Havalon

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had their hands on the new Havalon Piranta Bolt? Any opinions on the 60A (Piranta Bolt or Piranta Torch) blades versus the 60XT blades (Piranta Edge)? I have an Edge, but am kicking around the idea of getting a Bolt so I can use 60A and 60XT blades. The 60A blades are thicker, but I don't know if they keep an edge better/longer, etc.

sk1

WKR
i have the piranta torch. i never bought the standard piranta out of concern on breaking blades....so i cant really compare those blades to the torch as i only touched them once, but if i can remember right thought they were too flimsy. the torch with the thicker blades feels perfect! my biggest concern was popping the ball joint on the hind quarter of an elk, and i dont see that being an issue with these new blades. i mean you cant stick the knife in there and dig around like a shovel, but if you bend it a little here and there i dont see it being an issue. it will be the only knife coming with me next season

I don't see any real advantage or disadvantage to the Torch that I used, and because of that I did not buy it.
The blades are thicker, and from my limited experience seemed to hold an edge just as well. However I don't really break blades with the Edge, and since I already have one I see no real reason to purchase the Torch.

Having said all of that, if I did not already own the Edge I would probably buy the Torch.

Slim Jim

WKR
I have the torch and the edge. I use the edge for mule deer and the torch for elk. The cape on elk just seem to break the blades on the edge especially down the back of the neck where it is thick. If you carry a fixed blade knife to cut the cape all the way down the spine and just use the havalon for skinning, then the edge is all you'll need.

Daniel_M

WKR
I have the torch and the edge. I use the edge for mule deer and the torch for elk. The cape on elk just seem to break the blades on the edge especially down the back of the neck where it is thick. If you carry a fixed blade knife to cut the cape all the way down the spine and just use the havalon for skinning, then the edge is all you'll need.

Something I started carrying was a carpet knife with the J hook end. I can have all my caping cuts, dorsal and legs done in short order. Cutco DD fixed/folder is also a super popular kit knife.

I have several havalon knives. The biggest game I get to hunt is deer. I have done dozens and dozens of deer with my edge and never broke one blade. I did however get a torch for the thicker blades just because. Most broken blades I see are on elk,moose, big animals. It is when side pressure is applied that they can break.

OP
K

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they're making back a few bucks on the sale price via S&H. I'm thinking you could ship a padded envelope that size for $5.

jmez

WKR
Edge retention should be the same. A knife "holding and edge" is dependent on the hardness/quality of the steel and also how fine of an edge is on the knife. Disposable blades are neither hard nor high quality. They also have a very fine, laser sharpened edge. By design, they are not made to hold an edge. They are identical to surgeons scalpel blades. Scary sharp for making very fine, precision cuts and throw in the trash. Surgeons will go through several in a single surgery if cutting a lot.

OP
K

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Bolt and gave it a thorough look over. Hopefully this information will help to someone in the future. I've found Havalon's website and customer service to be lacking. The Bolt has a 4 5/8" handle and weighs 1.5 oz w/o a blade. The Edge has a 4 3/8" handle and weighs 1.4 oz w/o a blade. I find the Bolt to have a more secure feeling in the hand because it is more contoured and slightly longer. I have three different blades. The 60A weighs 0.08 oz w/o wrapper, 60XT weighs 0.07 oz w/o wrapper, and 22 weighs 0.04 oz w/o wrapper. The 60A and 60XT have 2.5 inch blades and the 22 has a 1.5 inch blade. All three blades fit the Bolt very well. The Edge will fit a 60XT very well, a 22 is slightly loose, and a 60A will not fit (too tight). The general on-line consensus is that the 60A are stronger and better for larger animals compared to the 60XT. The 22 is suppose to be thinner than the 60XT, but it appears to me it will be less likely to break than the 60XT because it is shorter. It has less flex on the knife handle.