Have any of you taken fair chase literally?

S.Clancy

WKR
I've figured out I can out sprint a turkey over short distances. So, I call, get a response, and then run then down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Way more interesting than calling them in. I shot my second turkey last year mid stride. You should have seen the look on his face.

OP
bguitierez
I've figured out I can out sprint a turkey over short distances. So, I call, get a response, and then run then down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Way more interesting than calling them in. I shot my second turkey last year mid stride. You should have seen the look on his face.

mid stride is so cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha. Yeah I’ve ghosted a few hunting partners dude. It’s always funny to come back to them and they are like “Where’d ya go!?” I’ve also hunted with guys that really only go after animals in front of them.

Haha yeah, my main hunting partner doesn't even worry about it anymore. He just keeps moving in the direction till he hears my shot or catches up lmao.. that mentality may, or may not have made for some grueling an "fun" pack outs lmao. The fun part is when ya get caught up in the stalk/chase an once it's over you realize you're way further in then ya thought or planned lmao

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My best friend that comes up with me at least one week in September knows that as soon as I get that response, I'm gone.......and he's on his own. He can either try to keep up, just keep tabs on me from my calling, or head back to camp. We've been separated for 2+ hours at times and then maybe run back into each other. One time he asked me........"Did you even see me or that raghorn that snuck in when you ran past us chasing that big bull"? My reply........"Nope". Only one target on my mind at that point, everything else is tuned out.

mtnkid85

WKR
Years ago I got a good friend on a bull by running in on them.

We had glassed up a single bull in a big heard of cows. We circled around on them and worked up through the trees, slipping in among cows. Several times we had cows inside of 50 yards of us, it took much longer slipping in on them than we had time for. Finally minutes before the end of shooting light we make it to the opening that most of the herd is in, with the bull. We eased along as much as we could but eventually we had to just break out into a run to make the next little roll and get a shot on the bull.

We had cows flowing all around us, running with them for a few hundred yards, made a good shot on his bull and got it done. It was fun.

It was absolutely "fair chase", it took us 3 hours to ease through all those elk in the trees, but you can get away with a lot with a big herd, if they don't wind you.

OP
bguitierez
Haha yeah, my main hunting partner doesn't even worry about it anymore. He just keeps moving in the direction till he hears my shot or catches up lmao.. that mentality may, or may not have made for some grueling an "fun" pack outs lmao. The fun part is when ya get caught up in the stalk/chase an once it's over you realize you're way further in then ya thought or planned lmao

yeah man. That’s when you look around after the dust settles and say.... “Well this was a great idea!”

OP
bguitierez
My best friend that comes up with me at least one week in September knows that as soon as I get that response, I'm gone.......and he's on his own. He can either try to keep up, just keep tabs on me from my calling, or head back to camp. We've been separated for 2+ hours at times and then maybe run back into each other. One time he asked me........"Did you even see me or that raghorn that snuck in when you ran past us chasing that big bull"? My reply........"Nope". Only one target on my mind at that point, everything else is tuned out.

Hahahahaha that’s so awesome. Well dude at least y’all have an understanding. My best bud is in his mid 50s. I’m 39, by no means an athletic machine anymore. But for his age there’s no quit in this man. That said we have a very similar understanding. When I killed that pronghorn, the best part was when we both first saw the heard from a long way away. He just looks at me grins and says... “Well bud you better start running I’ll bring your pack.” Now that’s a good dude. Then again this year we were on his deer hunt and stalked in 2 miles up a steeeeep mountain face. As we were getting in I repaid him by carrying his and my pack up the mountain. Pals are a great thing in the mountains.

OP
bguitierez
Years ago I got a good friend on a bull by running in on them.

We had glassed up a single bull in a big heard of cows. We circled around on them and worked up through the trees, slipping in among cows. Several times we had cows inside of 50 yards of us, it took much longer slipping in on them than we had time for. Finally minutes before the end of shooting light we make it to the opening that most of the herd is in, with the bull. We eased along as much as we could but eventually we had to just break out into a run to make the next little roll and get a shot on the bull.

We had cows flowing all around us, running with them for a few hundred yards, made a good shot on his bull and got it done. It was fun.

It was absolutely "fair chase", it took us 3 hours to ease through all those elk in the trees, but you can get away with a lot with a big herd, if they don't wind you.

Dang! That had to be awesome being so close to so many animals.

I saw a group of doe whitetails headed down a hillside on the opposite side of the valley from me once, headed towards a draw below me, obviously bumped. I ran probably 1/2 mile in a foot and a half of snow to cut them off. I laid down the last 100 yards and crawled up over a small rise. Caught them in the middle of the field and shot a mature doe. I'm not sure that I was even old enough to hunt by myself at this point but I was already addicted.

OP
bguitierez
I saw a group of doe whitetails headed down a hillside on the opposite side of the valley from me once, headed towards a draw below me, obviously bumped. I ran probably 1/2 mile in a foot and a half of snow to cut them off. I laid down the last 100 yards and crawled up over a small rise. Caught them in the middle of the field and shot a mature doe. I'm not sure that I was even old enough to hunt by myself at this point but I was already addicted.

Gotta shoot dem does man!

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Not proud of this but I shot my buck this year in the front leg just below the shoulder had to track him for approx 1 1/2 miles it took me an hour and half maybe two hours didn't see him once. There was patchy snow and just little drops of blood. In certain spots there would be several different deer tracks and I would have to follow out several before I found the one that had a speck of blood in it. I was absolutely sick about it the whole time but I didn't give up. Ended up tracking him all the way back to where I shot him. Found him bedded in the creek bottom and I bumped him. He got up but wasn't moving very well. I seen him heading for a fence line I knew he'd struggle to make the leap I was correct. He stopped for a second to look back at me and I finished him quick with a shot thru jugular hitting the spine dropping him instantly.

I plan on putting in more time with my rifle this off season and I bought a newer, better scope. I've been shooting that rifle for 20 years. It was a long shot but I've made far tougher ones before. I think I've just gotten too lax and took it for granted. I won't make that mistake again.