Hearing protection at the range

fwafwow

WKR
Mine are full shell, solid (no filter) plugs from OtoPro Technologies. I went to an audiologist to have impressions of my ears made and had a baseline hearing test done at the same time. The resuts showed I have no hearing loss, which I was pleased to find out (I'm 41 yo). The audiology clinic mailed the impressions to OtoPro, OtoPro mailed me the finished plugs. I love them. Was not cheap, but hearing loss is irreversible so the expense was worth it to me.
I’m with you - great use of funds. I will check out OtoPro and see what providers are in my area. Thx!

zdc1775

FNG
For me it really depends where I am shooting; outdoors I normally wear just plugs or muffs unless I am close to someone shooting a braked rifle or shooting an SBR, indoors I always double up.

I’m wondering if custom ear plugs would give a better seal than foam…might be worth a shot
Sadly customs don't give you any better performance than good foam plugs, assuming you are are using them correctly, but they are much more comfortable for most people and are harder to use incorrectly.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
For me it really depends where I am shooting; outdoors I normally wear just plugs or muffs unless I am close to someone shooting a braked rifle or shooting an SBR, indoors I always double up.

Sadly customs don't give you any better performance than good foam plugs, assuming you are are using them correctly, but they are much more comfortable for most people and are harder to use incorrectly.
The silicon plugs that I use on a plastic band around my neck when hunting seal much better than foam plugs. At the range I’ve always doubled up with foam plugs and muffs but next time I’ll do silicon plugs and muffs and see how it goes

Lawnboi

WKR
The silicon plugs that I use on a plastic band around my neck when hunting seal much better than foam plugs. At the range I’ve always doubled up with foam plugs and muffs but next time I’ll do silicon plugs and muffs and see how it goes
How are you inserting the plugs?

No way silicon plugs should even get close to a 32nrr foam ear plug inserted correctly.

fwafwow

WKR
I’m looking into the OtoPro options. I was leaning towards no electronics or filters option, like @Antares - but the electronic (and especially the filtered) options are much less expensive than I expected. I also use Sordin electronic muffs, normally over foamies.

Does anyone double up with electronic over the ear, and filtered in the ear?

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
How are you inserting the plugs?

No way silicon plugs should even get close to a 32nrr foam ear plug inserted correctly.
Lifting the top of the ear, rolling them up, inserting them, holding them in until they expand

zdc1775

FNG
I have to agree with Lawnboi, the highest rated silicone plugs are rated around 27-28 NRR, that actually is about the same for most custom molded ones too since they mostly use a similar material, while most of the better quality foam plugs get you 33 NRR. If you then add 20-30 NRR rated earmuffs over that you don't end up with 53 NRR, instead your actually around 35-38 NRR, with the 28 NRR silicone plugs you'll be right around 30-33 NRR, or about what you would get with foam alone.

That means that your gunshot, which we'll say is around 150 dB, you're still going to "hear" it at 120 ish dB assuming you are using your plugs and muffs properly. But because of the dB is measured that actually translates to the gunshot being "heard" at about 1/4 of the volume that it would be unprotected.

So for the most effective hearing protection, I would recommend try several different brands or styles of foam earplugs to see which one fits your ear better before you resort to silicone ones.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with Lawnboi, the highest rated silicone plugs are rated around 27-28 NRR, that actually is about the same for most custom molded ones too since they mostly use a similar material, while most of the better quality foam plugs get you 33 NRR. If you then add 20-30 NRR rated earmuffs over that you don't end up with 53 NRR, instead your actually around 35-38 NRR, with the 28 NRR silicone plugs you'll be right around 30-33 NRR, or about what you would get with foam alone.

That means that your gunshot, which we'll say is around 150 dB, you're still going to "hear" it at 120 ish dB assuming you are using your plugs and muffs properly. But because of the dB is measured that actually translates to the gunshot being "heard" at about 1/4 of the volume that it would be unprotected.

So for the most effective hearing protection, I would recommend try several different brands or styles of foam earplugs to see which one fits your ear better before you resort to silicone ones.
Gentleman, thank you for your suggestions. I must say that I have used different brands of foam plugs for years for sleeping or plane rides and find them okay for general things (they are cheap, and generally comfortable); but, they don’t seem to plug up my canal perfectly, especially of my right ear. As mentioned, the silicon plugs I have used seal the canal better and “stick” better in my ears, especially the right ear. Just like shoes, or rifle stocks, in my mind there is no one size fits all, regardless of the decibel rating. Everyone’s anatomy is unique, and some plug designs/material may work with some ears better than others. I’ll double up with some different kinds of plugs under muffs and we will see what we get 👍

I was walker razor slim electronic muffs or Howard Leight electronic muffs. The gf wears one pair and I wear the other

My son directed me to Decibulz.
You mold and fit them and the inner plug with the molded flange blocks sound better than any other plug I've found.
I doubled up silicon plugs with 30db muffs and still hated being hear the flash hider/brake crowd.
My old range considered banning braked rifles to the far end of the range away from other shooters.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks to the OP for the thread, and for the above posters.

The ringing in my ears is always there, and sometimes it prompts me to waste some time on something that may be beneficial.

I researched some options (and got some valuable feedback from another member). After an email to a company on Tuesday went unanswered, I got distracted and dug some more. Today I stumbled upon Big Ear (https://www.bigearinc.com/).

I spent a solid hour on chat - on a Sunday - with the President as he took in my situation and gave feedback that helped me consider a couple of options, including an idea of mine that would have been much more complicated, and expensive. Although I would normally spiral into various rabbit holes (including, of course, on company and product reviews, and a side issue of the various questions about validity of same), I decided to take a chance and pull the trigger - due in large part to have an executive on hand, not some AI chatbot, to help.

I decided to try this - https://www.bigearinc.com/product/best-pistol-range-earplugs/.

My thinking is that the above (as an example) can be used by me as follows:
  1. Most protection
    • Plug inserted + muffs (for me Sordin Supreme Pro-X)
    • Most likely range only
  2. Intermediate protection
    • Filter inserted + muffs
    • Better communications
    • Possibly the range or hunting
  3. Reduced protection
    • Filter (no muffs)
    • Reduced (but still good - IMHO) protection
    • Hunting only - suppressed
I will report back, maybe in a separate thread.