Help me pick a pad......

4ester

WKR
Looking to upgrade from my Z-lite pad this year and onto an inflatable. I've been trying to read up on them but unsure as to which one to buy. Will be used on UL pack trips in temps down to 0 degrees. But mostly 20-30 degrees.

Looking at:

1) Sea to Summit UL Insulated
2) Thermarest NeoAir Xlite
3) Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm

S to S is offering a free pump bag right now so leaning that way.

Thanks in advance.

>>>-------------------->

Last edited:

wl704

FNG
I've been looking at the xtherm and nemo tensor.

It would be nice if nemo included r value for comparison...

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
Anyone use the sea to summit? I've read some good reviews on them but anyone have some first hand experience?

>>>-------------------->

JP20

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a big Agnes, xtherm are too noisy for me I could hear my buddy in his tent 20' away all night last year

Markdjr

FNG
I have xtherm and tried the big agnes, I now use a Nemo pad that is well worth the minor weight penalty.

Graves14

WKR
I have the sea to summit and LOVE IT. I have both insulated and uninsulated versions of the comfort plus. They inflate easily, make almost no noise and are epically comfortable. Also their valves are the best in the business. Quick to fill and empty in 2-3 seconds.

Shotgun

FNG
I just got a sea to summit and like it so far. It's quiet and comfy. After messing with it compared to my Exped. It seems like the SS should withstand better abuse from punctures. The way the cells are designed it would/should take more force and effort for an object to punch a hole over the longer air cell designs. Time will tell, but I like it so far.

Rhansen

Lil-Rokslider
I also just picked up the S2S Insulated UL. It was that or the XLite and ultimately it came down to the noise the Xlight makes and the valve on S2S seemed to be a better design. I thought the S2S looked like it would be more confortable as well. Weights and R value between the two are pretty identical. I don't think you would go wrong with either though.

Just picked up the s2S Comfort Plus Insulated and got a chance to use it over the weekend. The dual valve system lets you set the bottom side stiff to keep ground off your body while the upper can be set a little softer for comfort. It inflates real quick and deflates just as quick. The downside to me is that it is a little heavier than my Big Agnes Ql and packs larger as well. They both have the same R value.

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Another one here who recently picked up the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated.... same opinions as everyone else above. We shall see how it will hold up in the fall/winter, but for now it seems like it'll perform great.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
I picked up the S2S Ultralight Insulated. I liked the look of the pleat design. Hopefully will give it a field trial in the upcoming weeks.

>>>-------------------->

I own a variety of pads with different R ratings up to 6.0 and of varying thicknesses. The longer I will be using it, the more padding I want. A thin pad is fine for a day or two but a week or two requires something 2.5" to 3.5" thick. I match the rating to the lowest possible temps for the trip. No one pad is sufficient for everything. The Xtherm is a great midrange option, the Klymit for summer heat but an EXPED UL9 is my choice for serious cold. Basic rule is this...the lower the temps, the heavier the pad. <g>

gelton

WKR
Xtherm has done its job for me over the last four seasons. Still going strong so no need to replace it. Might have a look at exped next just for a change of pace.