Help me scope my mountain rifle

SDHNTR

WKR
This is usually not me. I usually know what I want, make quick decisions and am confident in them. But this one has me stumped. I've spent a mint on scopes trying to find perfect for this rifle and I'm still not there. Rifle is a 22' barrel custom 6.5 PRC, Defiance Anti and a Bartlein #3. Weighs 6.5 lbs and I don't want to weigh it down too much. For the sake of this discussion, please lets keep it to these scope models, which I own already, or models that fit all the criteria below. Zeiss V6 3-18x50, Swarovski Z6 3-18X50, and March 2.5-25X52. FYI, I've also considered and eliminated a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 (hated the eyebox), so no need mentioning that one. These are my criteria, which would you run with and why? Personal experiences only please.

Lightweight, 25oz max
30 mil tube
top end mag range in the 16-20X range
Durability/Reliability/Predictability
Track/RTZ and retain zero
Usable reticle. Not busy. Wind holds on horizontal.
SFP/MOA
prefer non illuminated (center illum only ok)
will dial, but for hunting use (not every shot) and reasonable practice out to maybe 800ish.

These are my thoughts so far:

Swaro Z6. I love everything about this scope, but don't trust it. Best glass, lightest, best reticle, best parallax adjuster, best eyebox, best FOV, and perfect zoom range. The most usable in the field by all accounts. BUT, before this thing even had a bullet fired underneath it, the turret on the scope sheared clean off in shipping and revealed the plastic erector system. That said, I also have this exact same scope on another gun and its been flawless. Tracks, and RTZ is good, but it only has 2-300 shots through it. Also has purported internet reputation of failure. I HATE the doubt in the back of my mind, but all the specs on this one are perfect and the glass, of course, is spectacular.

Zeiss V6. I also love this scope and from what I have found so far, this is probably the best value in hunting scopes. Seems to do everything pretty well and is the most cost effective. I'm not in love with the parallax adjuster or the reticle, but I can live with both. Good turrets, good FOV, good glass, forgiving eyebox, pretty user friendly. Zero personal issues with tracking and zero retention, but I know some report some issues in this regard. I have one on a 7 mag and its been used with success and not been babied. I have no reason not to trust it and MOST internet reviews attest to its durability and reliability.

March 2.5-25X52. Throw that last few X's off there, I'll never use them. I wish this were a 6X zoom erector. That said, the eyebox is workable. I actually like the parallax adjuster on this one. You know it when it's right. My biggest beef with this one is for my eyes, I can't get the reticle focused perfectly crisp. It's 90% close, but not perfect. I think Swaro and Zeiss beat it out in glass clarity, well definitely Swaro, but it could just be the reticle thing for me. This one also needs illumination as the reticle is just a touch thin to see well in low light on a dark background. It definitely feels like the most well built of the 3, and I think I trust it more with regard to tracking and zero retention. I have the most confidence in this scope taking a beating.

So folks, which are you going with and why?

Last edited:
Man you have a lot of scope threads these days! Sounds like your in analysis paralysis with this build. There is no perfect product we have to make sacrifice somewhere. As someone who is chasing that perfection as well can definitely relate to your conundrum. That said on to the scope discussion…

Can’t speak to the March but if durability and tracking are high on the list the zeiss definitely has that feel. Really solid turret clicks that you can count without looking at dial. The ZMOA 2 is decent but reticle a little thin for my liking and I don’t like mucking with illumination. Plus if you want to put at 9x and use windage your working with 4 MOA holds which is not great for me. Same goes for Swaro and the 4w.

Breaking the rules here I went with a VX5hd. Lightweight and has some of the best eye box and relief available. The Windplex at 1 MOA gives a 2 MOA hold at 7.5x and there is even a line for it on power ring. Magnification at 7.5 is reasonable to spot shots. Yea I know there is some known issues with scope but that’s the breaks.

I have a March 2.5-25x42. I killed a bull at dusk that was in burned timber. It was a ways out there. I didn’t have trouble seeing the crosshairs without illumination.

So far it has held up fine for me. I haven’t put it through Forms’ style of tests though.

Of those three I’m buying a March. And I love Swaro optics.

I won’t buy a Zeiss V4/V6 after seeing one that wouldn’t hold zero from shot to shot. It turned a 0.5 MOA rifle into a 1.5 MOA rifle.

aman

FNG
I went through the same decision process and ended up trying to decide between ATACR 4-16 at 28oz and March 3-24x42 at 24oz. Ordered the March.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Man you have a lot of scope threads these days! Sounds like your in analysis paralysis with this build. There is no perfect product we have to make sacrifice somewhere. As someone who is chasing that perfection as well can definitely relate to your conundrum. That said on to the scope discussion…

Can’t speak to the March but if durability and tracking are high on the list the zeiss definitely has that feel. Really solid turret clicks that you can count without looking at dial. The ZMOA 2 is decent but reticle a little thin for my liking and I don’t like mucking with illumination. Plus if you want to put at 9x and use windage your working with 4 MOA holds which is not great for me. Same goes for Swaro and the 4w.

Breaking the rules here I went with a VX5hd. Lightweight and has some of the best eye box and relief available. The Windplex at 1 MOA gives a 2 MOA hold at 7.5x and there is even a line for it on power ring. Magnification at 7.5 is reasonable to spot shots. Yea I know there is some known issues with scope but that’s the breaks.
True. I have 3 rifles that need scopes right now. Off season boredom. Tearing apart stuff that isn’t 100%. Yes, I’m a particular fellow! And thanks, but no Leupolds!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I also don't want to derail my own thread, so please keep on track here. Rhetorical question... Why does shot distance matter with regard to weight? Carry weight is what matters more. I have a couple heavier rifles when I do hunts on easier country or closer to a vehicle. I don't mind a few more ounces on those guns. Then I have a couple of lighter weight rifles for rough country where every ounce matters. The potential for a long shot is there either way. And I did state distance in the original post.

Last edited:

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Re-read the OP's post
I did. He asked either one of the three scopes he had or fit the criteria:

Lightweight, 25oz max
30 mil tube
SFP/MOA
will dial, but for hunting use (not every shot) and reasonable practice out to maybe 800ish.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Out of that lineup March is the only one with a bomber tracking and durability record
This wouldn't even be a question and this post wouldn't have happened if I could get the March to focus properly. No matter what, I just cant get that reticle clear.

I sent March an email, but really wish I could get someone on the phone here in the US to help me.

Ram94

WKR
Does anyone have a link to any durability tests or reviews on the March scopes?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I did. He asked either one of the three scopes he had or fit the criteria:

Lightweight, 25oz max
30 mil tube
SFP/MOA
I have owned a Z6 and had tracking issues with it after about 9 months. I also agree I dont care for the NX8. No experience with the zeiss or march.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a lot more magnification than that rifle needs, practically speaking.

You are building a lightweight mountain rifle and trying to put target/precision rifle magnification on it.

Having been there, a svelte mountain rifle generally delivers best with an optic featuring a 42mm or so objective. This allows medium rings and mounting lower, to match trim mountain rifle stocks while giving you good cheek placement on the stock/eye in the center of the optic.

That objective limits magnification…but not in anything practical.

Now I’m going to prove myself wrong as I continue to try and do exactly what you are trying to do with a mountain rifle…I have several attempts at hybrid mountain/precision rifles that ended up being too big and heavy.

https://www.leupold.com/mark-5hd-36-18x44-m5c3-illum-ffp-tremor-3-riflescope

Thats the optic you likely want…more or less.

YMMV.

This wouldn't even be a question and this post wouldn't have happened if I could get the March to focus properly. No matter what, I just cant get that reticle clear.

I sent March an email, but really wish I could get someone on the phone here in the US to help me.
That's a bummer
I'm sure they'll take it back and fix whatever is causing the focus issue.
Does anyone have a link to any durability tests or reviews on the March scopes?
I don't have a specific link but I did a ton of research on March last year before buying my FX 4.5-28.
They've been put through the ringer and in more than one test they've been said to have the truest calibration and least reticle cant
Check out some threads on the Hide