HELP from reloading experts, barrel length and powder evaluation please on 20-250

I just purchased a custom 20-250 (20 cal wildcat) on a model 700 action. The rifle came with what should be a lifetime supply of custom loaded coyote loads. I do not reload so wish to shoot these. They are already confirmed to group on a dime.
I want to shorten the 26 inch barrel to use a suppressor. I have 2 loads:
- 50 gr bullets with 36.5 gr of H414
-57 gr bullets with 40 gr of Winchester 780

How fast burning are these powders? I am hoping to shorten the barrel to 22 inches or so but don't want to have a big fireball either. I am OK with some velocity loss as this will be a rocket no matter what.
Could use some opinions. Thanks

The 4 inches in barrel length won't affect anything, other than possibly the accuracy of those particular loads, that were developed specifically for that rifle with the 26" barrel. Shorter barrel could change that, but you won't know until you shoot it after it's been shortened.

Seriously I would be very reluctant to shorten the barrel, not due to the loss of a little velocity, but the fact that any change like that can affect the way the rifle shoots, and the loads that you have that are now extremely accurate, may no longer be accurate. Maybe you need to learn how to reload?

I guess I would be worried about the load changing with the shorter barrel. The load might shoot good and it might not it’s kind of just a gamble. I would personally leave it alone since you already have accurate loads. Specifically because this cartridge is a barrel burner.

Back