Heavier Puffy suggestions

The kelvin ws that Sitka used to make a warm! I wish I woulda bought one when they were closed out talked my dad into buying one he loves that thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pnuma makes an awesome heavy puffy. A cheap option is the browning super puffy parka - I have worn mine in alaska for two Moose hunts and it has been awesome. It has a windproof/water resistant shell that is fire. Its on clearance at optics planet right now.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a jacket from Stellar, super warm but not particularly pack able for back packing, however when day hunting it’s my go to when it’s cold. I also own a chamberlain and a lighter feathered friends. If it’s zero or below I’ll wear the feathered friends under one of the other jackets while sitting for long periods. Also as said previously a shell over the top will make a difference if blowing hard

rclouse79

WKR
I bought a couple puffy jackets online and was disappointed with the warmth. I then ordered a OR Coldfront and have been pleased. They have a camo(ish) pattern I saw a good deal on and bought. Now I leave a lot of layers home and just bring it a lot of trips. I liked it so much I ordered a bronze one on sale for $111 to wear to work in the winter.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The Rab product is good. But it is not box stitched. The lightest box stitched high-warmth down jacket is made by Montbell. It is phenomenal in performance and price. Do not confuse it with the "alpine light."

-J

Maverick1

WKR
Warmest I have used that is lighter is sitka kelvin down ws parka.
Warmest is cabelas stand hunter.
Come on, @*zap* - nobody is packing the Cabelas stand hunter for glassing! Unless they like packing mattresses into the backcountry! LOL. :) (You are right though, the Cabelas stand hunter or Berber extreme sets are about the warmest hunting gear. I weighed my Berber extreme the other day on a scale. Jacket was 4 lbs, 12.9 oz, bibs were 5 lbs, 4.6 oz. Total of 10 lbs, 1.5 oz for the set.)

Maverick1

WKR
There ain’t no replacement for displacement so if you’re truly glassing for long periods nothing beats lots of high quality down. Synthetic works too but the warmth per fill is IIRC similar to 500-600 FP down and goes downhill with use. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, read up on CLO value

Rab electron and neutrino are good with solid color options. FL Chamberlin in tan is good too on sale (I got one for my wife at scheels for $200). Sitka WS is also pretty good but is camo, not quite as much down, and was discontinued a while back. For synthetic Kifaru LP is worth looking into

For truly cold conditions you’ll also want insulated pants and foam pads (like a cut up Z pad) for your butt and feet. It’ll also help to loosen your laces to improve blood flow.

Nah, light synthetic won’t cut it, even with the fleece and shell, not if we’re talking November or later in the Rockies level of cold
This, right here. Also, to reiterate- synthetic insulation loses its CLO value over time. More rapidly than some may realize, actually.

Reactions: NSI