Hearing protection at the range

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wondering what people are using at the range for hearing protection. What works best for you? I put foam plugs in and then muffs over. Even then, the noise from other shooters can seem a bit much at times. Maybe I just have sensitive ears, but I would like to keep them that way. The AR 15 flash suppressor rapid fire crowd that shows up at one of my ranges can be especially bad. Just recently I was at the range and there were about 4-5 of these militia style shooters going at it! Under a roof it’s especially loud. Finally when they left I looked over at the guy next to me who was working on some hand loads and we just shook our heads. My point being, sometimes doubling up doesn’t seem enough for me. Anybody else have this issue and if so what do you do?

I can’t believe the guys I see shooting with just foam plugs. While out hunting I don’t double up, but under a roof with other guys shooting, most definitely I do.

Jn78

WKR
I double up at the range and I use the highest decibel rated muffs and plugs I can find. Other than that I don’t know what else can be done. My ears ring all the time as it is and I don’t want it getting worse.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wondering if custom ear plugs would give a better seal than foam…might be worth a shot

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I usually leave, especially with breaked magnums. When I can physically feel the blast wave hit my face from 20 feet away the sound from bone conduction through my skull alone is more than I want, so short of a fully enclosed helmet, no ear pro will be adequate.

Thankfully, I frequently have the range to myself, and if not there is a 100 yard pistol bay I can go to, or the 300 yard tactical range. If all are full, I shoot another day. I also go early in the morning and during bad weather on purpose to minimize the number of other shooters around.

I double up when I remember, which isn’t near enough. The whole tactical crowd that shows up and dumps mags gets frustrating pretty quick. I was out this morning and had the range to myself until a couple other dudes showed up. It was fine at first they just had bolt guns out, right at the end the one guy pulls out a 556 and started dumping rounds and flinging brass all over me. I get it it’s a public range but a little common sense would be nice…kind of asking a lot nowadays though I guess.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I usually leave, especially with breaked magnums. When I can physically feel the blast wave hit my face from 20 feet away the sound from bone conduction through my skull alone is more than I want, so short of a fully enclosed helmet, no ear pro will be adequate.

Thankfully, I frequently have the range to myself, and if not there is a 100 yard pistol bay I can go to, or the 300 yard tactical range. If all are full, I shoot another day. I also go early in the morning and during bad weather on purpose to minimize the number of other shooters around.
Birchwood range?

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any real advice for you, but maybe try to find a good audiologist? I bet most shooters top out at plugs and muffs, but if you can get tapped into the industrial safety world you can probably do better.

Jake T

Lil-Rokslider
I found the silicone ear plugs work a bit better than the foamy spark plug type. Maybe those and muffs might get you a bit more, but it unfortunately won’t be much.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I found the silicone ear plugs work a bit better than the foamy spark plug type. Maybe those and muffs might get you a bit more, but it unfortunately won’t be much.
I was wondering the same. The silicone I have used do seal off the ear canal a bit better. Just bought some. Thanks

IDVortex

WKR
I'm honestly am lucky. Where I work I get to be able to shoot almost 500 yards and the only other ones who get to use this is 12 other guys.

Before, when I went to ranges I used electronic muffs, now when I shoot I just use foam due to my can.

Has anyone ever tried the noise cancelling headphones? My son's airpods have noise cancelling built in but haven't tried it with shooting yet. Maybe earmuffs over top of them?

Weldor

WKR
I’m wondering if custom ear plugs would give a better seal than foam…might be worth a shot
I use the form fit, works very well for me. Running heavy equipment, shooting and machinery in general has trashed my hearing. Even way back in sevice we had minimal hearing protection.

Foam plugs used correctly are very good, but not enough for shooting near a brake. I add electric muffs over foam plugs.

At our private range, same same, except when shooting the Rokslide special in .223. Hyperion is remarkably hearing safe.
20240626_201526~2.jpg

Has anyone ever tried the noise cancelling headphones? My son's airpods have noise cancelling built in but haven't tried it with shooting yet. Maybe earmuffs over top of them?
I used mine a while back when I did my ccw renewal. Like an idiot I forgot my muffs at home and realized it when we got to the range. My ear buds were all I had. They worked ok, but not great. I wouldn't have wanted to be around a braked rifle with just them.

IDVortex

WKR
If I remember to take them out of my lunch box. I'll wear my ISO Tune ear buds.