Help-draw length and draw weight issues

BamuleyID

FNG
Need some help on this. I put new strings and cables on in August 2022. Had initial peep twist but that settled out so I had thought things were finally was broke in. Lately I've been playing around with my draw length. Initial adjustments on mods and cable stop. A little micro adjustment with the string, 1.5 twists got me a 1/4 that I wanted. The other day the bow felt too easy to draw. I checked the draw weight and I had lost a couple lbs. 65 down to 61. I cranked down on the limbs to find it maxed out and that only got me back to 63.

Is this string stretch? Already time for new strings?

I've read and researched my self in circles. I haven't twisted the cables yet but am leaning toward that. Bow is still close to spec and is tuned well with current adjustments.

Bow: Bear threat with 60x strings and cables. New set of 60x strings and cables came with the bow when I got it.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

FYI, no take it to a shop recommendations please.

Add twists to the cables or remove twists from the string to increase draw weight. Below is a handy chart showing how twisting affects various parameters (it says Mathews but is generally applicable to other bows too).
Mathews Tuning Chart.jpg

Reactions: Zac
OP
BamuleyID

BamuleyID

FNG
Awesome chart, thanks. I'll be printing that off for reference. Any suggestions on how to maintain draw length if I twist up cables to get back to spec poundage? My d-loop is about 5/8ths. I like it there to keep some space between nock/string. Thought about adjusting DL with mods again and increasing d-loop to get close to where I need.

I would add cable twists to try to get DW up to spec then adjust DL as needed with the mods. After that you could fine tune DL via minor adjustments to string/cable twist. 7# light (assuming it's a 70# bow) is pretty far off, so I would address that first. I would guess your ATA is also measuring longer than spec.

OP
BamuleyID

BamuleyID

FNG
I would add cable twists to try to get DW up to spec then adjust DL as needed with the mods. After that you could fine tune DL via minor adjustments to string/cable twist. 7# light (assuming it's a 70# bow) is pretty far off, so I would address that first. I would guess your ATA is also measuring longer than spec.
The ATA was actually 3/16" shorter than spec. Twisted the cables and got back to spec draw, 70#. Brace height is spot on but ATA is now 3/8" short. DL length is back to where I want it as well. Not sure what the issue is with ATA but 3/8" doesn't seem too much to worry about.
Thanks for the help

This may be simple, but it's also possible to adjust the DL slightly by adjusting D-loop length. This can change where the string hits the nose/face depending on your anchor and how dramatic you change it. I wouldn't do anything drastic like this, I.e over 1/4inch, but I have adjusted 1/8-3/16 this way without any noticeable peep/anchor changes. My shop had it a bit long and I shortened it. You do have to watch out for nock pinch if you go too short. The benefit is, after you get your bow back into spec, the d-loop adjustment doesn't change that.

MattB

WKR
Stretch = temporary elongation (which you would not notice)
Creep = permanent elongation (which you would notice)

Reactions: Zac