Help with reloading set up

workethic

FNG
Hello, I was recently given an RCBS rock chucker by my stepdad. It is probably 20 or more years old. With it I got a scale, a couple dies .243 and .270, brass, bullets and primers. All of these can be aged similarly. I do know some folks that reload, but I thought I would reach out here as well as I hadn’t really considered reloading, but now that it’s sitting in my garage I’m finding it hard not to try. I understand I need a primer seater, but don’t know what else. Any input on what you would suggest would be great. Powder and primer recommendations are welcome as well. The prospective loads would be used for hunting. Thank you all

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
There are various hand primers and bench mounted ones as well, ranging from 20 bucks, to over 100, if you want to get fancy. They pretty much all work the same. I like the Lee hand primer, others the rcbs. Pick you color.

You'll want to get extra decapping pins for your dies. You'll break one eventually.

An additional tool/set of tools I find highly useful are concentricity gauges and a way to find/measure to the lands of your particular rifle and a way to measure to the ogive of the bullet. That would consist of things like a modified case (you can buy them, it's basically a fired but body only sized case with the bottom drilled and tapped) an oal tool(Hornady makes a straight and curved one, curved is for at type stuff) and comparator. Hornady, again, makes a kit, where you can buy only the sizes you need. Forster has a datum dial kit, that while much more money, has far more uses. Those are all optional though, I just like them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
You need a way to measure powder, do you have a scale and a trickler?

Do your dies have a decapping pin and an expander ball?

I think a cheap handheld chamfer / deburr tool is a good idea, and cheap.

You need lube for your dies, maybe some brushes to clean primer pockets and necks. You can clean cases with rags, maybe some fine steel wool, acetone or alcohol and rags as opposed to tumbling.

Having a way to measure OAL and CBTO is nice. Set of calipers, comparator, oal gauge

tdhanses

WKR
First off are you ready to jump into a rabbit hole of expenses, if no just let it collect dust. Reloading, like most hobbies, isn’t inexpensive and you’ll find this free $150 in reloading items costs you $500 to $1k by the end of the year.

Get a reloading manual and read it front to back.
I got 2 and read them both before starting.
There is also some excellent resources on YouTube

Youtube is a great resource. I recommend watching Panhandle Precision.

As said above you were just given a gateway drug and the first taste was free. It can get expensive from here so proceed with caution. Honestly, if factory ammo shot well for me I would have never bought into it. Now I am into it for much more than I planned. It is frustrating but fun when it works out.

Last edited:

JJMoody

FNG
Some good advice. Sam on Panhandle Precision (YouTube) is a wealth of knowledge paired with a quality video. Basic reloading can be done with basic tools. Press, “properly” set up dies, primers, brass, powder and Bullets. My 270 always liked H4831sc, .243 I’d look strongly at Varget, H4895, H4350, maybe RL15... just off the top of my head.

JJMoody

FNG
A mentor is very helpful. Seriously... looking back at the stoopid stuff we did as kids self-teaching, it’s a wonder we didn’t blow anything up....

I also like Panhandle Precision on Youtube.
It is important not to resize the brass with too much shoulder bump, so either a RCBS precision mic or a comparator can help:

Also accuracy can be affected by bullet seating depth, so a bullet seating gauge by Hornady or Stony Point
can help:

I started like you over 30 years ago with an RCBS rock chucker and reloading equipment from the 1970s I bought at a garage sale.

I reload for 2 reasons: 1) improved accuracy as each rifle "likes" a particular load 2) cost savings for example I reload my .270 with Barnes TTSX and 50 bullets cost $30, and my .300 H &H premium factory loads are over $75 here in Alaska. Plus I like the satisfaction of hand-loading like fly-tying.

Last edited:

Curoso

FNG
Take some advice from above and just give it a shot. I started reloading a couple years ago and now I reload everything I shoot. My $200 single stage quickly turned into a turret press but everything I have I use. It’s nice to try new loads, bullets depths, etc. just be careful and pay attention. Recently had a buddy double charge a load. Exploded his gun and had surgery on his hand.

Work ethic, where are you located? I’ve got a brand new lee hand primer I’ll donate if you want it.

I’d say pick one caliber to start. Read the manual, Speer, nosler, Barnes, hodgden all have great ones.

Don’t get too bogged down in the minutes of bullet runout, case trimming, etc. to begin.

Take your once fired brass, lube it, deprime, resize, reprime, weigh a powder charge for each case, seat a bullet, and shoot it.

If you enjoy the project, and attention to detail, continue to your heart’s content.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I started into reloading a few years ago because I could never find the ammo that my 22-250 liked on the shelf when I needed it. Today, my bench is 8 feet long and 3 feet wide and just about all of the space is used up as either a station in my reloading process or a station to clean and work on my guns. I now reload for everything I shoot, shoot more often, and actually buy new guns just to reload for. It can be a really addicting hobby. I did not have a mentor, so I read The ABC's of Reloading, bought and read 3 reloading manuals, and watched a lot of YouTube videos. I made some mistakes along the way that a mentor probably would of prevented me from making, but nothing serious. I think I am pretty good at it now and have everything that I need. Once you start, you will see where you need or want to upgrade equipment. Start with the basics, make some ammo, have fun, and be careful.

rayporter

WKR
best advise given!
go slow or you will have a million gadgets you dont use and spent a ton on them.
Work ethic, where are you located? I’ve got a brand new lee hand primer I’ll donate if you want it.

I’d say pick one caliber to start. Read the manual, Speer, nosler, Barnes, hodgden all have great ones.

Don’t get too bogged down in the minutes of bullet runout, case trimming, etc. to begin.

Take your once fired brass, lube it, deprime, resize, reprime, weigh a powder charge for each case, seat a bullet, and shoot it.

If you enjoy the project, and attention to detail, continue to your heart’s content.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Hey everyone, thank you for all the advice, tips and informational recommendations! This is very helpful. I am sorry for the delay on getting back to this thread, but life can get in the way of things. I plan to watch some videos over the next few days from the ones recommended. I plan to start small and see if I like it. Again thank you all for the help I really appreciate all the advice!

OP
W

workethic

FNG

I really appreciate the offer, but I have a friend that is going to give me his when I brought this up to him. The generosity on here is great and is why I keep coming back!