Help with the final decision- tikka t3 superlite

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Been in the market for a lighter rifle for awhile, mainly for elk and deer. I have my 300 win setup for longer range gun but I don't like carrying it(13 pounds). I went to sportsmans tonight and got my hands on the t3 superlight and fell in love. The only issue I have is caliber. I want either a 7mm08 or 308. I don't really want to put a break on it and only shoot factory loads. I'm just stuck on caliber and need a little push. Thank you.

The good ol 30-06 is still a great all around for both critters you listed , not that those two won't do it they will. 06 will just do it a little better and you can buy ammo anywhere if you need too

Are they doing the SL in a 7-08 now? They weren't last time I checked. Of the two I would go with the 7-08 simply because I like .284's and the BC's. Certainly nothing wrong with the 308 though.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked the feel of the 7mm08 and for what I'm doing and keeping range reasonable I think that's what I may pull the trigger on.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I've been eyeing superlites for a long time. They look perfect. There is a rumour tikka has something new coming out for 2016. Don't want to discourage your purchase but might be something to consider. The superlites have a couple known drawbacks with the recoil lug and bolt shroud and only one action size.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 7 mag, but of the two you suggested I would go 308. But i have to agree the 06 would do it better.

I've been eyeing superlites for a long time. They look perfect. There is a rumour tikka has something new coming out for 2016. Don't want to discourage your purchase but might be something to consider. The superlites have a couple known drawbacks with the recoil lug and bolt shroud and only one action size.

The recoil lug problem only exists in larger calibers, he'd never see that in either of his two chosen. I've seen one shroud fall off out of the 100 or so I've sold.

At any rate, Mountain Tactical builds some awesome replacements. Not a deterrent IMHO.

GKPrice

Banned
The recoil lug problem only exists in larger calibers, he'd never see that in either of his two chosen. I've seen one shroud fall off out of the 100 or so I've sold.

At any rate, Mountain Tactical builds some awesome replacements. Not a deterrent IMHO.

TOTALLY agree with that Mountain Tactical makes awesome Tikka parts and just keeps coming with more ....

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the 3006 isn't a bad option, I did not realize the actions are all the same length on the superlight.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at putting a limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle but should I look at more? I wanted to keep it close to factory.

Jimbob

WKR
I went with 30-06 in my T3 lite because I don't think there is any advantage to getting the .308 except that it is a .308 ha ha. I added a limbsaver and topped it with a Leopold 2-7x33 with elevation dial. Under 1 moa and shooting great out to 400 yds with accubonds. Through two seasons now and deer, moose and coyote don't like it. I would love to pillar bed and add some titanium parts but everything is holding up great. I imagine the superlite will be just the same.
Lots of upgrades/add ons for the tikka and more and more becoming available. http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_TIKKA_performance_center.htm

I was just handling the superlite yesterday at the shop and it is a nice gun (it was a 30-06 as well). However what I am looking at buying is the compact in .308. 2" shorter barrel and 12.5" lop make for a nice lightweight and manueaverable gun. It will be a great gun for my son or wife and I can play with it as well.

16Bore

WKR
Long action anyway, might as well fill it up. When the new Hornday ELD-X ammo hits the shelves, you might be shitting in high cotton.

colonel00

WKR
Honestly, my T3 Superlite in 300WM isn't that bad at all with a Limbsaver pad on it. At this point, I'm only shooting factory loads and everything I've tried has done fine but I've been using the Barnes 180gr TTSX lately. As I've stated in other threads, the only "issue" I have is the muzzle jump and followup for a second shot. I plan to shoot it quite a bit more before I decide to go with a brake/porting though. At just over 7lbs, it's a nice setup.

That said, I wouldn't mind someday putting together a super-superlite .308 with a light Leupold scope and all that. But, I wouldn't let potential recoil deter you from another caliber if you really want to shoot a bigger 30 caliber round.

bhylton

WKR
dont forge that you can easily modify the bolt stop and change magazines to give yourself much much much more COAL room. take your 308 or 7-08, grind the bolt stop down so it cycles the same as a long action, then load your 308/7-08 rounds in a 30-06 magazine. i guess that only matters if your handloading long bullets though

GKPrice

Banned
I guess the 3006 isn't a bad option, I did not realize the actions are all the same length on the superlight.

Tikka actions are ALL the same, superlight and T3 lite - the fluting does not remove much weight at all but it's a little and they do an outstanding job on the esthetics in the process - for the nominal added expense of the superlight you get a much cooler looking rifle IMO

GKPrice

Banned
Honestly, my T3 Superlite in 300WM isn't that bad at all with a Limbsaver pad on it. At this point, I'm only shooting factory loads and everything I've tried has done fine but I've been using the Barnes 180gr TTSX lately. As I've stated in other threads, the only "issue" I have is the muzzle jump and followup for a second shot. I plan to shoot it quite a bit more before I decide to go with a brake/porting though. At just over 7lbs, it's a nice setup.

That said, I wouldn't mind someday putting together a super-superlite .308 with a light Leupold scope and all that. But, I wouldn't let potential recoil deter you from another caliber if you really want to shoot a bigger 30 caliber round.

Limbsaver now has a Gen 2 recoil pad out which is noticeably nicer on the shoulder

colonel00

WKR
Limbsaver now has a Gen 2 recoil pad out which is noticeably nicer on the shoulder

Yeah, I've seen those. They look interesting but the Gen 1 (I guess) that I have has been doing fine on it's own. Perhaps a topic for it's own thread but I'd be interested to hear reviews and comparisons to the original none the less.