Help build my rifle stable

outward

FNG
For whatever reason, I've decided to improve my stable of rifles and who better to turn to than you guys, right? I welcome all your input. I'm serious with archery but only dabble in rifles so I'm going to lean on your knowledge and experience of calibers, gunsmithing etc.

In the picture you'll see the 6 rifles that are currently in my lineup. I'd like to work with what I have and don't think there's a need for any new or full custom builds. Other than the 28 Nosler (that's already full custom from Horizon Firearms), my plan is to do semi-custom builds. Not immediately or all at once, but over the next (?) years... Eventually ending with 6 rifles covering all our needs, each family guns that will be worth owning for years. So we're talking caliber changes, rebarrel, new stocks, optics, etc.

So what are your recommendations?

My uses: I'm a hunter first and foremost. Then a long range plinker that's semi-obsessed with precision. No PRS or competitive stuff, but there's probably some kit that would overlap if I ever got into it. I live and hunt Texas all year, where hunts are a casual mix of 100-500 yards out of blinds or spot/stalk, but I'm also an active western hunter for mule deer, elk, antelope, bear and long-term all the NA species are on the bucket list. I also want to have something for my wife and kids that will be effective for Whitetails in Texas.

Taking the pictured rifles in order, here's how I see it breaking down:
  1. 223: Leave as-is the Rem Model Seven: traditional low-recoil and small frame gun for the kids learning. I have some 22LR and 22 Mags that also fill this niche.
  2. Light, high-end, western hunting medium caliber for deer and long range plinking: current 243 Win semi-custom built to 6.5 Creed. 6.5 PRC would be better but I'd have to find a magnum bolt face right? Better calibers? I'm thinking Manners EH-1 stock, Proof carbon barrel.
  3. Heavy magnum, longest range, somewhat heavy deer and elk rifle. This is finished with the 28 Nosler custom. Finished its 11.5 lbs so not light, but I did manage to take this backcountry in Idaho for a week long hunt covering 50 miles and it was manageable. #2 would be a lighter alternative.
  4. Texas casual hunting gun. Tailored for the wife and kids hunting deer sized game. Think box blinds and closer shots with a focus on managed recoil, steady shooting and reliable killing power for Whitetail and Axis Deer. This could be the future for my currently 30-06 A-bolt. I'm thinking heavy barrel, muzzle break/suppressor, but can't figure out what caliber to go to from the 30-06. I don't mind the 30-06 for this, but I want to get rid of my A-bolt's BOSS system on the barrel.
  5. 375 H&H. Leave as-is. If I ever get to do another dangerous game hunt or need it for any other reason. Fills a hole I guess.
  6. Current 416 Rem Mag: I got this for a buffalo hunt in Africa that was incredible, but I'll likely never have that opportunity again. To make something useful out of this: 300 PRC? 300 Win Mag? 340 Weatherby? If 300 PRC it would give me another long range heavy hitter fun gun to plink steel with. Wide open here but if 300 PRC then maybe McMillan A-3, DBM, etc?
Trying to minimize overlap and cover all the bases. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

rifles.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet stable! Guys we’re giving me a hard time for obsessing over the same question. I don’t own one, but think a 280 AI might be a nice add to round out your collection. Lots of love on here for that round and it’s pretty sweet from a ballistics standpoint.

Keep us posted!

Also noticed you don’t have a stainless rifle... something that is nice to have in nasty weather.

Wapiti1

WKR
A lever action in 30-30 is a lot of fun. Or one in .44mag.

I would sell the .416 to fund an ultralight custom on the model 7 in .308 Winchester (I know, not cool, but very versatile). I prefer the .243 over the .223 for my needs and teaching kids.

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

A lever action in 30-30 is a lot of fun. Or one in .44mag.

I would sell the .416 to fund an ultralight custom on the model 7 in .308 Winchester (I know, not cool, but very versatile). I prefer the .243 over the .223 for my needs and teaching kids.

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

Now that’s a good point... my 35 Rem lever action is a killing machine. Also noticed no AR15 or AR10 platforms. Plenty of good options there!

howl

WKR
You're missing something low recoil and adjustable for the family. Put an adjustable stock on the model seven or get an AR in .223 or 6.5G.

As for the stable, I can't limiting a range of guns. You need more; not a limited set.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzle loader - CVA Accura MT

Lever action - Henry All Weather

Semi Auto - AR 15/10 or Garand

If its another bolt action, maybe something that's around 100 years old from your favorite manufacturer.