Hearing protection at the range

I do plugs, muffs, and a suppressor.

I have 45% loss in my left year from years of shooting and being around turbines. My right ear is only 15%, but that is 15% more than I would like.

If I could go back to my younger self, I would put a boot in my own ass for some of the stupid decisions I made about wearing hearing protection.

ianpadron

WKR
Foam plugs fully inserted/expanded with muffs over the top anytime I'm shooting a non suppressed or braked rifle. Really don't like them at all at a range with an overhang, just too much blast/concussion.

With a can, usually just plugs

IDVortex

WKR
If I could go back to my younger self, I would put a boot in my own ass for some of the stupid decisions I made about wearing hearing prprotection.
A old foreman I use to have always told me to wear heating protection especially inside of buildings using nail guns, I laughed at him and told him my hearing is fine. 12ish years later, I now have a buzzing/ringing in my ear. I'd go back in time and let myself know just how much of a jackass I was being.

Oldrifle

FNG
I double up when I remember, but it isn't quite enough. I wonder whether bespoke ear plugs provide a better seal than foam.It might be worth a shot.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I will never again shoot an animal without hearing protection, even if I miss the opportunity because I am putting plugs in. I wear plugs on a neck band around my neck in the field, and it’s quick to put them in. Didn’t do it once from impatience and sure wish I had.

Unckebob

WKR
I’m wondering what people are using at the range for hearing protection. What works best for you? I put foam plugs in and then muffs over. Even then, the noise from other shooters can seem a bit much at times. Maybe I just have sensitive ears, but I would like to keep them that way. The AR 15 flash suppressor rapid fire crowd that shows up at one of my ranges can be especially bad. Just recently I was at the range and there were about 4-5 of these militia style shooters going at it! Under a roof it’s especially loud. Finally when they left I looked over at the guy next to me who was working on some hand loads and we just shook our heads. My point being, sometimes doubling up doesn’t seem enough for me. Anybody else have this issue and if so what do you do?

I can’t believe the guys I see shooting with just foam plugs. While out hunting I don’t double up, but under a roof with other guys shooting, most definitely I do.

I bought the plastic ear plugs that mold to your ears. Not the most comfortable, but better than the foam at noise protection. At the range, I use muffs over the top of them. I am already nearly deaf in one ear. We are under a roof and there is a wooden barrier (to prevent people from shooting high) that reflects sound back at my range.

fwafwow

WKR
Best rated foam plugs, plus best rated (at the time I researched them) noise canceling headphones, plus can. And like others have said, I won’t shoot next to a brake.

I think I read on RS but can confirm, that noise canceling Apple AirPods don’t protect against loud noises.

Weldor

WKR
I have noticed some recent signs at the range about Brakes, looks like they are looking for suggestions about using them or where to use them. Rangemaster says he has more compliants this year than in the past. More the concussion than hearing. I know if you want a headache shoot next to one. If you want to clear the benches just us a JP brake blasts straight out both sides.

Lawnboi

WKR
Make sure you are properly putting in the foam plugs, and they are good ones.

If you wear glasses or and a hat get some muffs with gel cups, they seal better.

Even then I try to avoid being next to brakes.

I also shoot solely suppressed, I do t even like shooting next to bare muzzles anymore.

Weldor

WKR
Make sure you are properly putting in the foam plugs, and they are good ones.

If you wear glasses or and a hat get some muffs with gel cups, they seal better.

Even then I try to avoid being next to brakes.

I also shoot solely suppressed, I do t even like shooting next to bare muzzles anymore.
Same here.

I use neckband foam plugs. I don't shoot with crowds though and at steel solo. Seems to cut the noise from my braked 300 wby

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I use neckband foam plugs. I don't shoot with crowds though and at steel solo. Seems to cut the noise from my braked 300 wby
I can make you an ironclad guarantee that you are permanently damaging your hearing every single time you pull the trigger on your braked 300 wby with only neckband foam plugs inserted. For your own future, I encourage you to properly insert foam plugs and cover them up with muffs when shooting braked magnums. Even so, there is no guarantee of complete safety - but it’s orders of magnitude less damaging.

-J

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
Some dude next to me was shooing a braked 556 (why brake a 556? Ha ha). It was ridiculous. I had to step back well behind him each time he got on the trigger and wait for him to finish. Had the foam plugs in deep and the muffs on. Still loud beside him, not so bad 15 feet behind, but unenjoyable. The silicon plugs are in the mail. I wish they would put all the brakes on the same line so they could all suffer together. Let the rest of us shoot in relative peace.

I found it interesting the kid was only wearing ear plugs

Some dude next to me was shooing a braked 556 (why brake a 556? Ha ha). It was ridiculous. I had to step back well behind him each time he got on the trigger and wait for him to finish. Had the foam plugs in deep and the muffs on. Still loud beside him, not so bad 15 feet behind, but unenjoyable. The silicon plugs are in the mail. I wish they would put all the brakes on the same line so they could all suffer together. Let the rest of us shoot in relative peace.

I found it interesting the kid was only wearing ear plugs
lol I have the courtesy of not shooting around anyone with a brake for that sole reason. The 4-6 shots I do take every year to verify and then hunt with.

Will be investing in a can for my two rifles.

Antares

WKR
My range hearing protection plan is as follows:

1) I show up at the range at 5:30 am, which generally guarantees I'm the only shooter.

2) I wear custom, full shell ear plugs.

3) I shoot a big can (Hyperion).

4) If someone sets up next to me with a brake, I immediately put on a headset (over my plugs) and then decide whether to move farther down the line or leave.

Kurts86

WKR
MSA Sordins with gel cups are my preferred ear pro. I will add foamies under electronic ear muffs if I’m at an indoor range or stuck next to someone shooting a shorter barreled braked rifle.

Mostly I prefer a private range with space to spread out and I just wear electronic muffs with a suppressor.

fwafwow

WKR
My range hearing protection plan is as follows:

1) I show up at the range at 5:30 am, which generally guarantees I'm the only shooter.

2) I wear custom, full shell ear plugs.

3) I shoot a big can (Hyperion).

4) If someone sets up next to me with a brake, I immediately put on a headset (over my plugs) and then decide whether to move farther down the line or leave.
Since I have ever-present ringing in my ears, I'm always trying to improve my protection. Where/how/what brand did you get your custom, full shell ear plugs? I got a set years ago at a gun show, but I suspect they were not ideal, and it's been a long time.

Antares

WKR
Since I have ever-present ringing in my ears, I'm always trying to improve my protection. Where/how/what brand did you get your custom, full shell ear plugs? I got a set years ago at a gun show, but I suspect they were not ideal, and it's been a long time.

Mine are full shell, solid (no filter) plugs from OtoPro Technologies. I went to an audiologist to have impressions of my ears made and had a baseline hearing test done at the same time. The resuts showed I have no hearing loss, which I was pleased to find out (I'm 41 yo). The audiology clinic mailed the impressions to OtoPro, OtoPro mailed me the finished plugs. I love them. Was not cheap, but hearing loss is irreversible so the expense was worth it to me.