Help Me Join The Dark Side

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m shoot a Axius Ultra, basically the same bow with aluminum riser.
Like someone said, check the limbs over. Draw the bow and watch the top then bottom cam for lean.
My personal setup is a QAD Integrated rest, Spot Hogg Fast Eddie MRT 3 pin, crossover 812 stabilizer and Tight Spot 5 arrow.
Switched to a Carter Wise Choice 4 finger a year ago and love it. Arrows are Easton Axis 5mm 300, wrapped with 3 AAE Max Hunters, VPA footers and 125 Exodus heads.
Should have answered everything.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Y'all are awesome. I appreciate all the advice! I am definitely intrigued by the idea of the fast eddie three pin vertical post. especially since I expect to be very comfortable with holdover from my trad life. I think setting my top pin for 25-30 and trick pinning it so to speak, would be a fast and easy setup out to 50+, then dialing from there. I don't know how cheap those can be found used though. Gotta do some more digging.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Great bow, if it’s well taken care of you can normally tell and vise versa.

Rest QAD, especially for a hunting rest, best containment and reliability there is. I have limb driven rests as well and wouldn’t put one on my hunting bow.
Care to explain avoiding a limb driven rest, when they're always going to fall at the shot? Seems like that's more important than anything else to me?

Elkhntr08

WKR
When the limb returns to brace, it has slack in the drive cord which allows the rest to fall.
I personally don’t want that much cord, running from the rest to bottom limb. I’ve also seen the attachment bracket or knot come loose. Never had that happen with the cable football.
It’s personal preference, some guys swear by them.

nphunter

WKR
Care to explain avoiding a limb driven rest, when they're always going to fall at the shot? Seems like that's more important than anything else to me?

In 15 years of shooting QAD’s on my bows and my wife and kids bows I’ve had a QAD not fall 1 time. That was because I messed up installing it and didn’t attach the cord correctly.

I like to have a secure arrow when stalking or having an arrow nocked and having to move. The QAD you can lock up with an arrow in it and it will keep your arrow from flopping around when walking. A limb driver even one with a cage the arrow will bounce around while walking or if you tip your bow to the side and allows your arrow to flop around.

A limb driver also has way more cord between itself and the limb, 16-20” depending on the bow vs 6” on a cable driven one and that 16” piece is stretched super tight vs 6” sitting loose. Which would be susceptible to getting broke or damaged by coming in contact with something sharp?

Those are my thoughts, there are zero reliability issues I have found with either. I’ve hunted and killed deer in single digits more than once and shoot in the cold a lot. Both are plenty reliable and it comes down to personal choice. I would go mess with both and see what you would like more and which suits your hunting style. I spot and stalk or run and gun hunt mule deer and elk and a lot of times that requires me to move for a better lane while having an arrow nocked. Many times I have a range finder in one had and a nocked arrow and the QAD holds my arrow right where it should while I’m moving around. Above are the reasons in chose a cable vs limb driven, everyone has there own reason and preferences.

Last edited:
OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Well it looks like the bow I'm hoping to buy has a hamskea hybrid that the guy is throwing in for free, so I may get to play around with both anyways!

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
One Hoyt RX4 Ultra acquired, with a hamskea hybrid hunter thrown in for free. Bow looks pretty good to me. One or two tiny paint chips, but overall solid. Strings look to be in dang good shape.
So now I need to:
1. get the poundage dialed down closer to 60 cause I'm not keen on trying to yank 70 back after freezing all day in a stand.
2. get a release so I can have the shop help me set a draw length
3. adjust this rest. I don't think it's set up right
4. find a sight and a quiver, and figure out how the heck they attach to the bow.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
One Hoyt RX4 Ultra acquired, with a hamskea hybrid hunter thrown in for free. Bow looks pretty good to me. One or two tiny paint chips, but overall solid. Strings look to be in dang good shape.
So now I need to:
1. get the poundage dialed down closer to 60 cause I'm not keen on trying to yank 70 back after freezing all day in a stand.
2. get a release so I can have the shop help me set a draw length
3. adjust this rest. I don't think it's set up right
4. find a sight and a quiver, and figure out how the heck they attach to the bow.
I would pick up Carter Wise Choice. Most economical high end release IMO. Get a Bowmar nose button as well. That should get you anchored properly.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I would pick up Carter Wise Choice. Most economical high end release IMO. Get a Bowmar nose button as well. That should get you anchored properly.
I found a nock 2 it on AT for a good price. Also have a MBG 3 pin inbound courtesy of the classifieds here!

Reactions: Zac

I'd recommend against spending money on anything Bowmar.

You can use serving to put a few knots on the string like we did long before Bromar decided to patent a piece of plastic.