Helene - any lessons learned, additional prep to do?

fwafwow

WKR
We were in the path but it was a non-event for us. Thoughts and prayers to all those who were not as fortunate.

I thought we were relatively prepared - lots of batteries and battery banks, water, food, etc., and we slept in the basement (no worries of water here - at the time - we were concerned about trees coming thru the house). But looking back, and without starting a full-blown prepper thread, I think I can do better.
  1. Flooding. We had zero worries about flooding, and we didn't have any. But I think lots of people were not concerned and had a different outcome. I'm looking at flood insurance. If there's no chance in 100 years, or 500 years, then it should be cheap, right?
  2. Comms. Maybe my metro area is less likely to completely lose cell tower coverage, but who knows? I'd hate for my kids to wonder for days if we are OK, etc.
    • inReach Mini - I need to become more familiar with the text functions (it's been years since I've texted with it), teach Mrs fwafwow how to use it, and maybe enable my subscription for more than just hunting season. Maybe look at an inReach Messenger to keep at the house or w/ the Mrs.
    • Radio. I got a HAM Technician license during the pandemic, so maybe it's time to invest in some equipment, and more learning (and practice). I don't have any friend or relative with a license, so I need to look into the options for getting messages to family, either via another HAM or a tech solution I've yet to learn.
    • Satellite phone - yeah, probably overkill. But I spend a good bit on some relatively unnecessary stuff. (More scopes than rifles? A RokStok when the OEM stock was probably fine? etc.) I can always use a rabbit hole. And if I have one, I can take it and the Mini in the field. (Even in the short time I'm researching sat phones while posting this, I think another inReach product is probably more realistic.)
    • iPhone 14>/iOS 18. I know there's another thread on this topic. I wonder if there are any anecdotes of the sat messaging capabilities working for those without cell coverage after Helene?
  3. Other?

Jmort1754

WKR
Having not been in the path of severe storms or disasters in years I look at this and think that I have become too complacent.

My parents house burned last year and they didn't have a SHTF bag with important stuff in it. It has taken them almost a yaear to get things figured out.

I know that I will be putting together a bag for the wife and myself as well as the kids to grab if something does happen.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Having not been in the path of severe storms or disasters in years I look at this and think that I have become too complacent.

My parents house burned last year and they didn't have a SHTF bag with important stuff in it. It has taken them almost a yaear to get things figured out.

I know that I will be putting together a bag for the wife and myself as well as the kids to grab if something does happen.
Good reminder about important stuff for having to leave. I’ve put that together before, but I need to update it.

TaperPin

WKR
Prayers for those who lost it all.

We had a 1000 year flood a few years ago - luckily we’re just high enough to not be flooded directly, but some places were wet for a month. 1000 year events sure seem to happen a lot more often than they should.

I can’t help thinking more than ever, where a house is located is more important than ever for fire or floods.

As our cars are replaced we’re going up a notch in size so more emergency gear can be stored more or less permanently in every one. The high heat inside a vehicle does weird things to food, so I’m still figuring that out.

An acquaintance had the power go out for a week in the middle of winter - his little Honda generator kept the furnace running, or cooled off the fridge, and allowed charging devices. Money well spent.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Water storage/collection, water purification. Bleach for sanitation. Large trash bags. Flares, glow sticks.

A power inverter with basic wire hookups to the battery and a long extension cord can cheaply an easily turn your car into a generator. Not the most fuel efficient but if you’re stuck at home might as well use the gas in your vehicles.

Talk to your neighbors ahead of time, especially the elderly about what medication and physical limitations they have. It’s just easier to know ahead of time how to help instead of trying to figure it out in a crisis.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’ve had a couple big snow storms and a wildfire cause challenges for some who got help through our neighborhood facebook group. I know many people stay away from most social media but keeping it around for community interaction/information isn’t a bad idea.