Help me choose a 7mm..

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm waiting for a custom 7 Max hunting rifle to show up any day now. 3 reasons I went with the Max, non belted, lighter weight action (AnTi XM), brass quality and availability. I watched for SAUM brass and dies for months and wasn't able to find any, I kept tabs on the Sherman website and was able to get a set of dies and 200pcs of ADG brass that will likely last the life of my barrel because I don't plan on pushing it to the max. Pun intended..

But in comparison to the other offerings I had the same issues with reloading 7RM as @wind gypsy mentioned, growth above the belt and needing a collet body die in an annoying extra step to size it down far enough to chamber easily. Also more of a possibility of case head separation. The brass offerings for 7WSM is crap so you either have to deal with it or fireform 270/300WSM. I don't like the short neck either, so 7-300WSM was the next possibility, but it eats up a little case capacity and requires legit false shoulder fireforming. So in the end you can buy either SAUM or Max headstamped brass and load it up to run right there with the WSM, but you have a longer neck on better brass. Made sense to me.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I'm waiting for a custom 7 Max hunting rifle to show up any day now. 3 reasons I went with the Max, non belted, lighter weight action (AnTi XM), brass quality and availability. I watched for SAUM brass and dies for months and wasn't able to find any, I kept tabs on the Sherman website and was able to get a set of dies and 200pcs of ADG brass that will likely last the life of my barrel because I don't plan on pushing it to the max. Pun intended..

But in comparison to the other offerings I had the same issues with reloading 7RM as @wind gypsy mentioned, growth above the belt and needing a collet body die in an annoying extra step to size it down far enough to chamber easily. Also more of a possibility of case head separation. The brass offerings for 7WSM is crap so you either have to deal with it or fireform 270/300WSM. I don't like the short neck either, so 7-300WSM was the next possibility, but it eats up a little case capacity and requires legit false shoulder fireforming. So in the end you can buy either SAUM or Max headstamped brass and load it up to run right there with the WSM, but you have a longer neck on better brass. Made sense to me.
Great explanation to your conclusion and most likely where I'm going to end up myself. Let's see that gun when it comes in

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Something between 7mm-08 and 280AI, anything beyond there is diminishing returns. 7mag gives you 9% greater velocity over 7mm-08 but burns 40% more powder.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Something between 7mm-08 and 280AI, anything beyond there is diminishing returns. 7mag gives you 9% greater velocity over 7mm-08 but burns 40% more powder.
That's an apples to oranges comparison and depends on how far you plan to shoot. Run the math on those launching 180's..

WKR
A 7x57 on a Mauser action is a classic.

But if classic doesn’t interest you, go 7-08 for handy or 7RM for high performance.

If I wanted to shoot a 7mm, I’d go classic with the 7x57 but that might not be the right choice for everyone.

While there is really nothing wrong with a .280, it offers no practical advantage over a .270 and the .270 has more history.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
While there is really nothing wrong with a .280, it offers no practical advantage over a .270 and the .270 has more history.
Bullet selection for .280 is huge advantage alone..

WKR
Bullet selection for .280 is huge advantage alone..
It isn’t for me, although I realize some people like .284 caliber bullets for that aspect.

I find a reliable load that I trust and use it for everything that I’d use that caliber for. After that it becomes a matter of knowing what I can do with my rifle and load and how to apply that in a hunting situation.

I kill elk with a .270/130, Partition or TTSX. If I’m fortunate enough to draw a moose tag someday, I’ll use one of those. I won’t step it up to a 150 just because it’s a moose.

I won’t tell people who like a bigger bullet selection that it’s wrong, but it’s not a consideration for me. I don’t want more bullet options. But I can always use more practice with what I already have.

But I digress. The question was, “Which 7mm?” I vote 7x57 because it’s a classic.

Last edited:

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
7mm-08 would do all you need for sure.

If going lightweight, I would probably land there by default.

At the moment, I’m shooting a 7 WSM and SAUM. WSMs have had the edge in accuracy for me in the past, but it’s mostly a wash there.

With a 3” mag box, the WSM pulls ahead in velocity, but the only time I notice is when I’m shooting over my chrono.

If you’re going lightweight, don’t overlook a rebarrelled Kimber. I’m running one with a 1/8” Lilja in 7 SAUM this season, and loving it.

Only pic I have at the moment…but it’s a hammer!

fvPrBKG.jpg

Wanabe

FNG
Good choice on the hammer bullets. I’ve done quite a bit of load work up in a 7saum with these. I got the 155 absolute to 3348 fps and ran out of case capacity. Ran the 169’s to 3150.
I’d go 7saum
5063E1F0-6C3F-40C1-8127-3D4CA6652752.jpeg

Wanabe

FNG
Wonder where they are getting their figures. A 7 mag is closer to 20% more velocity with only 30% more powder.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a 300 WM for several years, and I wanted to try a 7mm RM for elk and deer.

I picked up one from RBros this year with Proof Research 26" carbon fiber barrel and Jewel trigger. It's a pleasure to shoot.

And I took my best whitetail deer with it this year.

Attachments

• UOMR7130.JPEG
    UOMR7130.JPEG
    156.2 KB · Views: 29

fishslap

WKR
I have been shooting a 300 WM for several years, and I wanted to try a 7mm RM for elk and deer.

I picked up one from RBros this year with Proof Research 26" carbon fiber barrel and Jewel trigger. It's a pleasure to shoot.

And I took my best whitetail deer with it this year.
What’s your opinion in the recoil difference between the two?

Super tag

WKR
I’m gonna get some flack for this one but here goes, I have had at least a dozen custom rifles over the past decade or so, including Gunwerks and some of the very best out there. I have to say that the Gunwerks out of the box has never let me down, including some extreme long range kills. I stopped in a local shop one day and ended up taking home a Christensen Traverse 7mm I just liked the way the rifle felt so I decided to try it out, now it has become my all round rifle. I developed a load for it with 168 Berger VLD, Nosler Brass and H1000 that can’t be beat, this rifle will shoot 1” groups at 200 yards all day long. 3” groups at 600 yards, which for me is outstanding, Maybe I got lucky? Don’t know but ended up selling off my “custom” rifles and spending the money on better optics and gear. Maybe I’ve turned the corner and realize I don’t need to spend so much to get a really accurate, dependable rifle. It shoots like a kitten, hardly any recoil, balanced, decent weight, and only cost me 2k 😂