Help with a .308 load

I really think you're gonna need to be around 43.2-43.7 with that load. I know you're chasing velocity but velocity = pressure and 308's are not speed rounds. I ran your load through quick load and no matter how I do it I show overpressure for those velocities. now, I cant compensate for a can so maybe someone with more experience in that area will chime in.

I realize you're new to this so you may not understand why I said to drop your charge weight.
when reloading, you have to listen to what the gun is telling you and what the chrono tells you. you gun has told you it is building pressure earlier than most, and the chrono agrees buy showing higher than normal velocity. the gun also told you that every load you tried with that higher pressure it did not like, hence your group size. this is why I say drop that charge weight a bit.
now, the es/sd and overpressure can be from a few things, it can be primers, neck length, crimp etc.
if you are crimping then don't, you shouldn't need it. sometimes a gun just builds pressure, it happens and all you can do is accept it or rebarrel it. it's always best to just give the gun what it wants and be happy with accuracy over velocity.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I am using the data Hodgdon put out for TAC. All brass is once fired Hornady original fired in this gun and bumped .002. Bullets are not crimped and I have a consistent .008 neck tension using Hornady custom dies. I’m not chasing velocity per see but do want to find the optimal load. What kind of accuracy should I expect from a Caldwell Pro chronograph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
c4b4af9955b3dedc88767b41996ef80b.jpg

FLS

WKR
People love making reloading harder than it is.
If federal GMM shoots well clone it.
Your once fired Fed brass
fed match primer
42.8 IMR 4064
168SMK
That load info has been available forever.
Substitue a 165 Grain Tangent Ogive bullet like a 165 Game King, 165 NBT / Accubond, 165 Speer BT and rock on.
If you want to use Varget use 44-45 grains
If you want to use TAC try 42 grains.
RL15 42 grains
H4895 42 grains
One of those loads will shoot well in your rifle unless it has a mechanical problem. They shoot well in everyones else’.
Your rifle doesn’t like Secant Ogive bullets. My factory 700s don’t either..
Good Luck.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I have a consistent .008 neck tension using Hornady custom dies.
That's a LOT. I don't believe in little variables making a huge difference to a load, but that's more than I've ever heard of, if that's correct.

yes 8 thou. is a lot. should be half that at most. as far as accuracy of a chrono, only way to know is compare it to another chrono. I do have that one and it has been fairly accurate compared to my magneto. but distance from muzzle makes a big difference in readings. put the chrono 10-15 feet from you and see what you get.
do you have or can you get a different die? hornady dies in my exp. are low quality and have caused problems. not saying you got a bad one but it's possible. also did you get standard dies or small dies?
one test you can do on your rounds is simple. take the bolt out of your gun and turn it muzzle down. take a factory round and drop it in the chamber, look and listen as it falls in. now take your loaded round and do the same thing. does it fall and sound the same, did it go in the same amount?
if you have checking dies then you can just use those instead, but I don't expect you do.

did you get your other issue solved with the pressure? if not, this may all be related.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sorry I was wrong, after re-measuring the neck tension I am at .0025-.003

SDHNTR

WKR
little surprised by the velocity but glad to see you're getting there. what's your max load for pressure signs? also, try groups with the can off.
27-2800 with a 150gr and 44-45 gr TAC surprises you? Sounds about right to me.

16" barrel w/suppressor, would expect to be more in the 2500 - 2600 range which is likely where he'll find the accuracy. that's what I'm coming up with for vel. on quickload also.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't that a match bullet?

Curious what pressure signs.
168 amax is easy to load. One of those 'not picky' projectiles. 2660-2680 in a Tikka with varget. Its a soft bullet that works well at longer range even tho it isnt top of the class in BC. Not ideal for under 100y