeptical about getting one opposed to an actual thermal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk