Help with Hornady Resizing Bushings

I recently picked up some Hornady Match dies for 6.5 PRC. What bushing size should I buy? Or how should I measure to figure out what size to buy?

TaperPin

WKR
Anyone? Lol
Lol
Depends on the neck diameter of the brass with a bullet seated. I know, it’s hard to seat a bullet if it’s not sized, but trying to guesstimate never seems to work, however you measure neck thickness never seems to be right. For the cost of a wasted/mismeasured bushing, a set of regular dies could be obtained, or you could borrow a die and buy your buddy lunch.

Exact neck diameter measured also seems to overstate the resized diameter a bit - brass springs back, you’re measuring high spots of the brass, etc.

I seat a bullet in a case sized the normal way, measure and subtract .004” or .005” for .003” ish of grip. More people end up with too little grip, than too much, and have to buy a second die. Probably safe to assume you’ll buy a second die eventually, so don’t be disappointed. :)

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
I recently picked up some Hornady Match dies for 6.5 PRC. What bushing size should I buy? Or how should I measure to figure out what size to buy?
You will probably land somewhere between .288" and .292". Depends on the brand of brass and how much neck tension you want. You can get a rough estimate by measuring a loaded cartridge neck dia. and then subtract .002" to .005".
I usually start out by buying 3-4 bushings to try.

OP
jlchester5045
Ok thank you. First set of bushing dies so I’m learning as I go. I just ordered a .288. Wish I would’ve ordered a couple. I’m working with Hornady brass.

Axlrod

WKR
You should be pretty close with Hornady brass. If needed you can also use RCBS, Redding & Wilson bushings in your Hornady die.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
After loading one up id measure the neck then get a die that gives you .005 and another that gives you .003 then test and see which works best. Try to pull the bullet out with your fingers and remeasure. If you can pull it out it may wiggle loose over time.

Also using a good mandrel in my reloading process has helped with neck consistency as well.

Anneal, bushing, mandrel and i get more consistent oal than without doing those. I started out doing none of that then did a bushing, then annealed everytime, now i added a mandrel too.

After you do enough you'll find what works for you.

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
Call Hornady. They’ll help you get the rights size.

Measure neck wall thickness multiply that by 2, add the bullet diameter. That is your finished diameter without neck tension accounted for. Now, subtract whatever diameter neck bushing you want to use to determine your neck bushing. If you want 0.002” neck tension, choose a bushing that is 0.003” under size to account for spring back do the brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jlchester5045
Yeah it looks like I’m taking the same route. Haven’t got an annealing machine or mandrels yet but I’m sure it will come in time. Annealing machines aren’t cheap. Thank you for the advice.

OP
jlchester5045
I recently did call Hornady. Catering having the conversation with them, I went ahead and ordered a .288. I still haven’t had a chance to measure but I’ll just order another one if I need to

Axlrod

WKR
Yeah it looks like I’m taking the same route. Haven’t got an annealing machine or mandrels yet but I’m sure it will come in time. Annealing machines aren’t cheap. Thank you for the advice.
Nah save your money for more practice ammo. Not a single hunting rifle made will shoot quantifiably better with annealed brass or mandrels. But EVERY shooter will shoot better with more shooting!

TaperPin

WKR
The old school way of annealing with a hand held propane torch works quite well, although it is slower than a machine. Even in a benchrest forum where they all test every technique to death, not a single person had annealed the old way, changed to a machine, and had a noticeable change in group size. I’ve asked that every couple years since annealing machines have been popular, always with the same responses.

OP
jlchester5045
Nah save your money for more practice ammo. Not a single hunting rifle made will shoot quantifiably better with annealed brass or mandrels. But EVERY shooter will shoot better with more shooting!
Prob some of the best advice someone can give. Very true statement.

OP
jlchester5045
There’s a lot of the reloading process I don’t do that they say you have to in order to get small groups. I still get small groups. The only reason I’m doing this is the hope of cutting down on how much I’m working the brass to extend life. Just recently started shooting NRL Hunter matches and I’m not made of money.

Axlrod

WKR
There’s a lot of the reloading process I don’t do that they say you have to in order to get small groups. I still get small groups. The only reason I’m doing this is the hope of cutting down on how much I’m working the brass to extend life. Just recently started shooting NRL Hunter matches and I’m not made of money.
You are already ahead of the game with "I don’t do that they say you have to in order to get small groups. I still get small groups." The target is the only thing that matters.
As for brass life, the primer pockets are what usually go first. Annealing will do nothing to stop it. Good brass (Lapua, ADG) and staying off max pressure loads will give you more firings before you get loose pockets.

OP
jlchester5045
Yeah I see what you’re saying. In my mind (questionable sometimes) I thought by working the neck less it keep me from needing annealing haha

TaperPin

WKR
The guys to listen to are the one’s that say what worked for them, and then say you should test it in your rifle. Everything we do is easily testable with a ten round group ( or stack multiple 3 or 5 round groups) - do the things that help, don’t do the things that don’t.