Help me pick a bad weather shelter

After running an SO BT2 all this year, I've decided to use two different shelters for next season. I'm going to run a Paratarp for good weather, but I haven't decided on what I want when it's raining/snowing. My problem with the BT2 is the condensation. It's stupid to get dripped on inside a shelter every time it's raining outside. I like to keep things pretty light, and no way am I packing a stove. Price isn't really an issue. Right now the only thing I'm coming up with is the Hilleberg Enan, though I feel it's a bit on the heavy side. I've looked at the tarp tents, but i've heard they'll end up dripping in bad rain too. This will get used in any bad weather from August on, in the Frank in November, and probably some winter/snow camps too. Any other suggestions?

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
After running an SO BT2 all this year, I've decided to use two different shelters for next season. I'm going to run a Paratarp for good weather, but I haven't decided on what I want when it's raining/snowing. My problem with the BT2 is the condensation. It's stupid to get dripped on inside a shelter every time it's raining outside. I like to keep things pretty light, and no way am I packing a stove. Price isn't really an issue. Right now the only thing I'm coming up with is the Hilleberg Enan, though I feel it's a bit on the heavy side. I've looked at the tarp tents, but i've heard they'll end up dripping in bad rain too. This will get used in any bad weather from August on, in the Frank in November, and probably some winter/snow camps too. Any other suggestions?

Have you considered a hammock setup? I like it because your bottom layer of insulation doesn't get compressed by laying on it. If you hang it right, you'll never be wet from anything, let alone condensation. And I've tested mine down to single digits and been fine, as well as all types of precipitation. I have a double layer hammock and if I know it's going to be cold, I'll carry a body length piece of reflectix to put between the layers and help stay warm. I think my entire sleep system (hammock that has a built in bug net and under quilt, top quilt, tarp, stakes, guy lines, and suspension) total about 4lbs. Compared to a ground based system, bivies excluded, you'd be hard pressed to find this much comfort and protection from the elements at this little weight. I can do it with my BA Fly Creek 2 platinum; but, I have to use my Neo-Air and one of my down top quilts and then I'm dealing with condensation and I'm nowhere near as comfortable and don't have as much room.

Just my two cents. You can get into a silnylon hammock/tarp setup for relatively cheap to see if you like it. If you do, the sky is the limit. I used to swear I'd never leave a tent. Now that I tried it, it takes a certain situation to want to get back in one, you probably don't want to hear about it because that situation involves a stove.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nothing wrong with the Enan. We've been using it here at S&S since if first came out last spring. We run it in a few different configurations based on the season. We use just the tent without the inner liner in early season. Using the footprint or a bivy. The vents keep the condensation from getting bad, or you can do like me and just leave the door open. You can use the tent with the liner and be sure to stay dry no matter what the weather. Its a solid shelter in very heavy wind and rain. (trust me on this one, it was a LONG night, but i stayed dry) The heaviest config is just 2lbs. For the weight i don't think you're going to find a better shelter.

We're also considering doing a couple improvements. Maybe replacing the poles with carbon, and making a lighter footprint that has a bathtub like lip. Anyone interested in something like that should shoot me a PM.

Look for a writeup/review in the next few weeks.

DaveC

WKR
All shelters of any type with get condensation under certain conditions. Double walls with fabric inners and good vents require the least thought.

OP, what does "bad weather" mean? The BT2 does worst in heavy rain which is not accompanied by strong wind, i.e. when condition oblige you to zip the doors all the way and the atmosphere doesn't help you out with air flow. A big tarp pitched high deals with such conditions well, but will give you trouble when the wind kicks up and the snow piles up. If you want something that copes well with all conditions, you have to pay the weight penalty.

OP
PathFinder
Considering how much I like the BT2 other than the condensation, a liner isn't a bad option. I have looked into hammocks a bit but never really considered them to be a foul weather shelter. I definitely see the advantages to them though. This sleep system will be used any time a bad rain storm is expected, in snow, and on long hunts (3 days plus) when I can't just swap shelters when the weather changes. It will get used in the Frank in November. I'll have a base camp wall tent, and hike in with this system. It may get used in December on the Front if I want to camp on a buck or bull, but only a night at a time. Ramshead thanks for the heads up on Big Sky, I really like some of those designs.

The Tarptents won't be a problem in rain with a second wall (mesh or solid). I know this for a fact but you must pitch em properly so the two walls are adequately separate and not touching one another. The SS2 is very spacious and comfy for the long rain and is their tallest tent.

That said, if I am hunting solo and moving my camp each day I too prefer a hammock. I am quite comfy "roughing it" inside a hammock under a tarp. With an underquilt and top quilt these suckers heat up fast and can be pitched in minutes anywhere...no flat ground devoid of roots and rock necessary. You can hang on the side of a mountain with a 60* slope. generally I sleep better in a hammock due to six motorcycle crashes and a bad back.

[video=youtube;ZuWTfC_fOgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWTfC_fOgA[/video]

Last edited:
One other thing, spending days in a hammock in foul weather would suck but you'll be dry. There were tents on these pads before the storm hit, they were gone the next morning. LOL

samking

FNG
i wish i could spend some time in such hammock while raining :D
edit: nice tutorial video

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR
Was gettin ready to make a smart ass remark about the six crashes, tried to remember how many times I,'ve crashed, and can't quite come up with a solid number..
Those hammocks look pretty handy.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Bruce do you have to cook and such out in the elements and such with the hammock? The draw back for me for a hammock in poor weather is it would seem you can really only bed laying down in the hammock to be out of the elements which would be a bummer for a couple long days of bad weather and fog. I very much like to be able to sit up and relax in my tipi and make coffee or tea or even meals out of the wind and rain and even play cards and stuff with hunting partners. The hammock as I see it limits you to only being able to lay down to avoid the elements but maybe I am wrong. Just curious as I have never used one. Thanks for any insight.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I've wondered about that too. I guess you could huddle under your tarp a little but you are pretty exposed. I don't know if I could handle having to weather a storm for a day or two with just having the hammock to lay in by myself. I don't disagree that there are some great uses for hammocks but I'll stick with a floorless shelter with a stove and room to move, sit, lay, cook, clean a hide, repair a weapon/gear/clothing, unpack/repack my pack, etc.

Please note I recommend a tent for rain or spike camp but a hammock for bivy in snow. You can hunt while it's snowing but rain tends to make folks wanna hunker down and a tent is best for that...or a tipi with a stove. But for a compact shelter that is toasty a hammock will work and you just gotta play with your rig to learn the lessons. For example. if the wind is constant, you button down the tarp at a steep angle on that side but can leave the other side up so you can see out. That's how the tarp was rigged in the pics above...this side is getting hammered by wind.

I like some head room and a hammock is an easy chair too so cooking under the tarp is no prob. The difference in space between the tent and tarp are less than you might think. You gotta play around with the gear at home as there is a learning curve. But there's actually a fair amount of space under my tarp.

With the doors on the end buttoned up it is pretty nice even in truly sucky weather.

Yep...it's under there!

I stopped riding when CA passed the helmet law and I got married but I wouldn't trade those 300,000+ miles on two wheels for anything. Some of the best years of my life!

Hammocks are NOT for everyone but I like em. I sleep so much better off the ground for some reason. This hammock has a time and place in a kit locker. If I were headed into steep unknown territory I would take it because you can pitch a hammock almost anywhere. Some places are devoid of suitable flat ground without roots and rocks.

Winter is an ideal time to play in the yard with your new gear and field testing has always been a favorite way of passing the off season. The wife thinks I'm crazy but takes comfort in the fact I thoroughly test everything to death before using it in the field. Not just shelters either but literally everything I pack. Can't wait for the El Nino storms this winter...good opportunity to test some new clothing.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA…I hear ya on testing gear in the off season…though my off season seems to get shorter every year. ;)

Thanks for the explanation. While you can hunt in the snow, generally the days are pretty short as well which means LONG nights and I can't hunt in the dark especially here in Alaska so unless I wanna spend 12 or so hours laid up in bed even on good days I probably should stick to more conventional tents for my uses. But you seem to have the hammock thing dialed in for what you do and need. Thanks again.