Help me with my layering on top

I have a 40% off Sitka Code and it’s Kuiu sale weekend. I’m a sucker for a deal but probably don’t need anything. Is there anything in my upper body layering system I should seriously consider adding

Versatility is the most important and I am an absolute sissy when it comes to temps. I don’t like to be cold, hot, or wet. I sit water a lot elk hunting and I spend a lot more time behind glass than I do hiking for deer.

This year alone I’ll archery hunt deer plus doves and early geese in California (think 100 degrees and dry). Elk in Wyoming in September so could be 89 could be a blizzard, 3rd season Colorado mule deer rounded out with what will probably be 50 days of waterfowl in The valley in California (wet and wind make 40 feel cold).

Current system has the entire line of black ovis merino, peloton 240, jet stream, a soft shell vest, a fleece vest, two Columbia puffys and three different types of Columbia shells. Almost everything has a hood which I greatly prefer.

Anything I must have during these sales? I’m thinking core light weight hoody and maybe a peloton 97 or a core Hw??

OP
Banded_spooney
I’m pretty happy pants wise but I love my kenia zip off bottoms but they are too warm to walk in so I was thinking about getting a pair of peloton or merino zip off bottoms. If nothing else it would be awesome to zip them off after a sunny day goose hunt when it’s time to pick up decoys. Any experience with these?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the 97 bottoms because I was so impressed with the 97 hoody (great warmth for the weight). I figured the zip off feature was just a gimmick. I was wrong, they work as advertised- no need to take boots off. Under a minute and your long johns are off.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll also say grab a set of the peloton 97s. The tops run about a half size smaller than their merino.

I've found the Sitka Ambient hoody to be extremely versatile and one of my favorite layering pieces.

I’ve found that I don’t like the feeling of merino tops. So I really like the Sitka core lightweights. Also super happy with my kuiu peloton 200 as a mid/ outer layer depending on temp

OP
Banded_spooney
Sounds like adding the top and bottom 97 is in the cards. Thanks for all the advice.

Any reason at this point I should add a core light weight too?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like adding the top and bottom 97 is in the cards. Thanks for all the advice.

Any reason at this point I should add a core light weight too?
Compared to the 97 it’s a little cooler and more durable fabric. If you’re hunting in these layers the core will take abrasion a bit better.

I agree with the zip off bottom situation, awesome idea. But now there is also the Stone Glacier helio zip off that adds a lot to the mix. I greatly my regular helio bottoms on colder days than the kuiu zip offs as the helios are warmer, but this will also mean they breathe leas, so depending on the situation (static vs active) you might want either or.

The sitka ambient series is an amazing thing in my eyes. Worth the price of admission for at least the hoody given your stated hunting objectives. Couple this with a lightwt base and you can be comfortable static into the upper 50’s and active down into the 30’s. Add a shell over top and you are comfortable even lower. Very versatile piece. I feel the kuiu mid laters are not near as breathable but more durable.

dkell

FNG
I really like the ambient hoody over the top of a lw hoody. Reiterate the sentiment that’ll work in a wide range of temps depending on activity level.

OP
Banded_spooney
Update:
I bought the Peloton 97 hoodie and zip offs. They seem like they will be awesome for a lot of activities. Super comfy, fit great. I also got the merino Baclava (I’m big fan of baclavas duck hunting). Not super impressed. Feels like it’ll be too warm as a face mask but not warm enough as a true baclava. I can see it being useful during early turkey season.

I ordered a core light weight hoodie too. Haven’t got it yet so we will see

OP
Banded_spooney
Update again:
Happy with all of the purchases for quality. The 97 hoodie is getting a tremendous amount of use. I wore it every day of an 11 day elk hunt. Highly recommend it. Warmer days I wore the core lightweight under it and just carried peloton 240 in my pack. two colder days I wore a heavy merino under it and had my jetstream in my pack.

I only used the zip offs twice on a mule deer hunt last week. They came off early but were nice to have and way more friendly that the Kenia pants i've loved for years. Highly recommend these too.

Core light weight is nice and I'm going to continue to use it since I have it but could definitely do without it in my system. Would be perfect for August/early September archery deer hunts. I do participate in such activities but its not high on my priority list. Could easily be replaced with a light merino under the 97.

The kuiu merino baclava has been more useful than anticipated solely because early goose season was cooler than expected and elk season was warmer than expected. Added comfort to a very niche temperature range which is nice but is likely unnecessary for most people in most situations IMO.