Help with The Archery Program Software

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
So I downloaded the free version of the TAP program recently because I wanted to print a sight tape for my new Montana BG Ascent 5 pin slider and I wanted to see if the program was worth purchasing. I initially sighted it in by marking the 5 pins of my old Spot hogg on a piece of paper and then lining up the pins on the new sight with the gaps on the marked paper. I will be using my bottom pin as my sliding pin. This gives me the best of two worlds: a five pin fixed sight or freestyle sight should I want to dial to the exact yardage. Now I don't have a chronograph and I don't want to buy one because it's not in my hunting budget right now. I once went to the archery shop and they said I was shooting about 265fps based on their chrono. I do have a scale to measure my arrow weight.

I tried making up a sight tape using the calculated method of fps, bow measurements, sight type, arrow measurements etc., but the tape did not come out accurate to what my bow shoots so I feel it must be user error.

First question: How many clicks and turns do I tell the software for the Montana BG Ascent?

Now I know there is a way to print accurate sight tapes by using the "sight marks" method but I can't figure out how to use it. What am I to print out if I havent entered any info at step one? Am I to print out the sight tape shown and then sight in my 20 yard mark at 20 yards then move to, say, 50 yards and see what mark I am on the tape, input into the computer, generate and reprint a new tape?

what makes this hard is that I can't shoot my bow at home where my computer and printer reside. so I won't know if I've done things right.

I'm open to any and all comments.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
We used to make our own tapes by wrapping the sight drum and then making our first mark after shooting it in on target, then with a waterproof pen, make the mark and stated yardage... Only marked every 10 yards out to 140 but it worked great and anything closer than 5 yards micro adjust wasn't required at that distance because you could just step a yard or so closer... I know this isn't what you are looking for but it worked great for us... Not as clean looking but very functional and worked great when we used the adjustable sights... Now I have moved back to a Hogg-It Hunter 7 pin... I added an 8th pin to the gang and back sighted it out to 100... It's pretty slick.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of questions you have, but this is how I do it. I use Archers Advantage, but TAP is similar. First I found the inputting of perfect data is crucial, no shortcut ting when it ask you for all the measurable specs especially peep to sight and peep to arrow. Put a blank tape on your sight that you can use a pen to make a mark on it. I don't know your particular sight, but easiest way is to sight your slider pin at its non sliding position at whatever distance you desire. Then slide it down and sight in at whatever your furtherst distance will be. Input all your bow data and print a tape. See where you are in relation to your shot in marks. Just keep tweaking the program until the tape you shot in matches the tape from TAP.

Realize the further your two shot in marks are apart the more accurate your tape will be. Also don't rely on just TAP to tell your yard ages are good. Meaning if your shot in marks are 50 and 80, you print a tape and shoot 100 you will be low. TAP will only get close.

I shot in at 60 and 120 for my slider and it is dead nuts using my shot in method. The program shot out a tape based on specs alone and it was close but not close enough to hunt.

This is probably easier to tell you by voice than to text. If you want send me a PM and I will call you. It is actually a pretty simple system.

• Banned
OP
R

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Marlon, originally i did do a tape with pen marks but i was hoping to have computer printed tape in 1 yard increments. If all else fails i will go back to that.

Rosin, I think I got what you're saying. I'm not so sure my measurements at full draw are 100% accurate since my wife was taking them. I will shoot u a pm.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron we probably live within 15 minutes of each other. We can meet at the range and take care of this in one trip. And if needed I live 5 minutes from range so I could build you a tape at my house.

Hardstalk

WKR
+1 on the archers advantage. Even the free version i found to be easier than tap.

PhillyB

WKR
I have theTAPEs program as well and a MBG sight.

I can email you the scale used to sight it in at 30 & 60. Then give me your numbers from the scale and I can print you a sight tape. It is super easy and fairly accurate. I have my MBG set up out to 110 yds. It works pretty slick.

Let me know if you can't get it figured out and need some help.